Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

2 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

need to lose out, rams beat broncos, broncos beat cardinals. boom, #2 pick

if we want to get REALLY spicy, Texans have potentially winnable games against jax and indy to close out the season. if they win both of those and we lose out, we would have the #1 pick

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

if we want to get REALLY spicy, Texans have potentially winnable games against jax and indy to close out the season. if they win both of those and we lose out, we would have the #1 pick

You know we don't get to have nice things.

Stop It Neil Patrick Harris GIF

• Like 1

This season is a weird happy place right now, where I want them to win every game as usual, but the second the clocks at zero and they're losers it's cheerily onto the draft.  Definitely not something I want to get used to but prety low stress games aside from injuries. 

Edited by RunningVaccs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Faxing this to Ryan Poles attn,  seems totally reasonable and likely.  Hoping if I never touch the simulator again it'll occur just like this in April

pfn-logo-black
  • CHI
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jordan Addison
    WR USC
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Peter Skoronski
    OT Northwestern
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Clark Phillips III
    CB Utah
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Bijan Robinson
    RB Texas
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jared Verse
    EDGE Florida State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Henry To'oTo'o
    LB Alabama
    trade icon
  • CHI
    John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• CHI
    Darnell Wright
    OT Tennessee

• CHI
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• CHI
    Rashad Torrence II
    S Florida

• CHI
    Xavier Hutchinson
    WR Iowa State

• CHI
    Tuli Tuipulotu
    DT USC

• CHI
    Jaren Hall
    QB BYU

• 2024 SEA 1st
  • 2024 DET 1st
  • 2024 CAR 1st
  • 2024 PHI 1st
  • 2024 CAR 2nd
  • 2024 PHI 3rd

I can envision a world where all of the other GMs. scouts, and owners miss the draft due to COVID and this happens. I am definitely listing this in "possible draft scenarios" that could happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

I can envision a world where all of the other GMs. scouts, and owners miss the draft due to COVID and this happens. I am definitely listing this in "possible draft scenarios" that could happen.

Later, the NFL realized it was a terrible day to combine "take your kid to work day" with "everyone over 18 gets a Qualude" day 

• Like 3

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • CHI
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    WR Ohio State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Henry To'oTo'o
    LB Alabama
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Felix Anudike-Uzomah
    EDGE Kansas State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Andre Carter II
    EDGE Army
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Cooper Beebe
    OG Kansas State

• CHI
    Jalin Hyatt
    WR Tennessee

• CHI
    Warren McClendon
    OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• CHI
    Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Cory Trice
    CB Purdue
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Zacch Pickens
    DT South Carolina

• CHI
    Jaxson Kirkland
    OT Washington
    trade icon
  • 2024 IND 1st
  • 2024 IND 2nd

46 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:
team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • CHI
    Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    WR Ohio State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Henry To'oTo'o
    LB Alabama
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Felix Anudike-Uzomah
    EDGE Kansas State
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Andre Carter II
    EDGE Army
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Cooper Beebe
    OG Kansas State

• CHI
    Jalin Hyatt
    WR Tennessee

• CHI
    Warren McClendon
    OT Georgia
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• CHI
    Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Cory Trice
    CB Purdue
    trade icon
  • CHI
    Zacch Pickens
    DT South Carolina

• CHI
    Jaxson Kirkland
    OT Washington
    trade icon
  • 2024 IND 1st
  • 2024 IND 2nd

If any team can get Pickens in the 4th round yet alone the 6th I'll venmo you $100.

That being said, yes please! Maybe he'll get caught smoking a J the night before the draft!

Unpopular opinion, but wouldn't it be wise of us to shut down Fields for the rest of the year?  Let our back up QBs play to see what we have in them(I doubt it's much)  Why risk getting Fields injured to games with no stakes other than draft position?  Let some of the younger guys play, basically make the last 4 games preseason games for us? 

1 hour ago, Bowler1215 said:

Unpopular opinion, but wouldn't it be wise of us to shut down Fields for the rest of the year?  Let our back up QBs play to see what we have in them(I doubt it's much)  Why risk getting Fields injured to games with no stakes other than draft position?  Let some of the younger guys play, basically make the last 4 games preseason games for us? 

I'd be fine with it but I feel like our opportunity for that passed when he started last week. Would the NFL penalize the Bears for such an obvious tank-job? I honestly don't know.

