Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well, 2nd dream. First dream is getting to 1… 

The total dream to me is that at least one of DEN or ARZ pick up one more win, the Texans beat the Colts in week 18, and we end up #1 with Houston and Indy in the Top 4 fighting to get to #1 to pick their QB. 

And even after we make that (hypothetical) trade, you still have Seattle, Atlanta and Carolina all looking for QBs as well

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Nah, its not that important right now. He isnt going to be seeing some life changing reads against the LIONS and VIKINGS defenses that he just has to be out there for. Both teams are just bad on D as us, arguably worse.

Im not even as worried about the Picks here, I think we would lose while trying out best right now. Its about our FRACHISE QB, out there taking unnecessary hits. he did need to be out there not only to Learn, but for us to find out what/who he was. And that is all done and settled. So now its time to protect him, as he is likely way too competitive to protect himself.

When we get back out there next year, and the games are meaningful again, I want him balls to the wall. But right now, when all that matters is draft picks and staying away from devastating injuries, shut it down. Its not about pride, its about the future.

We will need to agree to disagree on that one then cause for me we have seen the development through reps and it would be stupid to throw away 80-100 more game snaps this season as long as he is healthy to play.

29 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We will need to agree to disagree on that one then cause for me we have seen the development through reps and it would be stupid to throw away 80-100 more game snaps this season as long as he is healthy to play.

Definitely see your point and as long as he is healthy, I agree. My concern is keeping him healthy. I'm more than content to hear "I told you so" if QB2 stays clean and injury free if it guarantees Fields doesn't get a torn ACL or some other catastrophic- albeit highly unlikely - injury. 

I'd rather use the last two games to shake up spots and force relative unknowns into the spotlight. Throw Whitehair at C and put Borom and Leatherwood at the OG spots, and rotate in more young guys on the defense. See if someone can look like they are worth a small contract for 2023 as depth. We've seen a lot of guys who clearly have no place in future plans (like AQM), so they don't need the reps wasted to further confirm that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Definitely see your point and as long as he is healthy, I agree. My concern is keeping him healthy. I'm more than content to hear "I told you so" if QB2 stays clean and injury free if it guarantees Fields doesn't get a torn ACL or some other catastrophic- albeit highly unlikely - injury. 

I'd rather use the last two games to shake up spots and force relative unknowns into the spotlight. Throw Whitehair at C and put Borom and Leatherwood at the OG spots, and rotate in more young guys on the defense. See if someone can look like they are worth a small contract for 2023 as depth. We've seen a lot of guys who clearly have no place in future plans (like AQM), so they don't need the reps wasted to further confirm that. 

I just don’t think you can play scared in the NFL…sure if he is banged up then sit him down but if he is saying he is as healthy as the next guy then IMO you have to just go with it.

Getting the first overall pick would be a dream but I think Houston does whatever it takes to lose in week 18. The Colts could try tanking that game as well to screw over Houston and have a better shot at landing their QB of choice. It will be interesting.

Assuming Houston out-tanks Indy I could see this scenario playing out. Houston falls in love with Levis which is not unrealistic at all IMO. They’re a dumb franchise. I think Ballard has no choice but to aggressively pursue a QB and if Young falls to us we could be looking at an incredible haul that includes Buckner or Leonard. Imagine landing one of those guys AND Anderson/Carter 🤩

38 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

Getting the first overall pick would be a dream but I think Houston does whatever it takes to lose in week 18. The Colts could try tanking that game as well to screw over Houston and have a better shot at landing their QB of choice. It will be interesting.

Assuming Houston out-tanks Indy I could see this scenario playing out. Houston falls in love with Levis which is not unrealistic at all IMO. They’re a dumb franchise. I think Ballard has no choice but to aggressively pursue a QB and if Young falls to us we could be looking at an incredible haul that includes Buckner or Leonard. Imagine landing one of those guys AND Anderson/Carter 🤩

I'm hoping Lovie knows they are scrapping him and goes all-out to win as a final F U to HOU. I have zero reason to believe this other than I personally wouldn't want Lovie leading anything around my rookie QB. Now that Esterby is gone Caserio is in full control, and I actually think he is a pretty sharp guy.

