Brett Hundley depreciation thread

Lunch Pail

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Even tho Hundley has found a way to  help us win these past 2 games I seriously doubt any GM is going to be beating down the door for his services.  

I don’t know about that... these last 3 weeks Hundley has shown a lot. Say what you will but after that terrible ravens game he has protected the ball and has been big in crunch time.

having said that, is GB getting a 1st or 2nd for him? No. I don’t even think a 3rd... but a 4th? I could see a Ari, Mia, Cin, Was(if they lose Cousins), Buf, NYJ, Jags, Den, LAC all interested if it’s just a 4th. All have unstable QB situations and a young QB that has won... a guy like Bruce Arians or whoever would have an ego to see Hundley win in crunch time and say “I can make him consistent in the first half of the game. Let’s just get him in the door and in our offense.”

The real question is... is say a 4th rounder enough for GB to want to deal? Or is Hundley more valuable next year as the backup?

32 minutes ago, MathMan said:

is hundley more than a single read, running qb?

if not, nobody will pay anything for him

Hundley problem is he is young, inexperienced and inconsistent. He has moments where he looks the part looking off safeties, creating second reaction plays, etc  ... but then he looks lost.

He should know the offense but I get the feeling he is uncomfortable “RUNNING” everything. You can see he is great at the beginning of games (first drive) and during quick hurry up portions. I’m sure this is because everything gets simplified and he can just play. He’d probably benefit having a Julio type and doing the Brett Favre thing early and just kind of throw it up when in doubt.

Also teams are starving for QBs in this league... someone would pay something for Hundley, again it comes down to if it’s worth it for GB. They almost dealt him this last offseason... and he hasn’t done anything to scare GMs off, the only issue is he hasn’t done anything to have them pounding on GB’s door desperately trying to get him on their team either.

4 hours ago, MathMan said:

is hundley more than a single read, running qb?

if not, nobody will pay anything for him

That's not what matters.  What matters is whether or not anybody likes what they see from his highlights and also believes they can groom him into being the QB they want him to be. 

Trades, draft selections and free agent signings aren't (or shouldn't be) made by what a player HAS DONE.  When it comes to the good GMs and the ones who know what it takes to be a good GM, those moves are made based on what they think a player WILL DO. 

So the only thing that matters in the conversation of whether or not we could get something for Hundley is...

Has a GM looked at Hundley's play, good and bad, and thought, "If I could get him to stop doing this, keep doing that..." 

I believe Hundley has shown enough to suggest he's worth taking a shot on.  Matt Flynn signed a rather large contract with Seattle when everybody knew about his physical limitations.  Hundley has shown a strong arm and top level maneuverability, escapability and running ability.  He has shown more than top ten draft picks like Gabbert showed in their whole first years. 

The only reason people keep saying, "We couldn't get a frying pan for Hundley..." is the same pessimist bull that goes on everywhere else here.  People hate being wrong and hate letdowns and are so terrified of putting faith into anything that they just say everything's impossible.  It's an antifan mentality and frankly I don't know why they watch sports with that kind of attitude.  Sports are meant to be something you put irrational hope into because it's the thrill of it t hat makes it worth watching. 

It's also neglecting how hard it is to find a young, quality QB.  Kizer has 9/17 on TD/INT.  Gabbert has 6/5 and if you add Palmer's, that goes to 15/12..  The entire Broncos QB trio has 15/16.  Josh McCown is about to be 39 and he's got 18/9.  Bills QBs have 14/9.  Those are season totals on TD/INT for the season, and then you look at Brett Hundley's 8/8.  His last three games are 6/1.  Then add in the fact that he's 24 years old and in, what, 6 starts he has more 100+ QB rating games than the 38 year old Josh McCown starting the whole year...

When it comes to Hundley, people are out of their damn minds if they think that Hundley hasn't forced a look from GMs around the league.  He just led a fourth quarter comeback and overtime win against a team that's had 29 starting quarterbacks since 2001.  The Jets best quarterback in 20 years has been a 37 year old torn biceps tendon Brett Favre.  And that's two teams.  I think the biggest thing that will hold Hundley back from being traded is Ted Thompson.  He didn't cash in on Flynn, and I don't think he'll cash in on Hundley, but I'm damn sure that if Thompson really wanted to, he could get a fourth round pick or more for Brett Hundley. 

6 hours ago, Green19 said:

Hundley problem is he is young, inexperienced and inconsistent. He has moments where he looks the part looking off safeties, creating second reaction plays, etc  ... but then he looks lost.

He should know the offense but I get the feeling he is uncomfortable “RUNNING” everything. You can see he is great at the beginning of games (first drive) and during quick hurry up portions. I’m sure this is because everything gets simplified and he can just play. He’d probably benefit having a Julio type and doing the Brett Favre thing early and just kind of throw it up when in doubt.

Also teams are starving for QBs in this league... someone would pay something for Hundley, again it comes down to if it’s worth it for GB. They almost dealt him this last offseason... and he hasn’t done anything to scare GMs off, the only issue is he hasn’t done anything to have them pounding on GB’s door desperately trying to get him on their team either.

We almost dealt him this past offseason?  I never heard anything of that...

Given Hundley's very up and down portfolio as a starter, I now wonder if he won't just stay in GB for the duration of the MM/Rodgers era.  I don't imagine any team looking at Hundley as anything more than a backup right now, so remaining in GB may simply be the best option for all parties involved.

