GDT Week 6 - 10/16/22 - Baltimore Ravens (3-2) at NY Giants (4-1) = 1pm EST

drd23

46 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

If I had a 100% guarantee I would have betting money on the team and I have 0 dollars on it.

I don't think clutchness is something that indicates future success (which is not a take I invented) and I haven't seen a "bad loss". I think you guys are being daft in not acknowledging the difference between any game this year and real bad losses like the Bengals games last year or the Browns game Lamar's MVP season or the Broncos' game in Flacco's SB season.

I think the thing that I disagree with is that this wasn’t a bad coaching loss.

This loss to me showed a very undisciplined unit that made a multitude of offensive penalties.

I think the defense has made improvements and adjustments and looked better over the last few weeks, but they still are not able to stop anyone when it matters. Really for me it has felt like our defensive improvements have been IMO more due to opposing offenses not capitalizing on their opportunities vs our defensive players making great plays. Though I need to see an increased sample size to know if maybe I’m just not giving our defense enough credit.

So I’ll be interested to see if our string of “solid enough” defense continues or if it’s just a mirage.

Beyond that EDC deserves blame. He’s given this offense so few receiving options. I like what he’s done with the OL in getting it to where Lamar isn’t going all happy feet like last year, but there’s no reason that we needed to draft Likely and Kolar when we already had both Josh Oliver and Nick Boyle.

We’re saturated with TE options, but now that Bateman has gone down our 2nd best WR is Marcus Robinson who is shaking himself out of his cleats more than defenders.

There’s no doubt in my mind the reduction in offensive explosiveness has to do with the lack of reliable weapons. That’s not on the offensive coaches, but the massive amount of penalties is absolutely on the coaches. That’s multiple weeks in a row that penalties have been an issue.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Talent gap between these teams is too huge for Biscotti to not consider firing somebody. 6 games in and this squad is underperforming. Coaches need to be fired. Don't care who at this point tbh.

We're stuck with Lamar and his up and down days, same as we were with Flacco, he's the best talent we'll be able to find at QB. This coaching staff though is entirely replaceable. 

I'm just curious who you think they can/should fire. There are no up-and-coming coaches who I want to see anything from in a higher position, unless you want Weaver as DC. 

22 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Except the difference is im not in every GDT after a loss proclaiming “everything is fine and the people freaking out are dumb and we’ll make the playoffs regardless so who cares about these losses”.

Im in the GDTs saying there are serious flaws with this team and if we continue to play like this it’s beyond dumb to just assume we’ll be fine down the line and make the playoffs.

Having an issue with what I find to be moronic guarantees about making the playoffs doesn’t necessitate me making moronic guarantees in the other direction. Do you see how that works? Or do we need to have another 20 back and forths like always?

No. You go the exact opposite direction and claim the sky is falling after any and every bad happening.

You don’t take things in stride before making determinations. Then when others want to give things more time, you claim it’s because they are simply making excuses.

24 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I think it's painfully obvious a (healthy) back like Gus is desperately needed to close out games in Roman's system. Obviously Lamar takes a lot of blame as well for some of the 4th quarter ineptness, but it makes sense given the weight on his shoulders from quarters 1-3. Terrible loss, but I want to see a healthy Gus back before making a final determination on this offense, which is arguably one of the best through the first three quarters and one of thee worst in the 4th and high leverage situations. 

This is an example of taking a loss in stride. We just suffered IMO a bad loss.

Not in the usual sense where a superhuman effort by another player just could not be stopped by our team and/or we were just completely unprepared for dealing with that.
But we lost because of what appears to be systemic issues. Which is IMO worse because it speaks to the very foundation of this team vs a simple fix.

Yet @RavensTillIDie is able to take that in stride and he is seeking more information before making a sweeping judgment about the team. He makes a great point about what a healthy Gus Edwards could mean to this team’s chances to overcome fatal flaws (which most every team has).

11 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm just curious who you think they can/should fire. There are no up-and-coming coaches who I want to see anything from in a higher position, unless you want Weaver as DC. 

I don’t think we should fire anyone following this loss because it’s IMO systemic.

But this loss along with the two others this season, along with MacDonald looking very green and unprepared to start his tenure… I think if this team misses the playoffs, Harbaugh needs to be fired.

