Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

I took the time to listen to his presser.  Actually guy sounded OK to me.  Don't get me wrong not a fan.  Didn't really throw anyone under the bus.  On CV said that since he didn't get the call he played it safe which was smart.  Can't really blame him for not seeing Vito escaping the pocket like he did.  I wouldn't have envisioned that either.  Pass rush has been really good last few games. 

Regardless he needs to be more aggressive.  Send a CB blitz.  Mix it up and try to confuse these young inexperience QB's.  Dunno I still want Leonhard.  Play an attacking style of D.  Clearly the D is underperforming given all the talent on that side of the ball.  Don't know what MLF is going to do.  Maybe Gute and Murphtones will pressure him into making a change.  Getting some guys back hopefully this week.  Getting Walker back will make a difference.  

Off topic but CV is going to be a real good CB.  He's got the physical tools and the right attitude.  Don't know how he fell that far in the draft.  On that KC deep shot to MVS no one mentioned he ran with him stride for stride and was in his hip pocket.  Pretty impressive actually.  Think we have a decent starting CB with him. 

I agree 100%.  We need to be careful because we are all starting to teeter toward un-objectivity when discussing this defense and Barry.  Everyone wants him gone so bad, that he can do no right, everything that works is great work by the players, and everything bad was because Joe Barry is to blame.  

Do I want to replace him? Yeah, probably.  That doesn't make him some bumbling idiot or nefarious entity out to get the Packers.  

• Like 1

Firing Barry and replacing him with Staley would be so perfect.

he rarely proved to be the defensive mastermind the Chargers figured they were getting after an impressive one-year stint as Rams defensive coordinator. The Chargers rank 31st in offensive points allowed per game since Staley took the reins in 2021. No other run defense has been worse. In that high-stakes Week 18 game against the Raiders at the end of the 2021 season, Las Vegas knew all it had to do was run right up the gut—because that’s simply what you do against a Staley defense. Staley’s unit allowed six opposing offenses to rush for at least 200 yards, and five others topped 180 rushing yards. The defense wasn’t reimagined or improved at all under Staley; it was a failure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Yep his contract is up so San Diego (LA) absolutely go after Barry.  I'm sure he'd be a real revelation over there! In fact they should offer him the HC gig.  Perfect! Going to add Mike Zimmer to the list.  He's be an intriguing candidate for Packers DC.  Think I'd like that hire.  

Edited by Scoremore

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Yep his contract is up so San Diego (LA) absolutely go after Barry.  I'm sure he'd be a real revelation over there! In fact they should offer him the HC gig.  Perfect! Going to add Mike Zimmer to the list.  He's be an intriguing candidate for Packers DC.  Think I'd like that hire.  

I’d be a fan of a Mike Zimmer type hire. I want a cranky, mean SOB and that’s always been Zimmer. I’ve cooled on Leonhard though, his tenure as the Badgers interim coach was underwhelming and I can’t help but wonder if his defense succeeded more because of the players than him. There’s too much talent on this defense to get just what we’re getting. To me the biggest indicator is playing with a lead early. Easy to let the players do what they want, which is be aggressive when you have a 2 score lead. When it comes down to managing a one point lead at the end of the game, that’s way more coaching and it’s clear Barry can’t do it.

• Like 1

Barry isn't wrong about needing to get all 11 players on the same page, but seems oblivious to the fact that it's part of his job description to make this happen.  Players are consistently in the wrong spot because they (1) apparently don't know where to be, or (2) ignore their responsibility in the scheme. Not being able to correct this is Barry's single biggest failing as DC. If he hasn't corrected these issues by now, I don't see any reason to think he ever will.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Barry isn't wrong about needing to get all 11 players on the same page, but seems oblivious to the fact that it's part of his job description to make this happen.  Players are consistently in the wrong spot because they (1) apparently don't know where to be, or (2) ignore their responsibility in the scheme. Not being able to correct this is Barry's single biggest failing as DC. If he hasn't corrected these issues by now, I don't see any reason to think he ever will.

This. 

It's a huge failure that you're unable to get all 11 games playing the same defense on the most critical drive of the game. Like c'mon. This is a common situation you probably should be practicing every week. How isn't this automatic for everyone what you're doing based on the situation? We fans knew it in real time. 

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

But...

Those guys in the backend currently are rookies and journeyman who are in Year 1 with the Packers

25 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

But...

Those guys in the backend currently are rookies and journeyman who are in Year 1 with the Packers

hey we don't want to here logic concerning the Joe Barry issues😄

true enough, but we have the same lack of communication when we had vets in coverage too, Barry's secondary have always had coverage issues, he tweaked up the pass rush to better support the coverage recently, and thats about the only reason I can think of for his success, ever..

IMHO Barry should have been canned when he failed to have Alexander solely on Jefferson to start the season against Minny a year ago, Jefferson beat us by himself, or actually I should say Barry defeated his own team do to acting like a stubborn fool.🤢

Edited by turf toe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

But...

When Barry says players on the field aren't getting the defensive calls in crunch time, that is 100% a Barry problem.  It has nothing to do with experience.  Lack of experience certainly isn't why our edge players abandon their contain so often.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

Staley is a bad coach. My fantasy team has Herbert and Ekeler; I feel like there are like three to four defensive calls a game that have zones without a player in them, not in terms of a missed assignment or anything, just not enough bodies period. Just kind of unsound defense that is easily exploited.

Edited by oldmansmell