How would you characterize Cam Newton's NFL career?

notthatbluestuff

Interesting that the Panthers look to be spiralling towards a top-3 pick, where they'd surely draft a QB in the hopes that he can be a long-term answer. 11 years ago, they took Cam Newton presumably hoping he'd be their guy for a long, long time. We know how it turned out. Some high highs coupled with the lowest of lows. 

How good would you say Cam was at his peak? Was the 2015 season worth everything else? What caused his downfall - and did you see it coming? 

2da3c1f30d31151032a621073e19fec3

He was athletic freak that also played the QB position. Some people framed him as an elite passer because of his tooling, but I think he was an alright QB but an elite athlete and eventually age/injuries caught up to him. Once he lost the physical talent that made him a star, there wasn't much left to consider him a viable starting QB.

• Like 3

Hot and cold. He never really had two consistent years in a row.  Promising his rookie year, quiet his sophomore year, looked like he broke out in 2013, tempered in 2014, MVP mega season in 2015 where everyone thought he was the future of the league, came back to Earth in 2016, then had a decent uptick again 2017, looked good but stated getting injured in 2018 and his career basically spiraled down 

14 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

How good would you say Cam was at his peak? Was the 2015 season worth everything else? What caused his downfall - and did you see it coming?

Cam believing that playing the QB position like a LB because he physically could was his downfall. His physicality when running the ball as a QB set the tone for every OC he had his 11 years.

The Mike Vick Effect

Different players but same mentality. So physically gifted as a runner and playmaker OC/HC didn't care about winning from within the pocket as a "Passer", working on your craft as a QB. Just go make plays because that's what wins us games!!!! 

Newton was horrific as a passer. Had the touch and accuracy of a 2 year old. Everything he threw was like it was shot out of a cannon. That is until injuries self inflicted by his style of play mind you and the coaching staffs desire to win at all cost caught up to him.

This mindset was his downfall. Superman's kriptonite was himself. Had Cam "chosen" to play QB more like Russell Wilson as a runner, sliding, going out of bounds, living for another day rather then being the human bowling ball he was at 250lb, this supreme athlete with "S" on his chest that defenses couldn't stop. His career as an actual NFL "QB" might of been different. 

Like Vick as a Falcon.

Hopefully Josh Allen who has this same exact mentality with his body,  smarten up! Allen is 10x the passer Newton ever was but is headed down the same path with his body. 

• Like 2

He reminds me of Donovan McNabb: pretty good up to his anomaly SB appearance, progressively worsened each season afterwards. Massively overrated during his career and most people started to realize he wasn't that great a few years after he's retired.

Certainly a good quarterback, but given his toolset he was kind of a disappointment.

Edited by biggie.

Even the MVP season was overrated lol. Dude was average until some crazy run at the end against horrible defenses like the saints giants falcons and bucs. 

I was actually more impressed with the defense that year. They were getting crazy turnovers 

8 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Even the MVP season was overrated lol. Dude was average until some crazy run at the end against horrible defenses like the saints giants falcons and bucs. 

I was actually more impressed with the defense that year. They were getting crazy turnovers 

Cam didn't become a more efficient passer until after the GB game. Up to that gane he was 132/239, 1820 yards, 14 TD and 9 INTs.

One of the greatest athletes in NFL history that happened to play QB. I think at least a dozen teams will take his 10 years he had in Carolina for their last 10 years. I agree that Cam was never a good passer, but it is wild that they never got his any receiving options outside of the excellent Greg Olsen.

• Like 2

I always liked Newton even during his decline. It's definitely true that he shortened his NFL life span with his style of play, but there's a part of me that admires him for coming into the league and finding success his way rather than trying to become a "true" pocket passer. He was always very rough on the technical and mechanical side of things, and he chose to play the way he did because that's how he was most comfortable playing. He was also pretty lucky to be drafted to a team that was willing to play to his strengths and minimize his shortcomings at a point when most people thought that to have success in the nfl you have to have a quarterback that fits the traditional scheme and not vice versa. Of course it probably shouldn't go unmentioned that Newton leaned into some frankly baffling choices as far as his public image went that didn't help earn him much favor with the general public, but that never really bothered me like it did some of my acquaintances.

• Like 2