He was on the hot seat before Lamar galvanized his career, but the reality is that while Madubuike looks like a star and Travis Jones looks like he could develop into a stud, most star defensive options that come to Baltimore have underperformed.

The EDC draft picks where he’s gone out on a limb to draft a ball of clay- Queen and Oweh, we’ve failed to develop them into capable players… and with Oweh he went from elite collegiate run defender at the very least to good run defender last year to below average to start this season. Who is responsible for that?

At some point the Buck has to stop at Harbaugh’s inability to develop his coaches and thus their ability to develop players. This team never comes out too low, but nor do they come out too high. That’s both a good thing and bad thing. This is a talented team with zero passion. That’s a systemic issue of the coach being done IMO.

I’m not calling for Harbaugh’s head just yet, but pressure certainly needs to roll his way for sure.

24 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

No. You go the exact opposite direction and claim the sky is falling after any and every bad happening.

You don’t take things in stride before making determinations. Then when others want to give things more time, you claim it’s because they are simply making excuses.

This is an example of taking a loss in stride. We just suffered IMO a bad loss.

Not in the usual sense where a superhuman effort by another player just could not be stopped by our team and/or we were just completely unprepared for dealing with that.
But we lost because of what appears to be systemic issues. Which is IMO worse because it speaks to the very foundation of this team vs a simple fix.

Yet @RavensTillIDie is able to take that in stride and he is seeking more information before making a sweeping judgment about the team. He makes a great point about what a healthy Gus Edwards could mean to this team’s chances to overcome fatal flaws (which most every team has).

So first it’s “you didn’t take a hard enough stance on us missing the playoffs”, and now it’s “you always say the sky is falling”. lmao. Which is it?

I’ll answer it for you - it’s what i’ve said in every postgame thread so far this year: THE BALTIMORE RAVENS ARE PLAYING LIKE A PAINFULLY AVERAGE FOOTBALL TEAM SO FAR THIS SEASON, AND AS WE CONTINUE TO PILE UP THESE LOSSES IN GAMES THAT ARE VERY WINNABLE - AS HAS BEEN THE TREND - ASSUMING “WE’RE JUST A SHOE-IN FOR THE PLAYOFFS AND THEREFORE THESE LOSSES DONT MATTER” IS A DUMB TAKE.

That’s my take. It’s been my take all season. Don’t really give a flying french about what other dumb azz semantic crap you have to say. If you think that’s “sky is falling” mentality, cool. If you think it’s “not making a definitive stance about missing the playoffs”, cool.

Do something better with your time than writing paragraphs and paragraphs about me on here every time i post. I’m not interested in your pathetic back and forths anymore. Argue with the wall 

Edited by Ray Reed

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

So first it’s “you didn’t take a hard enough stance on us missing the playoffs”, and now it’s “you always say the sky is falling”. lmao. Which is it?

I’ll answer it for you - it’s what i’ve said in every postgame thread so far this year: THE BALTIMORE RAVENS ARE PLAYING LIKE A PAINFULLY AVERAGE FOOTBALL TEAM SO FAR THIS SEASON, AND IF WE CONTINUE TO PILE UP THESE LOSSES IN GAMES THAT ARE VERY WINNABLE - AS HAS BEEN THE TREND - ASSUMING WE’RE JUST A SHOE-IN FOR THE PLAYOFFS IS A DUMB TAKE.

That’s my take. It’s been my take all season. Don’t really give a flying french about what other dumb azz semantic crap you have to say. Do something better with your time than writing paragraphs and paragraphs about me on here every time i post. 

An average team would not be able to amass a 20-3 lead vs the Bills, a 35-14 lead vs the Dolphins (w/ Tua), and score 37 on the road in NE. In every game we've played, we've held at least a 10 point lead. These are not things average teams do. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

An average team would not be able to amass a 20-3 lead vs the Bills, a 35-14 lead vs the Dolphins (w/ Tua), and score 37 on the road in NE. In every game we've played, we've held at least a 10 point lead. These are not things average teams do. 

It’s the NFL, dude. Bad teams beat good teams all the time. The disparity between teams in this league is the lowest in all of professional sports.

What makes a team average or bad is not being able to win those games when you’re up. Good teams find ways to finish games.

The Lions last year were up at points in a ton of their 14+ losses. Including against us. It didn’t make them a good team.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The EDC draft picks where he’s gone out on a limb to draft a ball of clay- Queen and Oweh, we’ve failed to develop them into capable players… and with Oweh he went from elite collegiate run defender at the very least to good run defender last year to below average to start this season. Who is responsible for that?