In the world that Mike Glennon is worth $15 million, Ryan tannehill gets $20, and Sam Bradford gets $18, and Jimmy garrapolo is worth a top 35 pick, Brett Hundley has serious trade value.

But I don't trade him for anything less than what garrapolo went for. Not worth it otherwise because you'll get a compensatory pick for him later anyway.

Hundley never learned to trust it during his starting stretch. Countless bootlegs he had the back/TE coming off the line and took the sack. He keeps his eyes down when pressured and struggles getting through progressions.

Any good GM/HC combo is going to pass hard on that. No way I would put my job on the line for Hundley, he'll never be great. No comparison to Matt Flynn IMO, Flynn's issues were all physical limitations, but he could play the crap out of Mac's scheme because he trusted everything that should open up for him, and when it didn't he was able to keep his eyes up and work through progressions.

You combine the two and I think you end up with a QB that gets Garrapolo compensation. Hundley by himself, probably is our backup QB next year and nets us a 4th round comp when someone does what the Bears did last year and uses him as a bridge to their franchise QB.

So what I'm hearing is Hundley leaves GB in 2019, and GB will net some kind of comp pick.  Hundley then returns to GB in 2021 after failing to land/hold a QB1 job elsewhere. Meanwhile, MM/TT fail to groom a better QB2 behind Rodgers, so Hundley is welcomed back with open arms.  All and all, not a terrible scenario.

Interesting tidbit....

Hundley's passer rating of 78.0 this year is better than Keenums', Goff's, Newton's and Wentz's passer rating last year. All four of them currently have their teams in first place.

More interesting tidbits....

Hundley's passer rating of 83.8 as a starter is higher than Sam Bradford's career passer rating prior to being traded to Minnesota for a first round pick and higher than Joe Flacco's since signing the contract that made him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL at the time. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Hundley never learned to trust it during his starting stretch. Countless bootlegs he had the back/TE coming off the line and took the sack. He keeps his eyes down when pressured and struggles getting through progressions.

Any good GM/HC combo is going to pass hard on that. No way I would put my job on the line for Hundley, he'll never be great. No comparison to Matt Flynn IMO, Flynn's issues were all physical limitations, but he could play the crap out of Mac's scheme because he trusted everything that should open up for him, and when it didn't he was able to keep his eyes up and work through progressions.

You combine the two and I think you end up with a QB that gets Garrapolo compensation. Hundley by himself, probably is our backup QB next year and nets us a 4th round comp when someone does what the Bears did last year and uses him as a bridge to their franchise QB.

Hundley struggles with consistency... like any young QB. I think people get too wrapped up in that it’s his 3rd year in the league, people can’t see yesterday was only his 7th career start. And he is just about breaking even and beating the teams he should beat (chi, tb and cle).

Look just because you read books about the moon and study it your whole life doesn’t mean when you get there for the first time that there isn’t going to be SOME learning curve on physical surviving there.

Trusting what you see comes with time. Rodgers talks about muscle memory all the time that he remembers plays and how they should feel. Hundley doesn’t have that... he going all on “football theory” at this point. Coach says it should be open so I need to do it. And you can see he does what he is told... almost to a fault. The positive is you see him building chemistry with a weapon in Adams and he trusts when he goes to him, he has had a lot of success there.

I think Hundley has a shot to be a good to great QB. He just needs more time to sink or swim and put it together. There are going to be coaches that see his late game play and take a shot because he has it. Heck Kizer out played Hundley most of the day... but when each team needed their guy who made the plays to win? Same against Winston... and I think most would say both of them went against the worse defense in GB’s.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Hundley struggles with consistency... like any young QB. I think people get too wrapped up in that it’s his 3rd year in the league, people can’t see yesterday was only his 7th career start. And he is just about breaking even and beating the teams he should beat (chi, tb and cle).

Look just because you read books about the moon and study it your whole life doesn’t mean when you get there for the first time that there isn’t going to be SOME learning curve on physical surviving there.

Trusting what you see comes with time. Rodgers talks about muscle memory all the time that he remembers plays and how they should feel. Hundley doesn’t have that... he going all on “football theory” at this point. Coach says it should be open so I need to do it. And you can see he does what he is told... almost to a fault. The positive is you see him building chemistry with a weapon in Adams and he trusts when he goes to him, he has had a lot of success there.

I think Hundley has a shot to be a good to great QB. He just needs more time to sink or swim and put it together. There are going to be coaches that see his late game play and take a shot because he has it. Heck Kizer out played Hundley most of the day... but when each team needed their guy who made the plays to win? Same against Winston... and I think most would say both of them went against the worse defense in GB’s.

I don't think throwing receivers open and trusting what your reads tell you are things that develop over time, those are things you have or you don't.

Reading coverages, blitzes, audibles at the LOS, those are the types of things experience grants you.

I see Hundley as a Hoyer, McCown, Fitzpatrick, etc. Spot starter and a guy who can have a nice long career as a backup, but I don't see anyone ever giving up anything of value there.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think throwing receivers open and trusting what your reads tell you are things that develop over time, those are things you have or you don't.

Reading coverages, blitzes, audibles at the LOS, those are the types of things experience grants you.

I see Hundley as a Hoyer, McCown, Fitzpatrick, etc. Spot starter and a guy who can have a nice long career as a backup, but I don't see anyone ever giving up anything of value there.

Spot on

Archived