2023 Coaching Candidates

broncos_fan _from _uk

I get the reticence of hiring a “retread” but really there is NO way George/WP will go with another rookie HC when the last 4 - Mac, Vance, Vic, Hack - have fallen on their faces. 

The reality of the NFL, and the WP investment, and George’s need to not f***up the next hire, will dictate that they go safe and hire a solid if unspectacular retread, a la John Fox in 2011.

I could see Ron Rivera as a potential candidate if he decides to walk away/gets fired from that s***show that are the “Commanders.” I could see Frank Reich as well (with whom I could get on board). Does Dan Quinn even listen? Maybe. I wouldn’t if I was him. 

We thought we were coming out of purgatory but we were wrong. We have a diva QB who is getting absolutely killed locally, that hurts morale, not just the divas’ but the entire orgs’.

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I get the reticence of hiring a “retread” but really there is NO way George/WP will go with another rookie HC when the last 4 - Mac, Vance, Vic, Hack - have fallen on their faces. 

The reality of the NFL, and the WP investment, and George’s need to not f***up the next hire, will dictate that they go safe and hire a solid if unspectacular retread, a la John Fox in 2011.

I could see Ron Rivera as a potential candidate if he decides to walk away/gets fired from that s***show that are the “Commanders.” I could see Frank Reich as well (with whom I could get on board). Does Dan Quinn even listen? Maybe. I wouldn’t if I was him. 

We thought we were coming out of purgatory but we were wrong. We have a diva QB who is getting absolutely killed locally, that hurts morale, not just the divas’ but the entire orgs’.

Reich and Rivera would be awful choices.  Reich has really regressed massively after a successful 2018 - 2020 looks good in theory, but his game management and play-calling was roundly seen as unoriginal, and unable to adapt - he benefitted immensely by having a top 5 OL and a generational RB in Jonathan Taylor.    His game management decisions in crucial games was horrific.    Rivera, meanwhile - it looks increasingly more like having Cam Newton in his prime was the driver - because while WAS made the playoffs in 2019, ppl forget they were 7-9...and that was with a supremely talented D (with a front 4 that was insane for its talent).  Even though Chase Young got hurt in 2020, it's pretty clear the D has regressed bigtime in 2021-2, yet Rivera's loyalty to Jack Del Rio is eye-raising, to say the least.   
I agree Paton is less likely to go with an untested property, but man, those are two REALLY uninspired choices.    Quinn would look like an absolute star compared to those 2.  

2 names I'll bring up, one which seems like it's just an interim name - but I would point out has real potential, and another who would be a "new" guy, but has a record of success now in 2 different locations:

-Ejiro Evero - I know, he's our DC.   And yes, he's likely the interim guy when/if Hackett gets fired.    Frankly, I think if he gets the nod - we could see him turn things around well enough he gets the nod.   I would have no problem if he did find 2H success (at 2-5, and presumably 2-6 if Hackett were to be fired post-bye - not likely we'd make playoffs, but a 7-10 to 9-8 record would likely get the nod, given going 5-4 or better vs. the 2H would be very welcome). 

-Shane Steichen - the only strike is that he's not been a HC before.  But the reason he'll be sought after in a huge way - he's been the O designer and QB developer for BOTH Justin Herbert and now Jalen Hurts.   Ppl forget when Herbert came out, he was seen as toolsy, but still raw / underperforming - and Steichen turned it ALL around in his last year with the Chargers.    Herbert's problems with LAC's current scheme lie a lot with current OC Lombardi's trying to fit Herbert into his NO-Brees short-pass scheme.   Steichen used Herbert's tools and created a more aggressive, vertical game.    Then, he goes to PHI - and transforms the PHI struggling O with an even more raw Jalen Hurts, to the top O this year - and doing it with a mixture of power run, RPO-run, AJ Brown / Dallas Goedert (and a little Devonta Smith sprinkled in) pass attack.   He's basically turned Hurts from a very raw QB who was run-first, into a decent passer, with a great OL and diverse / original game plan.   The fact he was able to change 2 O's to the talents of 2 very different QB's, in the last 3 years, speaks to a flexibility and adaptability that likely makes him a top 3 coaching candidate.    

