State of the Steelers

warfelg

15 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Guy has Jason Kelce athleticism. It’s a shame he can’t block/gets pushed straight back 5 yards into the QB’s lab every play. 

Goes to show how special of a player Kelce really is. He’s been really fun to watch in the playoffs this year.

Green, I thought, would learn to use his lower body well. He uses his hands really well and has good punch timing. But his lower body is a mess. That’s why he ends up on the ground, he punches without stepping and loses control. 

19 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That one play his rookie year he ran really fast down the field but didn't block anyone. That was pretty much it. 

pouncey did that often and he always made the probowl despite wearing skates often.  It would be good if we drafted a good Center in case Cole gets hurt.  See if Weidl gets more depth for the OL and DL, and C would be a good pick later on in the  draft at least for the PS

On 2/3/2023 at 12:42 PM, bigben07MVP said:

Nothing is impossible but I highly doubt he makes the team next year.

Feels like the coaches have sort of given up on him already. Him not being active for a single game this year sort of proves that.

it will be telling how this offseason goes as to what the direction of the FO is.  Typically colbert had a way of making Rd1 picks stay with the team when they shouldn't and tomlin had a way of playing them. They could have traded various RD1 picks buyt never did and they usually were penciled in as starters without question. Fail . They also had a way of keeping players around that weren't  good enough to begin with. With the new regime, hopes are they make the trades and draftpicks as well as UFA signings to make major progress.

'winning' seasons aren't  just above .500 , but the previous regime seemed content with that as proven by the recent years.  If they want to win while the QB is on the rookie deal, they have a few years to do it. 

This was probably covered on pg 46, or 71, or who knows, which is why I'm usually an advocate for less broad topic titles, even if it adds up to an extra few threads...but what is everyone else's take on our QB situation next year?  Are we drafting one, or picking one or two up to compete as UDFAs, and last man standing is our #3?  Or do we roll with just Pickett and Trubisky?  Or do we trade Trubisky to another team, and attach a 2024 4th Rd, and get a 6th Rd this year? (Assuming we'd have to pay to get someone to take on his contract...)  Or is there a sucker GM out there that might atually trade us a 5th, or 6th rd pick, straight up?  Or do just cut him and take our losses, and pick up a cheaper FA, like re-signing Rudolph (ugh...), or draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th...maybe a guy who has slid down boards like DTR, or Mckee, or Haener, and hope he's good enough to 'hold court' for any time Pickett is out?

IMO, Pickett suffered 2 concusions in just barely 2/3 of a half season of play; we need to be prepared to have a viable starter as a backup.  I know it would be nice to save some cap space, but Pickett wouldn't be the first Rookie QB to look as if he has some promise, only to regress in his 2nd year.  Heck look at what the Jets are facing after taking Zach Wilson 2nd overall in 2021.  It's not that I don't have faith in Pickett; I most assuredly do have faith, but I think we need to be prepared, just in case. We've proven we can win with Rudolph, assuming our Defense is healthy, and he might be a cheaper option...IDK...hence, why I'm asking the question...

A 3rd option would be to save the potential $8M in cap money, sink or swim with Pickett, and if we sink, well, we have that season that many of you hope for, and have that 5-12, or 4-13 season, and almost completely reboot.  Canada wouldn't be brought back, and we'd be looking at QB again in the 1st....

9 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

This was probably covered on pg 46, or 71, or who knows, which is why I'm usually an advocate for less broad topic titles, even if it adds up to an extra few threads...but what is everyone else's take on our QB situation next year?  Are we drafting one, or picking one or two up to compete as UDFAs, and last man standing is our #3?  Or do we roll with just Pickett and Trubisky?  Or do we trade Trubisky to another team, and attach a 2024 4th Rd, and get a 6th Rd this year? (Assuming we'd have to pay to get someone to take on his contract...)  Or is there a sucker GM out there that might atually trade us a 5th, or 6th rd pick, straight up?  Or do just cut him and take our losses, and pick up a cheaper FA, like re-signing Rudolph (ugh...), or draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th...maybe a guy who has slid down boards like DTR, or Mckee, or Haener, and hope he's good enough to 'hold court' for any time Pickett is out?

IMO, Pickett suffered 2 concusions in just barely 2/3 of a half season of play; we need to be prepared to have a viable starter as a backup.  I know it would be nice to save some cap space, but Pickett wouldn't be the first Rookie QB to look as if he has some promise, only to regress in his 2nd year.  Heck look at what the Jets are facing after taking Zach Wilson 2nd overall in 2021.  It's not that I don't have faith in Pickett; I most assuredly do have faith, but I think we need to be prepared, just in case. We've proven we can win with Rudolph, assuming our Defense is healthy, and he might be a cheaper option...IDK...hence, why I'm asking the question...

A 3rd option would be to save the potential $8M in cap money, sink or swim with Pickett, and if we sink, well, we have that season that many of you hope for, and have that 5-12, or 4-13 season, and almost completely reboot.  Canada wouldn't be brought back, and we'd be looking at QB again in the 1st....

I’m ok if they bring back Rudolph on the cheap…I’d still like to get Dalton somehow.

You could even add a 2nd year to Dalton, paying up a little bit if need be with them being great cap wise after this offseason.

