49ers trading for Christian McCaffrey

Trojan

So is the goal to use Deebo as more of a strict WR now? A lot of the uniqueness of what McCaffrey gives you as a RB is what made Deebo unique as a WR. You already had to gameplan when you played SF for a unique star player with the ability to beat you in the backfield, in the slot or outside. Kind of see a bit of the law of diminishing returns here. I guess we'll see if the whole "two is better than one" plays out here. Honestly think if they were willing to part with that much pick compensation they should've tried for DJ Moore instead of McCaffrey. Then when they get creative with Deebo they still have Aiyuk and Moore outside and Kittle inline. That's more dangerous to me IMO.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

Crazy how people actually think this was a bad move for the 49ers. 

Their QB aren't taking up much capital so they can afford his contract and he's an absolute difference maker, plus he will make life a lot easier on Lance next year. I didn't really think the Rams were going to land him, but I was hoping for an AFC. Congrats 49ers fans, your team got a stud (and I hate everything about it).

How is it not a bad move? They gave up four draft picks for a guy with major injury issues at one of the most replaceable positions in the league. I get he's a stud but they already were out of their first round pick so this just seems insane to me. 

In 2020, McCaffrey suffered a high-ankle sprain, an injury anyone can suffer at any time.  Then he hurt his shoulder vs the Chiefs, an injury he could have returned from that year if the Panthers had any shot at the playoffs.  It was an AC joint sprain.

In 2021, he pulled his hamstring.  Then an ankle injury (again not requiring surgery) and we IR him.  Ankle is the only repeat injury.

It isn't like he's torn his ACL or even suffered any major injury (none of them needed surgery).  He never missed a game in his first 3 years and has held up all year.  Stayed healthy at Stanford.  Sure, could he get hurt?  Yeah.  But I feel like people just look at the games missed and don't actually look at the injuries.  Similar to Keenan Allen, who everyone labeled injury prone because of some random injuries that didn't correlate, and up until this year he's been remarkably healthy since.  

I'd call Odell's injury history far more concerning.  3 season-ending lower body injuries in his last 5 seasons.  And yet nobody in the Odell thread is saying, "yeah, Odell will definitely help a team... IF HE STAYS HEALTHY."  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

I'm simultaneously confused how this team can continue to spend these assets in such a poor way and believe that people are overreacting to the assets given up in this trade given the rest of the niners mid round draft capital. It's a weird place to be

59 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How is it not a bad move? They gave up four draft picks for a guy with major injury issues at one of the most replaceable positions in the league. I get he's a stud but they already were out of their first round pick so this just seems insane to me. 

Because he's a difference maker. 

He's not just an average "replaceable" runningback. He takes that offense to another level and adding him to an offense with Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk is going to be pretty hard to stop. If you think CMC is just another RB, watch how easily the Panthers replace him. He was still producing on that terrible offense before the trade. 

The only thing that would've made it a bad trade is his contract but Trey/Jimmy's contract situations make it manageable over the next few years.

• Like 1

This is one of those situations where it would definitely constitute as an overpay but in reality, it's masterful manipulation of compensatory picks to where the 49ers actually aren't giving anything up. It's definitely a reason I hate those picks existing...there's really no reason I see why a team should get extra assets if they have a player or now coach leave. It's like...if that person was that important, the organization would make sure they didn't leave 😃

14 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

It's definitely a reason I hate those picks existing...there's really no reason I see why a team should get extra assets if they have a player or now coach leave. It's like...if that person was that important, the organization would make sure they didn't leave 😃

What about the good organization/teams that can't "make sure they didn't leave" because other organizations want that formula of succes/culture? You talking about blocking a OC or DC from taking a HC position elsewhere? A positional coach from OC/DC?

That seems fair to a young or established Coordinator to impede his ability of becoming a NFL HC themselves one day.

Edited by Nabbs4u

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

What about the good organization/teams that can't "make sure they didn't leave" because other organizations want that formula of succes/culture? You talking about blocking a OC or DC from taking a HC position elsewhere? A positional coach from OC/DC?

That seems fair to a young or established Coordinator to impede his ability of becoming a NFL HC themselves one day.

Nah I believe bad organizations deserve people leaving and don't deserve compensation for that. I definitely want people to go where they want to go though. Again, I just don't understand the reasoning behind hiring a certain coach or drafting a certain player that works out (but leaves) and then getting ADDITIONAL compensation after losing them. Seems like a way to keep good teams good tbh

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

Because he's a difference maker. 

He's not just an average "replaceable" runningback. He takes that offense to another level and adding him to an offense with Deebo, Kittle, and Aiyuk is going to be pretty hard to stop. If you think CMC is just another RB, watch how easily the Panthers replace him. He was still producing on that terrible offense before the trade. 

The only thing that would've made it a bad trade is his contract but Trey/Jimmy's contract situations make it manageable over the next few years.

The position itself is replaceable and I never called CMC average. I said he's a stud, when healthy the best player at his position but that doesn't change the fact the NFL is just different now. Pouring a ton of draft picks into RB just isn't a great idea. Especially one with a bunch of mileage on him already. Maybe it works out but do you genuinely believe the 49ers were a CMC away from a Super Bowl?