Roughing the Passer Needs to be Reviewable

Chiefer

They’d just never overturn it, claim it didn’t work, and then get rid of it the next year.

Someone needs to get some hot chicks to flirt with refs and trick them into revealing their shadiness and catch them on tape. 

OR. They could just go ahead and make the QB wear flags.

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

Looking at both the Lions/Pats and Chiefs/Raiders calls I can see why they were called:

1. Goff's head snaps back, leading you to think there was contact. A quick review should determine no such thing happened.
  2. Chris Jones lands on top of Derek Carr, which by rule violates the whole "body weight" thing. Even a review would've confirmed it was RTP by the letter of the rule.

IMO, the rules suck. They're absolutely awful. When you have a system where you have to tackle a QB a specific way regardless of circumstance, and you can't go low or high and even if you hit them in the torso if they fall and you land on them it's a foul OR if you twist them around too hard it's a foul - you get the current situation we're in.

It's really pathetic. If you don't want QB's taking hits, make them wear flags. Otherwise I liked the rule when you couldn't go low on a QB, but once they started adding in ANY contact to the head/neck area of a QB (which happens all the time because people are trying to bat down passes) and also that you can't twist a QB down too hard OR land on them, things got out of control. 

TL;DR --> Current rule sucks, no review would change that. Eliminate the garbage head/neck area stuff and all of the other fluff except the going low on QB's part. If you're not willing to do that, put flags on the QB's and see how the product deteriorates.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

This gets called just about every time. Crap rule here, not really a crap call. Even if this is reviewed I think it's still flagged

yeah this reminds me of the roughing called on jeffery simmons yesterday where his hand basically lightly brushed carson wentz's helmet lol. by the letter of the law, it's "contact to the head or neck area" or whatever, and i've seen it called that way before. but in practice....come on man

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

I posted the same thing last night. 

Just make it reviewable. 

Last night was a clear example of why it needs to be reviewable. Derek Carr wasn’t even the ball carrier at the point he got stripped. He could get pummeled into the draft at this point so in general it was a missed call. 

but either way just make it the only flag that can be instantly reviewable. We get it QBs are important. But you’ve got to be able to sack a quarterback. Unless we just want to make sacking the qb two hand touch. That’d be horrible. 

They should make it like the old facemask rule.  Incidental contact or hit on a QB is 5 yards.  An egregious one is 15 yards.  This way a bad RTP at least doesn't hurt you as much.  Like even if you are going to call the Patriots/Lions example RTP every single time, no way you see it and think it wasn't incidental.  

Same with that.  Even if by rule it is RTP, it is clearly incidental.  Why should it cost you 15-yards?  Hands to the face doesn't cost a team 15 yards. It should be no different here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

This would be amazing to see. A forward thinking league that actually hold their refs responsible for bad calls. They could have a former ref look at the call and decide the challenges play (like Gene Steratore), instead of the ones on the field. A nice checks and balance.

I guess that’s why it’ll never happen. 

It just makes too much sense.

There's obviously time for this to occur because we have Gene working for the networks to give us real time takes seconds afterwards.

• Like 1

People are being pretty over dramatic here. 

There have been 28 rtp calls in 80 games. They are down nearly 50% from last year. 

Yes, the have been bad calls. It comes with the territory. Refs aren't perfect and they never will be. 

There are improvements that can be made, and it would behoove the NFL to make them, but I'm not holding my breath for any sweeping changes. Would be nice if refs were just allowed to use common sense and judgement. Of course, then fans would just complain about refs judgement calls lol

27 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

At what point do DCs start saying “**** it hit em as hard as you can because even incidental contact draws a flag”?

Probably after the game(s) is/are already lost, but who’s paying those fines in a losing effort?

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

People are being pretty over dramatic here. 

There have been 28 rtp calls in 80 games. They are down nearly 50% from last year. 

Yes, the have been bad calls. It comes with the territory. Refs aren't perfect and they never will be. 

There are improvements that can be made, and it would behoove the NFL to make them, but I'm not holding my breath for any sweeping changes. Would be nice if refs were just allowed to use common sense and judgement. Of course, then fans would just complain about refs judgement calls lol

Recency in play here. Refs obviously rec'd instructions to buckle down on this post Tua, so a buncha them happened in one week and affected games.

12 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

They’d just never overturn it, claim it didn’t work, and then get rid of it the next year.

I always love me a good conspiracy, and I still think there was something funky going on the year challenging PI was made a thing, but the majority of them were conveniently not overturned, and then poof the ability to challenge PI went out the window. 

On 10/10/2022 at 11:50 PM, Deadpulse said:

The one against the Pats in the Lions game was probably the most egregious of them all but was overshadowed because of the way the game went and how late it was. 

30 goes out of his way to jump up and into 16s grill and accomplishes what he was trying to do.

That's an easy call and you'll be waiting a long time for the league to scale that kind of call back.