Why didn’t some of these receivers live up to their draft status?

DirtyDez

Too early to judge guys in the third year or less so I’m listing 2015-2019 [b]drafted in the first 2 rounds[/b].  Not calling them busts just players that were underwhelming:

(in order of drafted)

Kevin White

Breshad Perriman

Phillip Dorsett

Devin Smith

Dorial Green-Beckham

Corey Colenan

Josh Doctson

Laquon Treadwell

John Ross

Zay Jones

Dante Pettis

Anthony Miller

N’Keal Harry

JJ Arcega-Whitesidd

Parris Campbell 

Andy Isabella

-

I’ll start.  Isabella couldn’t beat press coverage or track long balls.  They thought he could fit in Kingbury’s YAC offense but he couldn’t shake anyone with the ball in his hands. 

Edited by DirtyDez

3 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

N’Keal Harry

Couldn't get separation, even in college. He relied on his physical tools IE; jumping, size, strength. When opposing DBs had comparable measurables, he floundered. He could no longer play that game the same way he had been probably for his entire life and he just never adjusted. 

27 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Too early to judge guys in the third year or less so I’m listing 2015-2019 [b]drafted in the first 2 rounds[/b].  Not calling them busts just players that were underwhelming:

(in order of drafted)

Kevin White

Anthony Miller

Kevin White was injured from his first camp on, whether he would have lived up to his draft status who knows. Anthony Miller had the potential just didn't have the desire to put in the work to reach that potential.

35 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Dorial Green-Beckham

Physical marvel but lacked pretty much every intangible required to be an even moderate pro. Tack on a bunch of off field issues and you have a failure at the pro level.

Think he's in jail right now.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

N’Keal Harry

Couldn't get open, basically. No wiggle or acceleration whatsoever. He was supposed to play like one of these big, strong possession receivers who could outmuscle guys for 50/50 balls (think Alshon Jeffery) but he had literally no real skills as a receiver. He should've gained 15-20 lbs and transitioned to TE when Belichick put him primarily in run blocking duty, but I guess that's not in the cards for him with the Bears, either.

Edited by Apparition

10 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Couldn't get separation, even in college. He relied on his physical tools IE; jumping, size, strength. When opposing DBs had comparable measurables, he floundered. He could no longer play that game the same way he had been probably for his entire life and he just never adjusted. 

He is so bad Chicago isn't even using him.

8 hours ago, BigTrav said:

I'm guessing with most of them you could throw a blanket of "they either can't get open or they don't have a football brain" over them.

There are a few injury prone guys - John Ross, Parris Campbell, Kevin White, Corey Coleman, Devin Smith, Breshard Perriman come to mind.

We take for granted how people quickly recover from knee injuries such as an ACL, but the truth is - not all bodies heal the same way. Some guys lose what makes 'em special when the body gets out of sync.

19 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Phillip Dorsett

He's actually the starting slot WR in Houston - if he had a QB who can throw the ball in his general vicinity, he might be able to do something.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ET80 said:

Physical marvel but lacked pretty much every intangible required to be an even moderate pro. Tack on a bunch of off field issues and you have a failure at the pro level.

Think he's in jail right now.

He suffered from entitled athlete syndrome.  Also had a poor work ethic.  But man, he was big and fast.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

He's actually the starting slot WR in Houston - if he had a QB who can throw the ball in his general vicinity, he might be able to do something.

Interesting. He was only ever a deep threat in NE, never had the chance to even get decent snaps in the slot for obvious reasons. Body catcher that could adjust to the ball somewhat well but it had to be a drop in the basket. 

Before he was drafted, I thought he’d be what Tyler Lockett turned into.