Race for the #1 pick

beardown3231

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

In normal Bears fandom fashion, a lot of people overrated the living hell out of this roster. There are just so many awful and below average players on it

Some of that, and some injury too. Pringle was never healthy from the start of TC until the roster was so depleted by injury that he was basically playing as our WR1 (he’s obviously not that). He has seldom played in the complementary role we signed him for. Patrick got hurt the first week of TC and only played like 5 snaps where we signed him to play before being out the entire year. Mooney started slow but from week 4-10 was basically exactly what he was last year (62.4 ypg weeks 4-10; 62.1 ypg in 2021), then he got hurt too.

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Some of that, and some injury too. Pringle was never healthy from the start of TC until the roster was so depleted by injury that he was basically playing as our WR1 (he’s obviously not that). He has seldom played in the complementary role we signed him for. Patrick got hurt the first week of TC and only played like 5 snaps where we signed him to play before being out the entire year. Mooney started slow but from week 4-10 was basically exactly what he was last year (62.4 ypg weeks 4-10; 62.1 ypg in 2021), then he got hurt too.

Yeah if those 3 stayed healthy they'd be an 8 win team 🙄

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Where exactly was the part where I said that? 

What exactly was your point then? Clearly you're insinuating that the roster is bad but they'd have a few more wins without injuries. The roster is and was terrible, with or without Mooney, with or without a full season of Pringle and with or without Lucas Patrick. Patrick is a bum; good players aren't out on the open market and net a 2 year deal with a low AAV. Pringle is a bum; Reid doesn't let good WR's hit the open market to fetch a 1 year, $4M deal without matching. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

What exactly was your point then? Clearly you're insinuating that the roster is bad but they'd have a few more wins without injuries. The roster is and was terrible, with or without Mooney, with or without a full season of Pringle and with or without Lucas Patrick. Patrick is a bum; good players aren't out on the open market and net a 2 year deal with a low AAV. Pringle is a bum; Reid doesn't let good WR's hit the open market to fetch a 1 year, $4M deal without matching. 

You don’t think the team would’ve been better off with a healthy Patrick at C over Mustipher the whole season? A healthy Pringle at WR keeping Pettis limited to mostly PR work? With Mooney not getting injured?

I didn’t say those differences would have meant more wins nor was I inferring as such, and certainly not the difference between 3 and 8 wins. But, we’ve lost games by 8, 7, 5, 5, 3, 3 and 1 this year too. Let’s not pretend every game has looked like Dallas or the 2nd half of Buffalo. 

• Like 1

My favorite unreasonably optimistic scenario is for HOU to win one, Chicago lose out and CLE keep dropping games (find themselves into the 5-7 range with luck). HOU really wants their guy so we get two and another top 10 pick in this draft. 

Then draft a combo of Anderson/Carter and Wilson/Murphy/Ringo. 

On 12/26/2022 at 1:03 AM, Sugashane said:

My favorite unreasonably optimistic scenario is for HOU to win one, Chicago lose out and CLE keep dropping games (find themselves into the 5-7 range with luck). HOU really wants their guy so we get two and another top 10 pick in this draft. 

Then draft a combo of Anderson/Carter and Wilson/Murphy/Ringo. 

probably still too rich, even for a Franchise QB, but hey there are alot of dumb people in NFL front offices, and if they are desperate, theres no telling what would happen

I do think if somehow that played out, I wouldnt expect the other 2023 1st rounder. But it might bring one of thier 2024 firsts in to play, even for a one slot climb, in order to keep other teams at bay

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

probably still too rich, even for a Franchise QB, but hey there are alot of dumb people in NFL front offices, and if they are desperate, theres no telling what would happen

I do think if somehow that played out, I wouldnt expect the other 2023 1st rounder. But it might bring one of thier 2024 firsts in to play, even for a one slot climb, in order to keep other teams at bay

Exactly! Always try to sell high in hope of desperation and/or incompetence. You can haggle down from there if someone isn't an idiot. 😁

HOU firing Esterby made this way less likely to happen though.

• Like 1

But Eberflus said Monday sitting him the rest of the way is “absolutely not" a consideration.

Why not?

“Because we’ve got to get better,” the coach said. “We want to improve. We want to see where we are. These last two games matter. They’re division opponents to us, very important to our football team to see the competition, to see guys compete against our division. I think it’s important for each man, it’s important for each unit and it’s important for our whole football team.”

I really hope this is just coach speak, and them doing some CYA as far as any tanking allegations/investigations might go

Fields should not see single snap the rest of the way, he does have an injury so stop trying to pussyfoot around here. Its two teams who want/need wins, let them have it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I really hope this is just coach speak, and them doing some CYA as far as any tanking allegations/investigations might go

Fields should not see single snap the rest of the way, he does have an injury so stop trying to pussyfoot around here. Its two teams who want/need wins, let them have it

I get the "we never play to lose" talk but its bunk IMO. It gets old seeing a really good to great player being one pick ahead of you, especially when Donald, Leonard and Allen go a single pick ahead of you. Why was CHI behind, because of one meaningless game being won each time.

Thankfully Fields looks like he could be the franchise QB we have all been pining for but even after trades the Bears were one pick away from Conklin and Myles Garrett too. Hopefully CHI doesn't find a way to botch this. lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

With this defence we can play Fields and will still lose…Fields getting the snaps is really important to his overall development as we have seen the more this season goes on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

With this defence we can play Fields and will still lose…Fields getting the snaps is really important to his overall development as we have seen the more this season goes on.

Nah, its not that important right now. He isnt going to be seeing some life changing reads against the LIONS and VIKINGS defenses that he just has to be out there for. Both teams are just bad on D as us, arguably worse.

Im not even as worried about the Picks here, I think we would lose while trying out best right now. Its about our FRACHISE QB, out there taking unnecessary hits. he did need to be out there not only to Learn, but for us to find out what/who he was. And that is all done and settled. So now its time to protect him, as he is likely way too competitive to protect himself.

When we get back out there next year, and the games are meaningful again, I want him balls to the wall. But right now, when all that matters is draft picks and staying away from devastating injuries, shut it down. Its not about pride, its about the future.

Were things to end up where they are now (top 8 is HOU, us, SEA, AZ, IND, ATL, DET, CAR), we are in a prime trade down spot, even selling off for QB2. From here my preference would be to ask the world from IND to jump SEA and still be assured to get one of Anderson/Carter/Murphy, or even possibly a 2nd trade down for someone looking to target Levis. If we could swap down from 2-5, and then again from 5-8, we could potentially end up with 2-3 extra picks in the first 2 rounds both this and next year. That’s a dream scenario. Well, 2nd dream. First dream is getting to 1…