Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2/17/23)

Acgott

1 minute ago, August4th said:

more I think about this, the more it reminds me of rick and morty. You could easily swap ant-man and his family with Rick's family and not see much of a difference. The R&M writer they hired for this is also writing Kang dynasty.

The writing is terrible. It's not going to age well.

Hey um

So in Antman and The Wasp, in the post credits, they send Scott to the Quantum Realm to collect particles for Ghost. Janet is with them making this happen. 

In this movie, even mentioning the Quantum realm throws her into a panic and sending a signal down there is big uh oh. 

Wheres the disconnect? The throwaway line that "they couldnt go deep enough" before? 

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Hey um

So in Antman and The Wasp, in the post credits, they send Scott to the Quantum Realm to collect particles for Ghost. Janet is with them making this happen. 

In this movie, even mentioning the Quantum realm throws her into a panic and sending a signal down there is big uh oh. 

Wheres the disconnect? The throwaway line that "they couldnt go deep enough" before? 

Yeah didn’t really track, unless there’s some weird stuff with the end of Loki that changed things? I don’t think so but the rules are still sorta new. 

The Rama-Tut Easter eggs in Moon Knight could be interpreted as timeline changes I guess? Or just that it’s Intergral to the timeline? Not sure 

On 2/21/2023 at 3:20 PM, Deadpulse said:

Hey um

Yea pretty much this. In Antman 2, they were in the "upper layer" but now they went all the way down.

After sitting on it for a few days, here are my thoughts:

• The CGI was too CGI in that it was way too cartoon-ish at times. Some shots were fantastic though.
  • The humor was mostly bad. I get the jokes they were trying to make but a lot just didn't hit. The "don't be a ****" joke with MODOK on the bridge and then him saving them was terrible imo. It was way out of character for Darren and the joke line was not delivered well at all by Cassie. Just bad.
  • They did The Conqueror dirty. He should have escaped on his own or given him a clear win. Instead, he's in the place of infinite probabilities which I assume will play some part later. Hated the way he was "defeated".
  • Not sure why Cassie/Hank/Janet were so worried about Scott/Hope. It's not like they didn't just open up a portal between the two places. Do it again since Kang is supposedly defeated.
  • Were those glowy head creatures supposed to be walking infinity stones?
  • Just want to reiterate that I hate how they beat Kang. If Ant-Man and friends can easily handle him, then I don't see how he's allegedly killed so many Avengers.
  • Which reminds me, if the literal ants "lived thousands of years in a single moment" or whatever it was, why did no one else experience this since they all went through the exact same thing?

I'm extremely worried for Kang Dynasty at this point. I don't trust Jeff Loveness to write something worthy of it. Destin Daniel Cretton directing has me nervous as well; he's currently in pre-production on four different movies (American Born Chinese, Wonder Man, Kang Dynasty, and Shang-Chi 2).

I think I'd give it a 6.5/10

Edited by kingseanjohn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm extremely worried for Kang Dynasty at this point. I don't trust Jeff Loveness to write something worthy of it. Destin Daniel Cretton directing has me nervous as well; he's currently in pre-production on four different movies (American Born Chinese, Wonder Man, Kang Dynasty, and Shang-Chi 2).

The way things are going I feel like the inevitable bump back of the slate is coming.

It’s already happening a bit. I think they realized how hard it is to juggle just this much and are going to make more changes to the schedule.

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

The guy who wrote this is writing Kang Dynasty.

I expect that to change considering the nightmare box office performance, bad critical reception, and meh audience reception of this.

Do you have a vendetta against this movie?

The way its going itll probably end up middle of the MCU pack in terms of WW box office and likely the highest return of any of the Ant-man outings. Its not knock it out of the park but financially its still a single blooped over the 2B's head. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The way its going itll probably end up middle of the MCU pack in terms of WW box office and likely the highest return of any of the Ant-man outings. Its not knock it out of the park but financially its still a single blooped over the 2B's head. 

Don't have a vendetta against this movie, but the MCU right now a little bit.  They've been churning out meh product for years now and I want them to course-correct. I hate it had to be an Ant-Man movie. It's also fascinating to see the MCU deal with its first true failure and how they'll respond since they can't say COVID-19 held this one back like some others.

It'll barely pass the first Ant-Man domestically, won't pass Ant-Man and the Wasp domestically, and likely won't pass either of the first 2 worldwide. That's a disaster. The budget for the first 2 movies was $130 million. This budget was $200 million and had a lot more riding on it. It will not have the highest return of the Ant-Man movies.

Worldwide, the only movies this will pass:

The Incredible Hulk (Phase 1 origin story; $137 million budget)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Phase 1 origin story; $140 million budget)
Black Widow (COVID-19 release; $200 million budget)
Eternals (COVID-19 release; $200 million budget)
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (COVID-19 release; $150 million budget)
Thor (Phase 1 origin story; $150 million budget)

Not middle of the pack.  Bottom of the barrel.

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

It's virtually guaranteed to have the lowest return of the Ant-Man viewings. Might have the lowest box office, and has by far the biggest budget.