Ravens Trade for Roquan Smith

baltimoreRebel

For the amount we've invested in defense over the years it really should be the kind of game-wrecking unit that actually elevates a team the way the 2019 Niners did, for example. Is Roquan going to do that for us? I just really doubt it. The standard needs to be higher than just 'thank god they're not choke artists' if this is the route we're going to take. 

Obviously better to add talent than not but part of me just feels like this is more of the same from the FO - good but not great moves with a steep opportunity cost attached to it. 

• Like 1

A 2nd+ is way too much for a rental, even if he does leave in FA and get us a 3rd Round Comp.

LB is the least impactful position on defense and the last place you'd want to drop a max contract. Guys like Ray Lewis, Kuechly, then a tier down into Fred Warner and Darius Leonard can be worth it... but it's still not a move I'm really comfortable with. Roquan is a talented player, but he's not some unicorn matchup piece like Warner and he isn't so special that he's on a HOF trajectory. 

Hard to complain about acquiring a 25 Y/O player Top 5 at his position, but this move does come with quite a few red flags. The Ravens allowed a combined 23 points to the Titans & Bills in the 2020 playoffs with a LB core of LJ Fort, Patrick Queen, Malik Harrison, and Chris Board- with less talent at Safety and across the defensive line. Investments of this caliber just aren't necessary imo.

Didn't think we'd swing some big move for a WR(figured they'd protest coming here similar to our situation in FA), but I was hoping for some help at CB. If Humphrey and/or Peters gets hurt we're screwed. 

• Like 1

Couple notes:

- Hopefully now we can stop screens......

- Not overly familiar with Roquan post draft but the Chicago fans and community seem to adore him. I hope he brings back that confident and serious defensive leadership we've been lacking. Guys like Marlon and Marcus W. are elite players but we need a true leader on that side of the ball- where all too often guys start showing bad and defeated body language when things don't go our way on one drive.

- Mike Macdonald should never have a job in the league again if he can't field a Top 5 defense with this group of players. We now have a name player at every defensive spot except NCB. No excuses. 

Wow that's a steep price, but having a true leader in the middle of the defense can be transformative. Hopefully he's worth it (and we sign him to an extension). 

I haven't voiced this complaint before, but I've noticed that this Ravens D does not really rally to the ball. A lot of guys just standing a waiting for their teammates to make the tackle. I hope having a great player in the middle will light a fire across the entire D. 

Thank God. It was nauseating watching the defense be completely soft across the middle and our LBs getting drug 2-3 yards after every run the last 3 years.

That sort of thing trickles down energy-wise to the rest of the defense. Having a dog in the middle again will surprise a lot of you with how much of a difference it will make.

• Like 1

Wow, was not expecting to wake up to the news we'd traded such high value draft picks for a player.

No doubt that Roquan is an upgrade over anything that we had at LB, but it'll be interesting to see what happens between his and Lamar's contract extensions.  Surely we already have some sort of deal worked out?

Also, I'm not sure why AFS is so worried about what this means for Queen - he's a below average player and its not worth worrying about what will happen to him in 1.5 years

• Like 2

I know the majority of the fan base wanted a receiver and will be disappointed we picked up a linebacker.  However, watching the team collapse several times this season has been a real heartbreaker.  And I'm not blaming the defense solely for those collapses, but the best way to protect a double digit lead is to run the ball and stop the opposing team from scoring.  Roquan Smith will help more in that regard than a receiver would, In my humble opinion.

• Like 1

Well I’m late to the barbecue.

I’m intrigued, but I honestly don’t know enough. I just know this should move Queen to more of a WLB role where he should thrive.

I hope Smith can bring leadership to the unit that gets them consistently fired up, that he brings great tackling, and can be at least adequate in coverage.

I sort of feel like this is a lot to spend, but if Smith can be that elite option, that’s what this defense has mainly been missing for years now.

Hey. I like this. 

To me the middle of the defense is still vastly important. Sometimes you can get away with a cheap platoon. Sometimes you can't. The idea of a player like Queen there instead of a somewhat more traditional LB was a good one. It just hasn't worked out. And I haven't really given up on Queen yet either. I just don't think his ideal role is as anything close to a roving piece over the middle. 

I mean the defense has looked so much better with guys like Bynes and Fort in that spot. Just imagine the upgrade now with Smith. It's hard to see this one being a L for the defense. There will be a lot of different players taking snaps in the next couple of weeks. Bowser, Smith, and Ojabo somewhat soon. Can't wait to see how this front seven shakes out with the defensive line already playing pretty well.

Macdonald has everything he needs. Well, except Williams. But eventually. 

• Like 1

Couple other stats mixed in here, but these advanced coverage figures are primarily why the FO would trade for him-

If he can be a defensive leader, one of like 3-5 LBs actually capable of playing consistently sound coverage against modern offenses, and remain productive in the other phases- we'll have added a very valuable piece to the defense. 

• Like 1