Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2/17/23)

Acgott

This could really disappoint at the box office. Overseas numbers for MCU movies have tanked this year, and so far this one isn't even matching the previous 2 Ant-Man films.

This will have a big opening, but legs could really struggle with poor critical reception and poor audience reception. Considering the hype Feige and Disney put behind this movie, this could be a serious gut punch to phase 5. If it follows Godzilla or Amazing Spider-Man 2...oof.

I like Feige saying they are going to cut down on the shows. It has oversaturated the MCU and made it too complicated for the GA. We'll see what else they have in store to course correct.

I think I'm going to start a Box Office Thread. This stuff now fascinates me.

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

it didnt

I literally said in my post that it would open big domestically. I'm talking about its legs with poor reception and its overseas showings so far, especially in China.

If this tops out at $215 million domestic and $600 million worldwide, that's a bad showing.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I literally said in my post that it would open big domestically. I'm talking about its legs with poor reception and its overseas showings so far, especially in China.

If this tops out at $215 million domestic and $600 million worldwide, that's a bad showing.

top 100 all time grossing movie would be a bad showing?

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

top 100 all time grossing movie would be a bad showing?

Ummm...yes. There's context to numbers, unless you think Justice League wasn't a bad showing. Also those number wouldn't be even close to a top 100 movie, either domestically or worldwide.

This one costs significantly more than the previous 2 Ant-Man movies and has a lot more riding on it considering the hype Disney and Feige put on this regarding phase 5 and the MCU going forward.

This isn't like the first 2 at all, where it's a tighter budget with lower expectations. It's still an Ant-Man movie, but if this can't outgross the previous one, then that's a big disappointment. Not to mention anything close to a 2x multiplier is a borderline embarrassment for a blockbuster, especially with lower openings.

It could obviously prove the doubters like me wrong based on the initial numbers and reception, but movies with bad critical AND audience reception don't typically have good legs.

Edited by seminoles1

The movie was fine. Considering how much it was hyped and how vital Feige said it was for Phase 5 and beyond, I wanted and expected more than fine.

Having said that, I don’t think they could’ve picked a better actor to lead the way of Phase 5 and 6 than Jonathan Majors. 

8 hours ago, Bullet Club said:
  Hide contents

You mean the variant we may never see again? When we were given more backstory in Loki? What did we learn that we didn't already know and that matters going forward?

Spoiler

There is actually a good theory gaining traction that he'll be back by Secret Wars even more powerful after spending all that time in that probability storm. As for Loki we learned more from the perspective of The One Who Remains, not Kang the Conqueror's perspective, and how dangerous he potentially is, and others are. I think they're doing a good job building up to Kang Dynasty + Secret Wars. Gonna be dope just you wait. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Hide contents

There is actually a good theory gaining traction that he'll be back by Secret Wars even more powerful after spending all that time in that probability storm. As for Loki we learned more from the perspective of The One Who Remains, not Kang the Conqueror's perspective, and how dangerous he potentially is, and others are. I think they're doing a good job building up to Kang Dynasty + Secret Wars. Gonna be dope just you wait. 

While I'm certainly open to that possibility, a theory is not an answer. If things change down the line, I will happily admit to being wrong. However, based on everything we know right now, what I said was correct.

3 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

While I'm certainly open to that possibility, a theory is not an answer. If things change down the line, I will happily admit to being wrong. However, based on everything we know right now, what I said was correct.

The narrative isn't complete yet, so we don't have all the information. Hmmm, so yeah I guess you'd be "correct" with that caveat. :)

Half of this film was a Kang exposition dump though. If one is invested or wants to be regarding the future of the MCU's next big bad "you miss on absolutely nothing" seems like a pretty disingenuous take. I'm sure for the causals in a future film they'll do a quick recap for those that didn't see Antman or Loki, which isn't anything new. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The narrative isn't complete yet, so we don't have all the information. Hmmm, so yeah I guess you'd be "correct" with that caveat. :)

Half of this film was a Kang exposition dump though. If one is invested or wants to be regarding the future of the MCU's next big bad "you miss on absolutely nothing" seems like a pretty disingenuous take. I'm sure for the causals in a future film they'll do a quick recap for those that didn't see Antman or Loki, which isn't anything new. 

It's not though. Coming right out of the movie you yourself only provided a theory as to what matters. The fact that both you and I don't know for certain if anything does is pretty sad. Especially when this was hyped as the most important movie since Endgame.

You're overstating the exposition dump too. You could explain all of it in one sentence. We are currently in the exact same spot as we were before the movie. Like I said, if I end up being wrong eventually I'll own it. We shouldn't have to wait for another movie to know if this one matters at all or not especially since it has our next big bad. The MCU no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt.