Is Aaron Rodgers done?

notthatbluestuff

On 10/23/2022 at 7:23 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Old Packer fans privately think this about young Packer fans and it's a really fun conversation if you can get them going. Which you can because it's a boomer argument but they're actually right for once.

Not a boomer, not under 40. But I have permanently banned myself from the GB forum. He's my favorite QB; and if you say that out loud in Wisconsin now, it seems you're rooting for Favre when he went over to the Vikings: no, worse!!!

Dark days ahead: 70s will be back. Just a few years ago everyone was complaining that Rodgers carried water for this FO for years (truth). And now it's like he's scammed the state for fifteen years. I don't get it.

AR would be fine with a line and some receivers: throw out the stats and grades, this line is the worst I remember in thirty years. The oline play has always been a matter of pride before talent. Former GB linemen have been tweeting or speaking openly about their embarassment for this squad increasingly over the last few weeks. They can still fix things imo but really need some luck to get healthy (both Bakh and Jenkins are struggling to come back). Line coaching is down, and the drafts of OL not so good. But has AR faded? keep him upright, get/develop some targets: he has one to three years if he wants. I think this DC is getting ripe: but he had some great games last year, and I'll give him time to work in the new parts they have this year. Don't know how you have an amazing pash rush, a really talented back end, and look this bad every second half.

• Like 1

I would love for it to be true, but I'm not buying it. I heard he was done in 2019, then he went and had two MVP seasons. I won't be convinced he's done until he's been out of football for at least two years and knee deep in his new career of being a professional internet provocateur. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Not a boomer, not under 40. But I have permanently banned myself from the GB forum. He's my favorite QB; and if you say that out loud in Wisconsin now, it seems you're rooting for Favre when he went over to the Vikings: no, worse!!!

Dark days ahead: 70s will be back. Just a few years ago everyone was complaining that Rodgers carried water for this FO for years (truth). And now it's like he's scammed the state for fifteen years. I don't get it.

It's funny you said your age, I almost wrote that the line is about 40 years old. Anyone who remembers the pre-Favre days, or was alive for it seems to understand that it could happen again.

It's almost like a weird social experiment.

• Like 1

I don't blame Packer's fans simply because many don't know better on really how good they've had it for the past 30+ years. The same could be said for Colts fans for roughly a 20 year stretch.

The truth is, it's VERY difficult to find a premier franchise quarterback in the NFL, and some teams have been trying to find one for 35+ years (Browns, Bears, etc.).

So yes, there's a small part of me or even a big part of me that's rooting for QB Armageddon for some of these franchises and fan bases who have made my life miserable for the past 25 years (I'm looking at you Colts fans here in Ohio), simply so they can have the same out of body experience that I had/have so that there's some empathy and understanding. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

AR would be fine with a line and some receivers: throw out the stats and grades, this line is the worst I remember in thirty years. The oline play has always been a matter of pride before talent. Former GB linemen have been tweeting or speaking openly about their embarassment for this squad increasingly over the last few weeks. They can still fix things imo but really need some luck to get healthy (both Bakh and Jenkins are struggling to come back). Line coaching is down, and the drafts of OL not so good. But has AR faded? keep him upright, get/develop some targets: he has one to three years if he wants. I think this DC is getting ripe: but he had some great games last year, and I'll give him time to work in the new parts they have this year. Don't know how you have an amazing pash rush, a really talented back end, and look this bad every second half.

I will trade Deshaun even up in 30 seconds

On 10/26/2022 at 6:44 AM, MWil23 said:

I don't blame Packer's fans simply because many don't know better on really how good they've had it for the past 30+ years. The same could be said for Colts fans for roughly a 20 year stretch.

The truth is, it's VERY difficult to find a premier franchise quarterback in the NFL, and some teams have been trying to find one for 35+ years (Browns, Bears, etc.).

So yes, there's a small part of me or even a big part of me that's rooting for QB Armageddon for some of these franchises and fan bases who have made my life miserable for the past 25 years (I'm looking at you Colts fans here in Ohio), simply so they can have the same out of body experience that I had/have so that there's some empathy and understanding. 

Or, maybe, all the fans that criticize Aaron Rodgers are rational and can separate the past from the present. 

It's possible to both:

(1) Appreciate what he has done and

(2) Recognize he's not living up to his current contract and

The whole while separating the football from the distasteful off-the-field stuff, too.

Aaron Rodgers was awesome, but is flawed. And when you're paid like the MVP, you deserve criticism when you're no longer playing like one.

Edited by incognito_man

On 10/26/2022 at 7:44 AM, MWil23 said:

Teams don’t understand our struggle, bro. 

- Pats fan in Year 3 post-Brady

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Or, maybe, all the fans that criticize Aaron Rodgers are rational and can separate the past from the present. 

It's possible to both:

The whole while separating the football from the distasteful off-the-field stuff, too.

Aaron Rodgers was awesome, but is flawed. And when you're paid like the MVP, you deserve criticism when you're no longer playing like one.

