Week 6 MNF: Broncos @ Chargers

BroncoSojia

Week 6 MNF: Broncos @ Chargers  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will you watch?

• Yes
    • No
    • The Broncos are on primetime again?!?!
    • Fire Staley and/or Hackett

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/18/2022 at 12:20 AM

As for the Chargers, a few observations:

OFFENSE

-OMG OC Joe Lombardi's scheme is such a horrible fit for Justin Herbert.   They run, or throw the ball short on 1st / 2nd down - which fits Drew Brees to a T.   It does NOT fit what Justin Herbert does best.    It's ridiculous how much the scheme limits Herbert's ceiling.  And it's not just this game - it's season long (just like last year) - witness the metrics on target/route depth before last night:

-Having said the above, Herbert was not his best tonight.  First 2 drives, sailed throws he should have had.   And then a couple of bad reads on the key 4th down play (DeAndre Carter was blanketed, not open), and on the OT 3rd and 1 (Everett was open, but didn't pull the trigger).    He also failed to pull the trigger on an open Ekeler (when he was stuck on 4 catches and I got nervous about my bets lol) and nearly got Ekeler killed later on.    This was NOT his A+ self tonight.

-The OL play losing their star C, and DJ Jones and Dre'mont Jones giving the IOL fits, was a problem - but it's one that's likely temporary.   When they have All-Pro C Corey Linsley  back, it will be better.   Frankly, to have lost him unexpectedly today, they'll be so happy to get the W.

-I don't understand the fascination with Sony Michel.  I get Austin Ekeler needs a break, but honestly, Shawn Kelly is a better runner.   If it's for pass pro, OK, I get it.   But it's a minus to use Michel so much.  I can see why they drafted Isiah Spiller (next year impact).

-The TE's and Ekeler gave our ILB's fits (no surprises).   It's no coincidence Herbert had more trouble when Parham left the game.   If he's re-concussed, that's a massive L.  He's such a mismatch.  I think he's a better receiving weapon than Everett TBH.   Fingers crossed it's not a 2nd concussion after that scary knockout on TNF last year.

DEFENSE

-On D, gotta say they came up huge.   Their run D only gave up maybe 3 chunk run plays of over 5 yards.   Big improvement.  Joseph-Day really stood out in run D.

-The pass rush and blitz calls gave the OL fits all 2H and in OT.   Great play calling there.  Drue Tranquill had a great game.

-The big minus was JC Jackson.  I know he's still recovering from his surgery, and catching up on the new scheme, but he was responsible for 3 of the 4 biggest plays the DEN pass O created.   It was no coincidence Michael Davis coming in helped shore up the pass D.   There's plenty of time for JC to get caught up and start playing like his old self, but right now, he's a liability.

SPECIAL TEAMS

-Hands down the K Dustin Hopkins HAS to win ST player of the week.  That was a gutty performance to kick all the FG's on one good leg.   He literally gets the first game ball.

To be clear - Chargers can't use the same game plan vs. SEA next week.   ARI did a carbon copy of run and short passes early - and didn't get anywhere.   The Chargers can use the RB/TE (and Keenan Allen coming back would be massive), but they have to be MORE aggressive.   Still, if they win that one at home, they then enter the bye week 5-2, and are right there with KC.  Given how bad things looked after Week 3 - they'll no doubt take it.   They just need OC Lombardi to open things up.  Staley needs to own that part.    If they do, the sky's the limit for their O (and yes, Allen returning helps a ton).   But until then, expect more game like tonight, where a talented O really under-delivers (and yes, I know that's the pot calling the kettle black being a DEN fan, but I've been brutally frank with their issues too lol).  Still, at 4-2 there's time to fix things.   Just it needs to happen if they want to be a true contender and go far in January.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Honestly, you might see serious improvement if the Broncos fire Hackett, promote Evero to HC, promote Klint Kubiak to OC, and make Dom Capers DC (in name only).

Yeah, trust me, I've been on that bandwagon since the LV game.   Evero is our future, so might as well let him sink/swim (and stay in control of this D).    If Hackett were fired tomorrow as a result of this game's O futility, I'd honestly accept the L more as losing the battle to win the war.

It's so bad with Hackett right now that the L's don't even bother me - because they only add another nail to his coaching coffin.   IMO we have ZERO shot to win games in January of ANY year with Hackett as HC - it doesn't mean we don't have issues with Wilson, but Hackett's the head of the snake in this case.  The sooner we cut bait, the better - so I'd rather lose games that gets him fired sooner, than have some mirage W's that extend the pain.    I used to be only with a small section of fans that felt this way - but let's just say the "fire Hackett before season is up" camp has grown exponentially - and to be clear, this was frank lunacy to consider even after the SEA game, but it's not so insane now.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Was JC Jackson benched?

Michael Davis took over.   Along with more blitzing, that's when the LAC D started to assert itself in the pass D game.

Jackson's still basically in TC conditioning and scheme-adjustment wise.   So ppl shouldn't panic long-term about the fit / etc.   But he's costing them win probability each play he's on the field.   It will improve and likely quickly (post-bye I'd guess), but it was a strong move to put Davis in.  He made a couple of huge plays I'm not sure Jackson would've (by not being in the right spot / making the right read).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

I just threw up looking at Herbie’s passing chart from last night. 

Free this man.

It’s crazy how bad OC Lombardi’s scheme is.  This is before this week but look at the depth of target AND depth of route.   It’s just criminal how conservative Lombardi’s pass scheme is.     It’s not just the eye test - the numbers prove it: 

So not only are the targets short - the routes being run are short.  That’s all on Lombardi’s brain-injured scheme. 

To be clear HC Staley needs to be held accountable too - he signs off on keeping OC Lombardi and the brain-injured scheme they’re using for Herbert.   But if ppl want to know why the O isn’t going well in LAC it’s a massive part on the scheme.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1