Time to Fire LaFleur, Gute, and Murphy And Burn The House Down

LLcheesehead12

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

I don't think you need a pure alpha WR1

For me you want two legitimate starting calibre WR even if they are WR1/WR2 type guys and a solid WR3. Then you have what you need for a strong WR group. Hitting on your second rounders at the position will do that.

You can argue for Lazard but I don't think we have any legitimate starting calibre WR at the moment, we have plenty that would be great as your solid WR3 option.

I think you just made the argument for Lazard.  If he is even arguably good enough, but there is no one else that is a starting calibre guy, he isn't going to shine.  His help right now is:  Christian Watson, who should terrify defenses until he gets tackled once; Romeo Doubs, who has questionable hands at the moment; and Randall Cobb who wins by being savvy.  Lazard is very big for a WR, and fast enough, and has pretty good hands.  Now, would I pay him a Davante or Tyreek contract? Not a chance.  But I would rank him in at least the top 50 WRs in the league.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Basically every piece of data available says R2 is the sweet spot for WR drafting. 

It is interesting looking back at the early round (1-2) draft history for WR

• 1996 -- Derrick Mays round 2
  • 2001 -- Robert Ferguson round 2
  • 2002 -- Javon Walker round 1
  • 2005 -- Terrance Murphy round 2
  • 2006 -- Greg Jennings round 2
  • 2008 -- Jordy Nelson round 2
  • 2011 -- Randall Cobb round 2
  • 2014 -- Davante Adams round 2
  • 2022 -- Christian Watson

There was a pretty consistent investment in 2nd round WR every few years..... but a really long gap from 2014 to 2022.  2017-2019 should have seen another addition to that mix.

• 2017 -- Josh Jones
  • 2018 -- Josh Jackson
  • 2019 -- Elgton Jenkins

Seems like the big issues at CB/DB left a hole and the "sacrifice" was WR.  2015 Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins misses might have been the start of the process to fill that hole.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

There's some harsh busts in that group, which I think points to another advantage OTs have over WRs. They tend to be far more graceful busts, occasionally being saved to a switch to an IOL spot. I feel like when WRs bust, they tend to bust hard.

Robert Gallery sucked as a Tackle, but he was a passable Guard and started 100 games in an 8 year career.

Andre Smith was a passable RT for a minute and started 100 games in a 13 year career. 

Eugene Monroe was a good player before injuries torpedoed his career. 

Matt Kalil was a solid player before injuries torpedoed his career.

Ereck Flowers was terrible, but even he managed to start 100 games.

The 49ers felt good enough about McGlinchey to exercise his 5th year option. 

Fully agree.   Even listing Brandon Scherff as a "hit" for OT when he has spent most of his career as an OG.   Still a hit from a production perspective, but OT have fall back options if they do not perform at OT by being able to move to OG.  WR are either  WR or looking for work outside of football

16 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you just made the argument for Lazard.  If he is even arguably good enough, but there is no one else that is a starting calibre guy, he isn't going to shine.  His help right now is:  Christian Watson, who should terrify defenses until he gets tackled once; Romeo Doubs, who has questionable hands at the moment; and Randall Cobb who wins by being savvy.  Lazard is very big for a WR, and fast enough, and has pretty good hands.  Now, would I pay him a Davante or Tyreek contract? Not a chance.  But I would rank him in at least the top 50 WRs in the league.

I dont know if anyone mentioned it (I'm hoping many did) but Lazard balled out vs the Lions

Edited by Mr Bad Example

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Doesn't the fact that MVS signed a 10 year AAV contract and Allen Lazard got a second round tender indicate that the unit was not, in fact, just "bits"

Valuing other teams potentially bad contracts is a dicey proposition.  See Golladay, Kenny as Exhibit A

Is a 2nd round tender that much of a value?  $3.9M puts him like 53 in AAV for WR in 2022

it was a cheap option for a cash strapped team

So in the midst of all my being right about Rodgers, I feel like I'm not getting enough credit for being right about Josh McDaniels. 

They had a better coach in the building, and now he's our ST coach (and even he can't fix our broke *** units)

That’s my thing. I’m the toad a so person.

• Like 1

So in the midst of all my being right about Rodgers, I feel like I'm not getting enough credit for being right about Josh McDaniels. 

They had a better coach in the building, and now he's our ST coach (and even he can't fix our broke *** units)

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s my thing. I’m the toad a so person.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of the board was on the trade Rodgers wagon for a couple of years. Some longer than that so let's not act like you were the lone soldiers on the front lines. 

• Like 1

The 'christian watson is soft'-style takes are so lazy. He had a concussion. He wanted to go back in against detroit. He was playing through an incompletely recovered hamstring injury. 

Its not like he is sitting on the sideline with bruises. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the majority of the board was on the trade Rodgers wagon for a couple of years. Some longer than that so let's not act like you were the lone soldiers on the front lines. 

No my man, Outpost and I were first. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No my man, Outpost and I were first. 

Only been here a few years so I will take your word for it. I've been on that bandwagon for quite some time. Once you become a diva and bigger than the team, I'm done with you. 

Excuse me, but I was THE first.

@AlexGreen#20 and @incognito_man were both skeptical when I first said it in 2016 before that contract extension, but they weren’t combative towards it, and both were on board midway through the 2017 season.

@Norm was the next.

@beekay414 fought me hard on it. Really hard. He was sometime after Norm.

@cannondale is still ignoring visual proof he’s wrong.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

When you call out something long enough you are bound to be right eventually.

You were wrong about him for several years running, yet now claim to be correct after a six game sample size?   Utter foolishness.   Still waiting for you to admit you were wrong for the last 2 years where the guy you criticized incessantly won the league MVP.

You have a very low bar for the accuracy you expect of yourself.

• Like 1