49ers trading for Christian McCaffrey

Trojan

1 hour ago, Cypher said:

That's just his base salary. We're eating the guarantees as far as I can tell.

His base salary numbers the next three years were 11.8, 11.8 and 12.

The "guarantees" you are talking about is signing bonus proration, and is money that is already paid. 

All money that gets paid to a player counts against the cap. Signing bonuses get prorated over the life of the contract (max 5 years). When a player gets cut/traded, the prorated amount that has not counted towards the cap, but has already been paid to that player, counts immediately. You can then spread that out over 2 seasons if you want because it is after June 1st. 

Every new dollar that CMC gets paid from now on comes from the 49ers. 

Unfortunately for you, there was really no way for Carolina to have the niners take on the cap hit for money that the panthers already paid him. 

Hopefully that makes sense to you. This is very standard in the NFL

21 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Welp, the 49ers threw down the gauntlet. Time to do your thing, Rams. Looks like we have to trade for multiple dudes now lol.

The nice thing is that there should be quite a few truly quality running backs available. 

Jourdan Rodrigue said you guys were looking at a second and third, so clearly the picks are in play

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ah, but doesn't having CMC take the ball out of the QB's hands more so you don't have to worry about how good the qb is as much? 

In a perfect world yes. But giving up that level of draft capital when there is an enormous ? at the most vital of positions would make me uneasy. Not to mention for an oft injured RB.

Not trying to sound like a hater, in fact I love these blockbuster moves, but I don't know if this was necessarily a smart move for the 49ers in the long-term.

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

This makes the 49ers dangerous this year for sure. I like the move for them. Though with their luck he'll probably get hurt. 

Just means they are going to dink and dunk more. Which is all they pretty much did before they made this trade. Jimmy's efficiency throwing past 15 yards are terrible this season.