Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Johnston has the freakiest ankle flexion for a 6'4 receiver I have ever seen, and he's got eyes in the back of his head I swear. Never seen a player break more tackles with a spin with his back to the defender. 

I still have JSN a smidge higher, but that's a freaky, explosive dude there. Definitely different from Watson, but Johnston gains YAC like he's 5'10 170 at 6'4 210, I could see LaFleur drooling over that.

Go look at Cordarrelle Patterson highlights from his time at TN for crazy ankle flexion and athleticism.  6'2" vs 6'4"  Looked like Zay Flowers.   Can't believe that guy never panned out as a receiver

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Johnston has the freakiest ankle flexion for a 6'4 receiver I have ever seen, and he's got eyes in the back of his head I swear. Never seen a player break more tackles with a spin with his back to the defender. 

I still have JSN a smidge higher, but that's a freaky, explosive dude there. Definitely different from Watson, but Johnston gains YAC like he's 5'10 170 at 6'4 210, I could see LaFleur drooling over that.

I'll actually be surprised if the GB FO goes WR with the #1 pick. It's not been their.....custom...to snag WR that high and I suspect they'll be satisfied with last years investment - supplementing that with lower round talent. 

Thinking they'll think OT or EDGE with our #1.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'll actually be surprised if the GB FO goes WR with the #1 pick. It's not been their.....custom...to snag WR that high and I suspect they'll be satisfied with last years investment - supplementing that with lower round talent. 

I’m not expecting it…nor am I normally a big fan of it…but I am rooting for it for the comedy 

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I think I just have an aversion to drafting WR's in round 1 because we've done such a good job of getting really good ones in round 2 -3 and later. I think most here believe we hit on both Watson and Doubs last year. Time will tell. 

There will be really good WR in round 2 and 3 to grab. Might not be able to say the same about some other positions, although I maintain the second round of this draft is where the value is outside of Carter and Anderson.

Honestly, the only player I'd stay at #13 or #15 for is Carter, if he slides due to the accident and background check doesn't come out pretty clean. There is ZERO chance Anderson is there. 

The last WR I was truly pissed off we didn't take was Randy Moss. We took Vonnie Holiday instead. Vonnie was a steady, unspectacular player for us, but ......................

Edited by Old Guy

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I've watched a lot of Johnston's highlights tape.

What you pointed out, breaking tackles and spinning, well, that sticks out big time.  So does the straight line speed.  I also thought that he was pretty quick, like he got to that top end speed kind of fast.  At least he got it faster than I thought he would.

The hands concern me.  Didn't seem confident snatching the ball, look like he fought catching the ball enough of the time.  But, that can also be taught.

Watson is a different kind of fast than Johnston.  But Watson is different than most everyone in how quickly he can get to top end speed.

Only reason I like JSN better than Johnston?  More versatility.  Johnston is an X only to me.  That's it.  I feel like JSN can play every WR spot on the field.  Slot, boundary, doesn't matter.  And I think you can play a lot of offensive "games" with him doing different things.  Oh, and JSN run routes better and is going to win quicker than Johnston ever will.

I like both of them, like you, I have JSN higher.  But watching Doubs, Watson and Johnston get off of the bus at WR would be amazing.

Davante Adams scouting profile....

6'1'' 212 pounds.  Grade of 6.4.  Will become good starter within 2 years.  21'st WR at the combine in 2014 in the "athleticism score".

4.56 40.  39.5 vertical.  10'3'' broad.  6.82 3-cone.  4.3 20 yard shuttle.  14 bench.

Player Bio: A long-limbed, sure-handed possession receiver with starter-caliber, positional traits. Lacks top-end speed and strength. As a 21-year-old, third-year sophomore entering the draft early, is still growing into his body and developing core strength. A poor man's Michael Crabtree, Adams possesses very intriguing upside to be groomed.

Strengths
  • Has a rangy build with good body length and big hands to palm the ball and make difficult one-handed grabs
  • Tracks and adjusts to the ball very well downfield
  • Extends outside his frame and plucks the ball out of the air
  • Natural hands-catcher
  • Terrific athlete with good leaping ability and anticipation to properly time jumps and highpoint the ball
  • Wins jumpballs in the red zone and shows very good hand-eye coordination to take the ball away from defenders
  • Exceptional production
Weaknesses
  • Lacks ideal functional playing strength to consistently beat the jam and can get hung up at the line
  • Long strider and is not sudden out of his breaks
  • Production was inflated from a quick-hitting, lateral passing game

LOL.  Not sudden out of breaks.  Lacks strength to beat jam and can get hung up at the line.

"Poor man's Michael Crabtree".

Basically I wanted to get this out there to show that the 40 is not the end all be all to "win" as a WR in the NFL.  That 3-cone, vertical and broad jump has served 'Vante well.

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Agree, history says so.  Having a new QB may change that, but I'm thinking in no particular order.

Van Ness

Nolan Smith

OT

Edited by NFLGURU

An interesting question to answer going into the draft would be what level of trade interest is out there for Nijman. If the Packers find themselves with Paris or Broderick on the board at 13 or 15 and want to invest in a new RT for 2023 and future LT (both of them are only 21 years old), part of that equation could be then trading Nijman during the draft. Likely get a mid-round pick, plus avoid the $4m cap hit for this season. 

It's important to draft wrs high every few years. Gute ignored WR in the first two rounds his first 4 drafts while whiffing on multiple 3rd and 4th round wr/te.

Hit MVS for the round and to a lesser extent ESB after drafting a wr a round earlier. Two late round lotto tickets on big fast guys. 

A solid WR3 deep threat in MVS that we had no interest in bringing back isn't good enough. Not an enormous amount of draft capital but some pretty lackluster results.

I hate drafting RBs high, you'll never convince me a second round RB is good value. Confusing to say the least we'd draft a rb that high while the two studs we had on the team were both late picks. Please never again.

Deguara blew out his knee and has had some moments. He's also had some bad drops in playoff games. Jace being a high 3rd and out of the league a few seasons later says enough about the bust he was.

Follow Teds blueprint to wrs and continue taking them in the second round every few years. Doubs could be fine but he was not very good last year. I think he'll be solid number 3 by his 3rd year 

He's 1/1 for second round WRs, keep picking from the cream of the crop and get this kid some weapons! We've taken a first round ILB, you can't tell me JSN wouldn't have a bigger impact for us than our first rounders last year. 

I'm completely fine trading back or waiting until the second rounds to get WR/TE help if they feel strongly about the guys available at that point. I think Gute realizes we need to give Love more talent and he'll get a WR and TE before the start of round 3. 

3 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

It's important to draft wrs high every few years. Gute ignored WR in the first two rounds his first 4 drafts while whiffing on multiple 3rd and 4th round wr/te.

I've been saying this for awhile now. Hopefully Gute listens to us and keeps priming the pump.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

LOL.  Not sudden out of breaks.  Lacks strength to beat jam and can get hung up at the line.

"Poor man's Michael Crabtree".

Basically I wanted to get this out there to show that the 40 is not the end all be all to "win" as a WR in the NFL.  That 3-cone, vertical and broad jump has served 'Vante well.

Davante did kind of struggle early on, and has developed a ton since being drafted.  And you are mis-remembering Michael Crabtree at Texas Tech.  That guy was a game wrecker.  He was never as good in the pros.  And Adams turned out better.  But go back and watch Crabtree in college.  

I think that the real difference is that Adams worked his *** off to become a better route runner and all around player.  Adams isn't big, but he is big enough.  Adams isn't fast, but he is fast enough.  I don't know that he has anything physical that a guy like Crabtree, or many others don't.