I realize Steichen doesn't fit the known property, but I'd highlight that much like Mike McDaniel & Kevin O'Connell & Brian Daboll, Steichen's success is likely both sustained enough (not just a 1-year wonder) and so impressive, he's going to be the hot name, but also deservedly so.  Steichen also gets the nod that Daboll does in from his BUF days in that he is clearly the top of the food chain for that team's O - where we've sadly come to realize that A-Rod and Matt Lafleur ran the GB O, and Hackett was just along for the ride (to be fair, the risk with McDaniel with Shanahan, and O'Connell with McVay, was possible too - but at least there, they were the #2, it's pretty clear Hackett mostly carried A-Rod & Lafleur's jockstraps).

Edited by Broncofan
Fixed thx UK

I’m more open to a retread who had success in his original spot but his time just kinda ran its course, than one who was an abject failure and was fired in 2-3 seasons. Dan Quinn fits that mould for me and so does Frank Reich (although I would shy away from the latter because I think it’s helpful for a coach to spend some time as a coordinator or even out of the game altogether between HC jobs to reflect on what went well and what didn’t. Reich jumping straight from one HC job to another would be a concern for me).

Morris maybe not but it’s been a long time since he was in Tampa so I could see myself getting on board with him. Ben McAdoo doesn’t even belong in the conversation IMO. 

40 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

What about Zimmer? He was decent in Minnesota for years but his message got a bit old at the end. Pre existing relationship with Paton. 

It's not really that he was bad and there were certainly other factors in play there...but there's also a reason they were largely unsuccessful for a long time for most of his years versus now where they are killing it. They kinda lived off Cook for the offense for a long time and admittedly Cousins is the epitome of feast or famine QB. I guess I could see him doing something similar here which is pretty parallel to what we are doing now, except Javonte is injured therefor it doesn't work. Wouldn't be excited

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’m assuming you mean Shane Steichen. His arrow is definitely pointing up but I don’t know if this team is in a position to hire someone who at seasons end will have a total of 40 games coordinator experience and barely a decade of total coaching experience to run the show. 

Yeah I don’t know Paton would go there either.  But if there’s a clear separator re: Daboll & Steichen from guys who have limited experience as OC - they were the guys in charge of the O.   Guys under non-O guru HC who let them run the show completely.   

It’s unlikely Paton goes there but I think OC’s who are completely in charge are far safer to project for HC success.   It also helps to see success in diff systems.     The take home on Hackett was he wasn’t the top dog (and worse probably wasn’t even 2nd in charge with A-Rod & Matt Lafleur) and it’s so clear he’s overwhelmed with being in charge.   The same could be said for McDaniel in SF previously - but he’s proven very capable so far.   It just highlights there’s more uncertainty when the OC’s aren’t in charge (and even more so if it’s just 1 year of success).    

I think it’s a long shot here but more about predicting OC-to-HC success.    And yes it’s Shane weird autocorrect lol.  

Edited by Broncofan

I like Steichen, don’t think they can hire a first time guy again. It’s time to clean up our whole operation in Dove Valley

What bugs me is we never get the young rising OC like Steichen even for a year or two. We get the worst of both worlds: the out of his depth first time HC + the experienced zero upside mediocrity of the Mike McCoys and Pat Shurmurs running the offense.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BroncoinGermany said:

Granted, I have not followed him at Michigan, but ...

• experienced rebuilder
  • authoritative enough to keep Wilson in line
  • run-first philosophy (at least back at San Fran)
  • not too expensive for the Waltons

Should Jim Harbaugh be the preferred replacement for Hackett?

Link: NFL.com

I think you make him say no.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I walk to Ann Arbor and carry Jim on my back to Denver for him to be our HC. 

I also certainly wouldn’t say no to David Shaw, someone myself and a few others around here, have long mentioned as an option. 

Right now I can't imagine any quality HC would want anything to do with this franchise.