I'd prefer Buckner and his contract is WAY friendlier to IND if they are trying to move either of those two. Even if we somehow landed Payne I'd still make that trade, and even then I'm not shying away from Carter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm hoping Lovie knows they are scrapping him and goes all-out to win as a final F U to HOU. I have zero reason to believe this other than I personally wouldn't want Lovie leading anything around my rookie QB. Now that Esterby is gone Caserio is in full control, and I actually think he is a pretty sharp guy.

I'd prefer Buckner and his contract is WAY friendlier to IND if they are trying to move either of those two. Even if we somehow landed Payne I'd still make that trade, and even then I'm not shying away from Carter.

Easterby was a cancer to that organization but don’t count out Cal McNair to meddle in the franchise QB decision. 

I’d prefer Buckner as well but wouldn’t turn down Leonard. He’s a better player than Roquan and would be worth his deal given our cap situation. The injuries piling up do scare me though. Sign me up for Buckner, Payne and Carter all day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Docknstein11 said:

Easterby was a cancer to that organization but don’t count out Cal McNair to meddle in the franchise QB decision. 

I’d prefer Buckner as well but wouldn’t turn down Leonard. He’s a better player than Roquan and would be worth his deal given our cap situation. The injuries piling up do scare me though. Sign me up for Buckner, Payne and Carter all day. 

If we were going to make a trade that included players I would probably try and get Kenny Moore II and one of the lesser known DL like Grover Stewart who is an outstanding run defender or Dayo Odeyingbo who is starting to live up to his potential.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

If we were going to make a trade that included players I would probably try and get Kenny Moore II and one of the lesser known DL like Grover Stewart who is an outstanding run defender or Dayo Odeyingbo who is starting to live up to his potential.

I just wanted to say I'm always impressed by your knowledge of prospects and players on other teams. I imagine you must spend significant time on it, and it shows. It always amazes me and I thought you should know how much I appreciate you being around these parts.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I just wanted to say I'm always impressed by your knowledge of prospects and players on other teams. I imagine you must spend significant time on it, and it shows. It always amazes me and I thought you should know how much I appreciate you being around these parts.

Thanks man...that means alot 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Kenny Moore is awesome and would make the secondary maybe the best in football. Add in some one like Stewart and I’d really like that. Tough to go against a game wrecker like Buckner though. He would elevate the entire defense. 

I traded with Washington at 21 for 2 on PFF simulator.

Bears:

21   (where we drafted Jaxon Smith-Njigba)

1, 2 and 3.

Crazy to be on this side of some of these trades.  Even in play.

To be able to make a big trade with a QB already in place is huge.

Zach Wilson is officially a bust for Jets.

They were 1 pick from Lawrence, the guy according to most everyone who was the nearest sure thing since Andrew Luck.

Did the Jets roster learn to win games and improve their culture in last 2 games of 2020 which took them off number 1? 

Were those valuable reps for whichever rookie?  

No one even remembers those games outside Jets fans.   I couldn't even tell you who they played.

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Remember when Fangio passed on Justin Fields for a cornerback when he already had a good defense and no QB?

He slit his own throat.  Or his GM did.

That was craziest choice of that draft to me in real time.  

It's why I love the butterfly effect of the draft...Carolina made their decision for them when they took Jaycee Horn over Patrick Surtain because according to the board Fields was higher than Horn but just behind Surtain so it took two QB needy teams making very specific picks to get Fields to fall...and there are probably another 100 small moves here and there we will never know about but it all comes together...

Let's hope the same can be said of the Texans in their last few games to move us up and from there everything is on the table.

• Like 2