At some point the Buck has to stop at Harbaugh’s inability to develop his coaches and thus their ability to develop players. This team never comes out too low, but nor do they come out too high. That’s both a good thing and bad thing. This is a talented team with zero passion. That’s a systemic issue of the coach being done IMO.

I’m not calling for Harbaugh’s head just yet, but pressure certainly needs to roll his way for sure.

OLB's have had very spotty development, so Oweh is no exception. Za'darius had 1 sack in his 2nd season after flashing as a rookie. 

My best explanation is that the coaching staff is so enamored with stunts that they spend their practice time working on looping around OL rather than developing 1-on-1 pass rush moves, which is why Judon and Za'darius flourished after leaving. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

First up, I think Roman needs to go. 

I think they should move on from him in the offseason, but the Ravens came in to the game 4th in Y/P and points scored. They increased their Y/P today since it was 7.0. Given the way the entire NFL has suffered offensively this year, he's at least doing something right. Also, who is going to step in? There is nobody on staff who has any clue how to run an offense. 

IMO if someone has to go, it has to be Harbaugh. Keep Roman and the offense intact because they are moving the ball, and now that Stanley is more or less back, it has even higher potential. Demote MacDonald, move Weaver to HC/DC, something along those lines. 

Harbaugh has done a great job purging the staff of successors, GoT-style.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Based on everything I've seen, I'd put us in the 6-10 range for NFL teams right now. I think that is better than what I expected to feel about this team, especially in the first half of this year.

Ok guys, we have the Browns next week. I'll join the angry crowd for at least a week if we don't win that game. I promise.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think they should move on from him in the offseason, but the Ravens came in to the game 4th in Y/P and points scored. They increased their Y/P today since it was 7.0. Given the way the entire NFL has suffered offensively this year, he's at least doing something right. Also, who is going to step in? There is nobody on staff who has any clue how to run an offense. 

IMO if someone has to go, it has to be Harbaugh. Keep Roman and the offense intact because they are moving the ball, and now that Stanley is more or less back, it has even higher potential. Demote MacDonald, move Weaver to HC/DC, something along those lines. 

That last sentence is the best take I’ve seen today Lmao!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I’ll answer it for you - it’s what i’ve said in every postgame thread so far this year: THE BALTIMORE RAVENS ARE PLAYING LIKE A PAINFULLY AVERAGE FOOTBALL TEAM SO FAR THIS SEASON, AND AS WE CONTINUE TO PILE UP THESE LOSSES IN GAMES THAT ARE VERY WINNABLE - AS HAS BEEN THE TREND - ASSUMING “WE’RE JUST A SHOE-IN FOR THE PLAYOFFS AND THEREFORE THESE LOSSES DONT MATTER” IS A DUMB TAKE.

That’s my take. It’s been my take all season. Don’t really give a flying french about what other dumb azz semantic crap you have to say. If you think that’s “sky is falling” mentality, cool. If you think it’s “not making a definitive stance about missing the playoffs”, cool.

Do something better with your time than writing paragraphs and paragraphs about me on here every time i post. I’m not interested in your pathetic back and forths anymore. Argue with the wall 

Every loss you’re spewing hyper-emotional pessimism, so when real issues do arise it’s harder to take serious what you say because you’re always crying wolf. Whereas for example @DreamKidis generally pretty optimistic/realistic, so when he says “this is a bad loss” it comes across less as sky is falling and more like legitimate concern.

Beyond that the “semantics thing” is a consistency within your “hot takes” where you make pseudo hard stances without actually going out on a limb. Usually I’m the only one calling that out. Thought @wackywabbitresponse was far more succinct (and humorous).

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The lack of talent on staff is definitely an indictment of Harbaugh, but he's been making termination worthy blunders in terms of coaching additions for years. Marc Trestman was an OC for this team, that happened. 

I think we move on from Harbaugh in the offseason though, playoffs or not. Right now Roman seems like the right move imo. The offense lacks discipline, confidence, and leans too heavily on Lamar to play hero ball- which he clearly isn't capable of doing week in and week out right now. Roman has failed on every front and needs to be removed. Maybe Tee Martin could step up and galvanize our guys on that side of the ball.

• Like 1