1 hour ago, Bowler1215 said:

I'd be fine with it but I feel like our opportunity for that passed when he started last week. Would the NFL penalize the Bears for such an obvious tank-job? I honestly don't know.

11 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

After last week I would probably be against it purely for the development we would be missing out on…he looked healthy out there…he gets the bye week to rest up…the passing game looked far better against GB than it has and more importantly Fields felt it…that comfort level that he couldn’t really explain is real development…now he has back to back weeks against two of the elite teams in the league…if he can continue to develop and play well against those teams it makes it easier to attract free agents…makes it easier to get ownership to pay out for these free agents as well because we know we have the guy at QB and more importantly Fields knows he is the guy…get his confidence going if he is healthy…only reason not to play him is if that shoulder is bad.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

After last week I would probably be against it purely for the development we would be missing out on…he looked healthy out there…he gets the bye week to rest up…the passing game looked far better against GB than it has and more importantly Fields felt it…that comfort level that he couldn’t really explain is real development…now he has back to back weeks against two of the elite teams in the league…if he can continue to develop and play well against those teams it makes it easier to attract free agents…makes it easier to get ownership to pay out for these free agents as well because we know we have the guy at QB and more importantly Fields knows he is the guy…get his confidence going if he is healthy…only reason not to play him is if that shoulder is bad.

I want to see him play the last 4 weeks but more like what we saw against GB, to mean more plays meant for him to win from the pocket. This is the time for learn on the job mistakes in the passing game. The outcomes don’t matter. The next step in his evolution is winning consistently from the pocket with the elite runner ability as a tool always in his back pocket. The next 4 games that should be the focus IMO. 

• Like 2

I think we can give best efforts and still likely lose next 3 because those teams are better right now.

Minnesota may rest starters in last game and Bears get a try hard win.

Having #2 pick will be important if you want a trade haul and not a position player.   I would argue unless you are really sure you are getting an elite player you want the trade down from the top of draft when not selecting a QB.   

Still teams know we aren't drafting a QB and will try to ignore our slot even at #2.  

and also with #3-#5 pick that could be case.

If I am Poles and no one wants to trade with me because they think they can ignore me and there is a consensus first round QB sitting there multiple people are waiting on I consider taking him.

Force their hand.   Now I have him.   If you want him let's make a deal.

It's a gamble.  Something I would consider.  Danger is your bluff is called.  Ways to mitigate that too.   Show him off in preseason and trade him next year.   Game plan for preseason.  Play starters with him.   Get people excited.   But take the high value choice.   Don't let teams game you.   

Do I think that will happen?  No way.  I would do it though if teams made me.   It is a good strategy in Monopoly.  Take a property someone else needs, but you don't.   Make them trade with you.  Works in FF too.   

I think it is a safe bet that Houston, Detroit, Carolina, Colts, and Atlanta are looking QB.   I would say Washington as well though they are picking higher.

Seattle is a maybe.   They may want to keep Geno Smith since their coach is old and load up around him.

I don't think we are catching Houston.   Houston is awful.   Rams could lose out and hand #2 pick to Detroit eliminating their need to trade.

So if we are #3 that is top 2 QBs gone with us none the richer tradewise.

I don't know college QBs people say there are only the 2 QBs people really like Stroud and Young.   We need more people to fall in love with the other guys.   I read that the Kentucky and FL QB are climbing.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Having #2 pick will be important if you want a trade haul and not a position player.   I would argue unless you are really sure you are getting an elite player you want the trade down from the top of draft when not selecting a QB.   

Still teams know we aren't drafting a QB and will try to ignore our slot even at #2.  

and also with #3-#5 pick that could be case.

I agree completely with the bolded part. Who picks right after us will matter a lot here. If we end up right ahead of JAX or PHI (NO’s pick) for instance, who also won’t be taking a QB, it hurts our leverage quite a bit. We definitely want another team that at least might take a QB right behind us.

• Like 1

We said in offseason best scenario is Fields shows he is guy and we are sitting near top of draft.

For many it was hard to imagine us losing so many games AND Fields showing he was the guy.   People associate good QB play with wins.  

Here we are though.   Almost there.   Need to keep losing.

In fairness, the defense is Trestman era levels of bad.    DL fell off a cliff with depth of Quinn taken out.   Quinn wasn't setting world on fire, but he was a key rotational piece.  So everyone has played worse since he left.  

Then as a result of poor DL play secondary is way over worked - having to make so many tackles and worry about run game.   This is causing/caused more injuries and lack of depth.

A whole death spiral on defense.