Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

Right because no one has been fired after getting a new contract. He's done a really bad job the last few off seasons in the draft and addressing needs during the season. Let's offer Odell the minimum so he can take 3 million and win the rams a ring. 

Gutey likely missed on Love and adequately addressing the WR position this year.

Other than that, he and MLF went to the NFC championship game twice and I believe had the best record in the NFL over the previous 3 years after having to retool a depleted roster that TT sadly left.  They didn't win a superbowl, but Gute has done a solid (not perfect) job bringing new talent into GB at premium positions via the draft and free agency. I also think his WR draft picks for 2022 will prove to be nice additions in the long run, just not enough for 2022. That is why more than Watkins should have been done and he messed that up. Having to keep Cobb probably complicated that though.

It's not an excuse because every team has injuries but the health of Bak, Jenkins, Tonyan, etc factored into where the offense is at now.

Having a down year dosen't get you canned, having multiple down years does. He would probably have to have somehting like two more down years before his seat is really hot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Why?  We aren't going anywhere this year.  A WR might make the team more watchable but we can't afford to give away draft picks if we want to fix this mess any time soon.

I have no problem with it if it's a proven young WR that would be on GB's roster for multiple years. WR is going to be a need next year even if Watkins, Doubs, Toure pan out and I don't think you adress it with only another draft pick next year that may not be good until Rodgers is done. A good young vet WR also helps Rodgers come back, although I have little doubt he's already kind of informed Gutey and MM that he plans to play beyodn this season.

I'm having a tough time deciding whether some posts in this thread are just venting, or the posters actually believe there is a possibility that MLF/Gute could be fired after the season.  Make up a ridiculous premise which will never happen just to set up mock outrage when it doesn't happen.  It's absurd.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I have no problem with it if it's a proven young WR that would be on GB's roster for multiple years. WR is going to be a need next year even if Watkins, Doubs, Toure pan out and I don't think you adress it with only another draft pick next year that may not be good until Rodgers is done. A good young vet WR also helps Rodgers come back, although I have little doubt he's already kind of informed Gutey and MM that he plans to play beyodn this season.

This is my viewpoint too. No expiring contracts, but anyone with 2 or 3 years left on their deal I'd move for.

I'd inquire hard on DJ Moore but I doubt Carolina moves him - they want him to the the top target for their rookie QB next year.

Otherwise, I like Elijah Moore if the Jets move on. Good production as a rookie and he can be the slot guy fully once Cobb is gone. 

Other names I'd inquire on are Brandon Cooks, and similarly I've heard rumors that the Rams are shopping Allen Robinson as part of their pursuit of Cooks. 

I'm OK with giving up this year's potentially higher value draft assets for a WR with multiple years left on their deal.

Next year we'll have next to no money, even less money if Rodgers retires. Our WR room would be Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Toure. We would have one year to evaluate if we wanted to exercise Love's option, absolutely no way can you fairly trade him with that group.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm OK with giving up this year's potentially higher value draft assets for a WR with multiple years left on their deal.

Next year we'll have next to no money, even less money if Rodgers retires. Our WR room would be Watson, Doubs, Rodgers, Toure. We would have one year to evaluate if we wanted to exercise Love's option, absolutely no way can you fairly trade him with that group.

If I may....

I'll dogpile this thought and reference free agent receivers after this season.

It's highlighted by Alan Lazard, Ju Ju Smith Schuster and Mercole Hardman.

It isn't like help is coming from that scrap heap.

It's either make a move now for a proven WR, or the draft. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If I may....

I'll dogpile this thought and reference free agent receivers after this season.

It's highlighted by Alan Lazard, Ju Ju Smith Schuster and Mercole Hardman.

It isn't like help is coming from that scrap heap.

It's either make a move now for a proven WR, or the draft. 

With the '23 FA class being a trash heap, it makes it less likely that any kind of "proven" WR will be moved.

The Bengals won't move Higgins/Boyd with Chase down. Russ seems to like throwing to Jeudy and really have nothing behind him right now. The Steelers don't have a lot of incentive to move Claypool. Especially since the Steelers like using three WRs. 

Brandin Cooks and Elijah Moore are probably the closest of the names that have been floated. You'll need to pay more for the Texans to eat Cooks' contract. I'd say Moore makes the most sense if the Jets actually want to move him, which they don't seem to be willing to do...though his usage is also real bad right now. But that might specifically be a Zach Wilson problem.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Gutey likely missed on Love and adequately addressing the WR position this year.

Other than that, he and MLF went to the NFC championship game twice and I believe had the best record in the NFL over the previous 3 years after having to retool a depleted roster that TT sadly left.  They didn't win a superbowl, but Gute has done a solid (not perfect) job bringing new talent into GB at premium positions via the draft and free agency. I also think his WR draft picks for 2022 will prove to be nice additions in the long run, just not enough for 2022. That is why more than Watkins should have been done and he messed that up. Having to keep Cobb probably complicated that though.

It's not an excuse because every team has injuries but the health of Bak, Jenkins, Tonyan, etc factored into where the offense is at now.

Having a down year dosen't get you canned, having multiple down years does. He would probably have to have somehting like two more down years before his seat is really hot.

He's Rob Pelinka surrounding LeBron with no shooting. He knew we had nothing at wr or te and did nothing to address it until it was too late with rookies. The one chance we get for a fa to come here offers the vet min to the Odell that was the rams best offensive player in playoffs until he was injured. 

