Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

11 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

All I know is that the longer we hold on to Joe Barry the more it sets the organization back.  He wastes talent, plain and simple.  

That is my take as well. You take a look at even the Vikings with little to no talent outside of Hunter on defense currently ranked 22nd in points allowed. Who is 21st? The Packers. Take a look at those two rosters on defense and its hard to find a spot outside of old Harrison Smith where the Vikings have a clear edge... The Packers have also played some pretty anemic offenses up to this point in the Bears, Falcons, and Saints while the Vikings have already played the Chiefs, Eagles, and Chargers. Its ******* embarrassing at this point how much this defense underperforms. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 6

54 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

That is my take as well. You take a look at even the Vikings with little to no talent outside of Hunter on defense currently ranked 22nd in points allowed. Who is 21st? The Packers. Take a look at those two rosters on defense and its hard to find a spot outside of old Harrison Smith where the Vikings have a clear edge... The Packers have also played some pretty anemic offenses up to this point in the Bears, Falcons, and Saints while the Vikings have already played the Chiefs, Eagles, and Chargers. Its ******* embarrassing at this point how much this defense underperforms. 

I agree, but to be fair, we've also had quite a bit of injuries.

JA has been out for half the year along with our #2 Stokes. When Douglas is your best CB along with the worst safety room in the league, your secondary is gonna struggle. Without JA out there we have arguably the worst secondary in the league. Luckily we'll be getting him and Stokes back.

Gary is dominant and our clear best defender but he has been on a snap count. He's only played 26.37% of snaps. Outside of Gary, at edge we have:

Preston Smith who's taken a clear step backwards this year

LVN who looks promising but a lot less effective from the eye test after injuring his elbow

Enagbre who hasn't taken the next step this year like all of us expected

Hollins who's a jag

When Gary doesn't play that's arguably the worst edge group in the league.

Also missing Campbell who has been our veteran leader.

We tend to overrate the talent we have but Barry's horrific defensive system of 2 down lineman and letting us get gashed in the run game sure isn't helping.

Edited by Mdpackfan22
  • Like 1

It's okay sometimes to admit that the DC can be bad, and the talent pooled with all the capital just isn't as good as it you'd think it was if it wasn't wearing Green and Gold.

To be consistently mediocre across a decade and multiple DC's, maybe the recipe just isn't good.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

It's okay sometimes to admit that the DC can be bad, and the talent pooled with all the capital just isn't as good as it you'd think it was if it wasn't wearing Green and Gold.

To be consistently mediocre across a decade and multiple DC's, maybe the recipe just isn't good.

They need to hire a proven commodity at DC with a track record of success in the NFL .. the anti-Joe Barry if you will, who has been a bad DC in now 3 NFL stops.  I still like Leonhard if LaFleur still has him in mind, but his lack of NFL coaching experience makes him risky.  He has serious credibility as a former NFL player, but the lack of NFL coaching experience seems risky at this point in time when the Packers need a hire that will knock it out of the park.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Laces Out said:

This is absolutely true, but I feel a lot less confident about judging the talent one way or another when I am certain that the coach stinks 

• Like 1

I think Andy Herman's big picture take makes sense--that part of it is current scheme + corresponding roster makeup--they built a defense for yesterday, for what was a finesse passing league that is now trending to more power league with bigger Olines, running the ball more or at least more balanced run and pass league. 

5 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

I think Andy Herman's big picture take makes sense--that part of it is current scheme + corresponding roster makeup--they built a defense for yesterday, for what was a finesse passing league that is now trending to more power league with bigger Olines, running the ball more or at least more balanced run and pass league. 

They will switch just in time for it to go back to a finesse passing league 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

This defense has absolutely 100% been intentionally built for a play from ahead stand point for the last decade. The FO had what they believed to be the best QB in the league. They were fine with teams being able to run because they believed your running game couldn't keep up with our passing game. They believed the only way you could beat us was to outscore us (obviously but you know what I mean) so the most important part of the defense was being able to stop the pass. Seems super obvious (and even reasonable) based on the capital we placed into pass rushers and the secondary.

5 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Is putting preston smith on Davante Adams part of the transition to a power league? Joe Barry just be a revolutionary 

• Like 1

The defense only gave up X amount of points argument is I think both correct and misguided. We should have beat the Raiders, but there are way to many times where the defense is just incorrectly lined up (from a personnel perspective). 2nd and 12 on their first drive, just shift The Best Receiver in Football to the other side, and he's free in the flat with Quay trying to cover him from a poor position. The Jacobs touchdown is the most mind-boggling to me. All of our starting Backers, a starting safety, and Stokes are out, and we still only have two down linemen on second and goal from the 2????????????????????? I went back to check if they were stuck in that alignment - nope Raiders subbed.

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Wonder if we can lure Harbaugh away from Michigan. Would love for him to instill some toughness into this team.

What reason would he have to either leave College for the NFL or leave College to RETURN to the NFL?