He played on 1/$3 mill this past year…I bet he’d take 2/$8 if you guaranteed most of it.

FWIW, I’m cutting Trubisky and saving $8 mill immediately.

Edited by AFF

17 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

Are we drafting one, or picking one or two up to compete as UDFAs, and last man standing is our #3?  Or do we roll with just Pickett and Trubisky

lets hope they are bluffing and trade Mitch instead of keeping him. Then get a decent vet and see how the QB we got last year is.  The idea of KP getting hurt and using that as an excuse would be with the old regime. This new regime needs to address the importance of a QB2, so sign Brissett  or some Vet much better than mitch. 

19 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

IMO, Pickett suffered 2 concusions in just barely 2/3 of a half season of play; we need to be prepared to have a viable starter as a backup.

see above, new FO should be serious about this IMO, but colbert would have kept his bad signing QB mitch

20 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

why waste a season over this? just get a good QB2 and be set. Brissett showed he is quite capable. There are others and could always trade if they really need to.  #12 hasn't been in circulation here since the early 80's so I doubt brady will unretire and sign here

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 3rivers said:
43 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

why waste a season over this? just get a good QB2 and be set. Brissett showed he is quite capable. There are others and could always trade if they really need to.  #12 hasn't been in circulation here since the early 80's so I doubt brady will unretire and sign here

I'm with you--sign a decent backup on the cheap, and hope Pickett is the QB of the future for us...I don't want to have a crappy season, just to get a better chance to draft earlier.

I'm done with both of our back up QBs. Trubisky already stated he'd wished he'd waited longer before signing with us. I don't see him being back next season. 

Rudolph has never been someone I've never been omfortable with. He will be a free agent so no way in hell will he come back. He's dumb if he does.

I'm not sure which QBs I'd want as a backup. I'd take either Jacoby Brissett or Andy Dalton.

I'd draft a QB with upside like Dorian Thompson-Robinson. He actually trained with some with the late Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins. He's a dual threat I like. 

Edited by armsteeld
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I'm with you--sign a decent backup on the cheap, and hope Pickett is the QB of the future for us...I don't want to have a crappy season, just to get a better chance to draft earlier.

because even drafting earlier doesn't guarantee it will be better, history has shown this.

Always keep a quality vet QB and at least 3 QB's on the team. 

6 hours ago, August4th said:

I'd try to rework mitch's deal. He's one of the better back-ups in the league and knows the offense.

he was no good for the long haul, only decent as a closer vs the bucs bad defence. Move on, there are players like Brissett, Minshew and Dalton. Much better, and just try to trade mitch since he regrets being here anyways. Even a RD5 or RD6 would be good.

37 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I'm done with both of our back up QBs.

I hope you are Khan in disguiseB|

• Like 1

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

I'm done with both of our back up QBs. Trubisky already stated he'd wished he'd waited longer before signing with us. I don't see him being back next season. 

Rudolph has never been someone I've never been omfortable with. He will be a free agent so no way in hell will he come back. He's dumb if he does.

I'm not sure which QBs I'd want as a backup. I'd take either Jacoby Brissett or Andy Dalton.

I'd draft a QB with upside like Dorian Thompson-Robinson. He actually trained with some with the late Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins. He's a dual threat I like. 

Agreed with most of this.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Trubisky, but not at his current price tag.   Plus Im not sure he has accepted the fact he isnt a starting caliber NFL quarterback.

Still annoyed we wasted a draft pick on Chris Oludokun last draft.   It was a 7th rd pick and dont expect much from them, but that pick never made much sense, and there were better players on the board.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Agreed with most of this.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Trubisky, but not at his current price tag.   Plus Im not sure he has accepted the fact he isnt a starting caliber NFL quarterback.

Still annoyed we wasted a draft pick on Chris Oludokun last draft.   It was a 7th rd pick and dont expect much from them, but that pick never made much sense, and there were better players on the board.

do you think they can trade mitch even for a late round pick after his showing last season? I doubt  it but thought I would ask here. 

colbert wasting picks was nothing new. I am looking forward to the new regime. I liked your idea of signing Dalton, but if he is gone then Minshew or Brissett  would all be better than mitch if required to start for games.  Mitch was good as a closer in the bucs game when their defence was bad. 

My current mock draft:

Round 1: Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

Round 2a: Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

Round 2b: Eli Ricks CB Alabama

Round 3: Jack Campbell ILB Iowa

Round 4: Olusegun Oluwatimi Center Michigan

Round 7a: DeWayne McBride RB UAB

Round 7b: Jalen Redmond NT Oklahoma

30 minutes ago, DR43 said:

My current mock draft:

Round 1: Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern

Round 2a: Kayshon Boutte WR LSU

Round 2b: Eli Ricks CB Alabama

Round 3: Jack Campbell ILB Iowa

Round 4: Olusegun Oluwatimi Center Michigan

Round 7a: DeWayne McBride RB UAB

Round 7b: Jalen Redmond NT Oklahoma

I’m hesitant on Sko. I used to be fully on board with him, but I’m not so sure anymore. I think he’s destined for guard and I’m not sure he’s tough or strong enough to handle it in there. Its still early in the process though.