Invested a ton of picks into the defense that continues a decade long run of being just flat out bad. Coaching on defense sucks and the talent on offense even with Jones and Rodgers is the worst in the NFL. Inexcusable to come into the year the way we did on offense.

All these good teams constantly looking to add talented pass catchers while we sat on our hands with Adams and literally shat our pants after he left. He was given a dream job and has done a mediocre job at best

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm having a tough time deciding whether some posts in this thread are just venting, or the posters actually believe there is a possibility that MLF/Gute could be fired after the season.  Make up a ridiculous premise which will never happen just to set up mock outrage when it doesn't happen.  It's absurd.

Obviously they won't be gone but that doesn't mean they don't deserve to be. I wouldn't fire Matt but the 2020 draft is an all time horrible draft for a team a player or two away from a Superbowl and when you add it to his plan going into this year he should certainly be on the hot seat. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

He's Rob Pelinka surrounding LeBron with no shooting. He knew we had nothing at wr or te and did nothing to address it until it was too late with rookies. The one chance we get for a fa to come here offers the vet min to the Odell that was the rams best offensive player in playoffs until he was injured

Invested a ton of picks into the defense that continues a decade long run of being just flat out bad. Coaching on defense sucks and the talent on offense even with Jones and Rodgers is the worst in the NFL. Inexcusable to come into the year the way we did on offense.

All these good teams constantly looking to add talented pass catchers while we sat on our hands with Adams and literally shat our pants after he left. He was given a dream job and has done a mediocre job at best

Odell was an important piece for the Rams, but Kupp had games of 9/183/1 TD, 11/142/2 TD, and 8/92/2 TD in the playoffs. He was, and still is, the best and most important player in that Rams offense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

The players TT left are the heart of the team.    Gute has let the rosters overall talent consistently slip since his coming on the scene.

TT Players:  Rodgers, Adams Bakhtiari, Jones, Kenny Clark

Gute Key players: Alexander, Gary, Jenkins

Holes:  Pretty much the entire defense, All of special teams, WR talent.  Our investment at the Db positions have to at or close to top of the league and yet week after week we see wide open receivers and terrible tackling.

Gute has already had the down years.  Time to improve the organization where it is failing.  He has greatly mismanaged the roster configuration and ignored replenishing the offense in a league that is passing game driven.  He messed up the QB position with the timing and selection of Love.   

As far as the injuries:  They should have known where Bakhtiari, Tonyan and Jenkins were at.  These aren't in season injuries.

Gute has put the great majority of the organization's resources into defense and the defense is still subpar.    24 first half points yesterday which ended the game right there as the offense doesn't have the talent to score more than that against a good team.

Sorry but the longer you let Gute run this team the lower the talent level and performance will be.   It is already time.  This convoluted mess of an org structure that Murphy put together is also a real problem moving forward.  That alone is the best argument for keeping Gute.   No GM should accept coming into this org structure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The players TT left are the heart of the team.    Gute has let the rosters overall talent consistently slip since his coming on the scene.

TT Players:  Rodgers, Adams Bakhtiari, Jones, Kenny Clark

Gute Key players: Alexander, Gary, Jenkins

Holes:  Pretty much the entire defense, All of special teams, WR talent.  Our investment at the Db positions have to at or close to top of the league and yet week after week we see wide open receivers and terrible tackling.

Gute has already had the down years.  Time to improve the organization where it is failing.  He has greatly mismanaged the roster configuration and ignored replenishing the offense in a league that is passing game driven.  He messed up the QB position with the timing and selection of Love.   

As far as the injuries:  They should have known where Bakhtiari, Tonyan and Jenkins were at.  These aren't in season injuries.

Gute has put the great majority of the organization's resources into defense and the defense is still subpar.    24 first half points yesterday which ended the game right there as the offense doesn't have the talent to score more than that against a good team.

Sorry but the longer you let Gute run this team the lower the talent level and performance will be.   It is already time.  This convoluted mess of an org structure that Murphy put together is also a real problem moving forward.  That alone is the best argument for keeping Gute.   No GM should accept coming into this org structure.

Okay, NFL Cap math 101.  If you are a GM and you inherit Rodgers, Adams, Bakh and Clark you are inheriting great players....on second deals.  Or needing second deals.  Or third deals.  You've inherited the opportunity to spend more money on aging guys.

Gute brought in not one, but two EDGE guys.  And they were/are both very good.  Brought in a veteran OL who played well for us, (though I'd say, not great).  Brought in a very good safety.

New GM won a lot of games.  Hit on Gary, JA and Stokes in the first round.  Only Gary was a higher pick.  Found Jenkins who was a flat out stud until this year.  Found an All Pro ILB on the scrap heap.  Found a very good corner on the scrap heap.

I mean, I get wanting to be critical of the front office.  I really do.  But the only thing I can criticize them on is not addressing the WR room sooner.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Keeping Rodgers is the big one.

I blame Rodgers, too.  Equally.  He easily could have said I'm outta here.  

Question for you...concerning the front office.

Back in the day, we were drafting in 2018.  At #14.  Davenport on the board.  We traded with the Saints, right?  Got their first round pick in that draft, AND their pick in the 2019 first round.

Then Gute traded up to #18 for JA, right?

I mean, Gute isn't sitting on his hands on draft day.  And that was a great trade for GB.

I think we kind of forget the way that whole thing went down and simply say, he drafted JA.

• Like 1