1 and 2 are true, but a rational fan should also understand that there is no one readily or realistically available who would do better, and there aren't really more efficient ways to spend the money if you wanted to win now.

If someone's opinion is they want to jump start a rebuild to get out of it faster, fair enough. But the tone of the 'replace Rodgers' brigade is that he's simply not good enough anymore and the team needs to win more immediately. There's unstated arrogance in the opinion that GB deserves a better QB than the current Aaron Rodgers, who would still walk in as the starter for most teams in the league, when you have fanbases rooting for Baker Mayfield, Andy Dalton, and Justin Fields. That's gonna rub people the wrong way.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:
9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's possible to both:

Expand  

1 and 2 are true, but a rational fan should also understand that there is no one readily or realistically available who would do better, and there aren't really more efficient ways to spend the money if you wanted to win now.

If someone's opinion is they want to jump start a rebuild to get out of it faster, fair enough. But the tone of the 'replace Rodgers' brigade is that he's simply not good enough anymore and the team needs to win more immediately. There's unstated arrogance in that opinion GB deserves a better QB than the current Aaron Rodgers, who would still walk in as the starter for most teams in the league, when you have fanbases rooting for Baker Mayfield, Andy Dalton, and Justin Fields. That's gonna rub people the wrong way.

This is absolutely my point.

While Rodgers this year isn't great or who he was paid to be, he's at 11 TD, 3 INT with a 94.9 QB Rating at almost a 67% completion rate, which is better than anything that some fanbases have had in close to 30-40 years if not ever.

He's projected to go for 27 TD, 7 INT, and 3,878 yards with basically nobody to throw the football to and zero offensive line outside of Josh Myers at Center. So, this is basically better than Baker Mayfield's best 2020 season, and Baker had infinitely better OL play and RB production with arguably better receivers.

The last GB 1st Round draft pick on offense not named Jordan Love (LOL by the way) was AARON RODGERS back in 2005.

To be blunt, Green Bay has been spoiled by such elite QB play for close to 30 years that they've been afforded the luxury of not investing in other areas on offense to give him help.

Maybe if they didn't give him a joke of an OL with dumpster fire WR, he wouldn't be playing quite as bad as he has.

Is he missing open guys? Sure

Is he showing signs of aging? Absolutely

Is he still one of the 10 best QB's in the NFL? Yes

I saw an "Aaron Rodgers is trash" joke the other day, and that's laughable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Teams don’t understand our struggle, bro. 

- Pats fan in Year 3 post-Brady

I say this as kindly as possible:

You aren't allowed to complain about "the struggle" for another 50 years per the law of averages at the QB position after 6 rings and having TB12.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

You aren't allowed to complain about "the struggle" for another 50 years per the law of averages at the QB position after 6 rings and having TB12.

3 straight QB bust cycles oughta get the "don't forget, you're here forever" juices flowing nice and good.

IMO that's the worst part. When you realize that the entire rebuild you sold yourself on was dead on arrival and you're back where you were 3 years ago. So Pats fans are probably accepting that...now-ish? Rough spot to be.

Either that or planning an offseason with excess cap space. GB fans doing the cap management don't understand it's only fun because you have too much talent to afford. When the puzzle solves itself and you have $25MM left over it's just sad.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

3 straight QB bust cycles oughta get the "don't forget, you're here forever" juices flowing nice and good.

IMO that's the worst part. When you realize that the entire rebuild you sold yourself on was dead on arrival and you're back where you were 3 years ago. So Pats fans are probably accepting that...now-ish? Rough spot to be.

And it's an even rougher spot when you're a team like the Colts (LOL LOL LOL Colts fans here in Ohio) or the Patriots, because you're probably in that "We are going to have to trade up to get the third best QB in the draft because we are going to pick between 6 and 14" position. (Ask the Kenny Pickett led Steelers after the last corpse of Big Ben years)

23 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Either that or planning an offseason with excess cap space. GB fans doing the cap management don't understand it's only fun because you have too much talent to afford. When the puzzle solves itself and you have $25MM left over it's just sad.

Don't get me wrong, the Packers are an incredibly run organization, but the "law of averages" eventually swings the other way. It's understandable when you let some dudes walk because they price themselves out, but IMO you also have to be able to recognize:

1. Your window (it's always "NOW" with an almost 40 year old MVP Quarterback)

2. The areas that you can afford to "skimp" on.

IMO in today's NFL, you build that offense up around Rodgers, while addressing the EDGE and secondary since you're at least in theory playing with a lead and don't maybe necessarily need to value some of those other defensive spots "as much".

They went to the NFCCG and then decided to draft Jordan Love and traded UP to get him instead of going ALL IN to run it back, and here we are a few years later.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Browns, Lions, Cardinals, Jags, Texans, Patriots.

I don’t know I kinda feel like we’re all in the same boat, fandom wise. Those greedy Packers fans just don’t get us.