2022 FIFA World Cup [Sun, 20 Nov 2022 – Sun, 18 Dec 2022]

Hunter2_1

It was a jersey not a flag and it was on the ground and his foot accidentally touched it when he extended his leg to remove his cleats. Should a Mexico jersey be on the ground? Idk buts it’s a jersey and not a flag. Really saw what your eyes wanted to see there 

Edited by agarcia34

So, as for rankings so far, I have it;

1. France (look the most complete team, Mbappe on form)

2. Brazil (0 shots on their goal. They've struggled to create a lot of chances, but have done their job)

3. Spain (Control games. Germany's press rattled them a bit, but their intricate passing and possession will destroy the fitness of teams coming up)

4. Portugal (They couldn't beat Uruguay last time, this time they had far too much quality)

5. England (Hard to get at them, they don't use their potential, but they have a lot of control and defensive protection. Won't concede many goals at all)

6. Croatia (So classy in MF. Kovacic is working his nuts off, Modric is velvet as always, Brozovic cleans up the trash. They have the perfect midfield)

Disappointing teams

Argentina (This is NOT the same team that beat Italy. They lack cohesion and a plan. Only moments of individual brilliance has resulted in their 2 open play goals. They will crash out)

Netherlands (Trash)

Belgium (old, they do not care, there is no plan, even with KdB and Hazard there is no creativity. Martinez coaching them is like Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams)

Uruguay (Proud footballing nation, usually get through to latter rounds. Just can't score)

Overall Themes

- First half goals are hard to come by

- Teams seem very reluctant to take risks. Scared of losing possession in midfield, has led to cagey games. I guess this is because group stage games - you can get by with draws, but losses will cripple your chances

- Lesser teams (on paper) are working very very hard to spoil and make it hard for the big nations. See USA pressing the hell out of England, Mexico and Saudi pressing and scrapping against Argentina. Teams are mostly playing around the back because they're under so much pressure in midfield 

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, as for rankings so far, I have it;

1. France (look the most complete team, Mbappe on form)

2. Brazil (0 shots on their goal. They've struggled to create a lot of chances, but have done their job)

3. Spain (Control games. Germany's press rattled them a bit, but their intricate passing and possession will destroy the fitness of teams coming up)

4. Portugal (They couldn't beat Uruguay last time, this time they had far too much quality)

I'll be really shocked if one of those 4 doesn't win it, with Brazil as my clear #1. I think Germany and Argentina still have an outside shot but are clearly not as good as the big 4. I don't think England is even close.

If USA gets a win today, they'll play Netherlands/Ecuador so they have a shot to get to the quarterfinals!

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I'll be really shocked if one of those 4 doesn't win it, with Brazil as my clear #1. I think Germany and Argentina still have an outside shot but are clearly not as good as the big 4. I don't think England is even close.

If USA gets a win today, they'll play Netherlands/Ecuador so they have a shot to get to the quarterfinals!

Brazil probably my favourites at this stage too. They're not the most dangerous side, but their depth is clearly the out and out best. I can see a 0-0 in the final, and them bringing the likes of Jesus, Martinelli, Rodygo off the bench. No one else has that.

England are what they are in tournaments under Southgate. Very defensive, disciplined and tough to score against. They don't play to their attacking potential, but with a double defensive shield and sometimes 5 at the back, it's hard to put them away. Took them until the SF in the euros to concede, and only conceded 2 goals all tournament

Feels like there is no one or two teams that are next level and loaded all around as usual (ie France, Germany, Spain, Italy of years past)

A healthy France would be but they’re missing some crucial guys, Brazil and Argentina have so so midfieldS, Spain’s front 3 aren’t quite elite, etc. Closest thing to a titan in this bunch is France imo

Edited by amac