GDT Week 6 - 10/16/22 - Baltimore Ravens (3-2) at NY Giants (4-1) = 1pm EST

drd23

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

you mean the guy who dropped a crucial touchdown pass when it mattered? (yes i know the ball was tipped, etc. etc. - he has a very clear history of not stepping up when it matters)

Idk. As a rookie and perhaps even a sophomore I think it was fair to say Andrews was sort of not that clutch guy. But he’s definitely stepped it up and has been very clutch the last couple seasons IMO.

I think the problem is he’s just receiving a lot of defensive attention and we don’t have the other options to really make defenses pay for that.

Likely might eventually be a key piece, but we need guys that can burn and be on the same page with Lamar. The fact that Andrews is able to be “on that page” shows that it can be done.

If we can get more guys like that who just make plays, Andrews efficiency and “clutch” plays can only improve. Defenses have been really trying to beat him up.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Also flying under the radar is the putrid addition of Rob Leonard OLB coach from the Dolphins. Oweh was looking like a terror as a Rookie and now he's miring in this Sophomore slump. Harbaugh labeled Drew Wilkins the best EDGE/OLB coach in the league and just let Wink drag him off to NY.

I think we've discussed this before, but I don't really think position coaches have much impact, aside from some OL coaches and QB coaches. I think Harbaugh's defenses have a very long track record of poorly utilizing and developing OLB talent, I can't pin it on a lowly position coach. The responsibility is about 60% player, 38% DC, and 2% position coach in terms of impact. 

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think we've discussed this before, but I don't really think position coaches have much impact, aside from some OL coaches and QB coaches. I think Harbaugh's defenses have a very long track record of poorly utilizing and developing OLB talent, I can't pin it on a lowly position coach. The responsibility is about 60% player, 38% DC, and 2% position coach in terms of impact. 

I think they can have more impact when the player is really raw though, which Odafe certainly is. 

• Like 2

I really hope this team makes a hard run at Sean Payton in the offseason. Given how much he loved designing plays for Tayom Hill in New Orleans, imagine how much fun he'd have with a better thrower and runner in Lamar. I know Payton is linked to the Cowboys, but if there's any chance to get him, Baltimore would be a great football situation for him. 

7 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Andrews is our only legit all-pro caliber player, he should not be receiving any flack. 

EDIT: And Tucker, of course. 

My only gripe is that I said this team doesn't have guys who step up when we need them most, and historically that does include Andrews, like it or not. Andrews and Tuck are still by far our best players right now though.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Idk. As a rookie and perhaps even a sophomore I think it was fair to say Andrews was sort of not that clutch guy. But he’s definitely stepped it up and has been very clutch the last couple seasons IMO.

I think the problem is he’s just receiving a lot of defensive attention and we don’t have the other options to really make defenses pay for that.

Likely might eventually be a key piece, but we need guys that can burn and be on the same page with Lamar. The fact that Andrews is able to be “on that page” shows that it can be done.

If we can get more guys like that who just make plays, Andrews efficiency and “clutch” plays can only improve. Defenses have been really trying to beat him up.

I haven't seen the All-22 so I have no idea if it's scheme or Lamar or players. All I know is that there's been countless times where I blame Roman for things and then I look at the All-22 and there's a dude running wide open that Lamar misses because he's locked on Andrews or something, so I'm going to withhold judgement on anything further than we're simply not getting it done on offense and I don't really think at this point in time it's the playcalling or the scheme or even the receivers that are failing.

They didn't throw that awful pick. They didn't fumble the ball on the next drive, either. They aren't overthrowing/underthrowing themselves when they're open. That's all on Lamar, and that's what I'm seeing on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I haven't seen the All-22 so I have no idea if it's scheme or Lamar or players. All I know is that there's been countless times where I blame Roman for things and then I look at the All-22 and there's a dude running wide open that Lamar misses because he's locked on Andrews or something, so I'm going to withhold judgement on anything further than we're simply not getting it done on offense and I don't really think at this point in time it's the playcalling or the scheme or even the receivers that are failing.

They didn't throw that awful pick. They didn't fumble the ball on the next drive, either. They aren't overthrowing/underthrowing themselves when they're open. That's all on Lamar, and that's what I'm seeing on a weekly basis.

I read/listened to enough people who study a lot of film and have connections to coaches in the league say that Roman runs an uninspired and unsophisticated passing attack to believe that to be the case. 

It's also harsh to criticize the offense on days like today when they are missing Bateman, who is the only real WR we have that can threaten the D (although Duvernay is functional). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

I read/listened to enough people who study a lot of film and have connections to coaches in the league say that Roman runs an uninspired and unsophisticated passing attack to believe that to be the case. 

It's also harsh to criticize the offense on days like today when they are missing Bateman, who is the only real WR we have that can threaten the D (although Duvernay is functional). 

Another strike against EDC. He really has failed to surround Lamar with WR talent. 

23 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It’s easier to blame a coach than your franchise qb. Both of them frankly kinda stink the last two seasons. 

Edited by M.10.E