Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

2 minutes ago, R T said:

He is amazing after the catch. Now do one with contested catches percentage and watch people hit the brakes.  

I don't value contested catch rate too highly on guys like QJ or Watson. How many DBs are running with them consistently? They separate. It's important, but it's not getting me to move them down the board. The hands for both of them are a bigger concern for me. QJ isn't quite at the drop rate Watson was, but it isn't stellar.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He looks it on the field for sure, too.

You know, I kinda had the same thought, but as I watch more of him this number actually tracks.  He's fast, but his big plays he generally is already in space, and is just able to keep the cushion rather than creating more.  You don't see him accelerate away from would-be tacklers after he gets the ball, he generally has to rely more on open field running ability at that point (which he has in spades).  This isn't to say he's slow; to be clear, dude has serious wheels, but in a straight footrace he's getting dusted by a guy like Christian Watson.

The thing I think that makes him look so fast is how sudden he is for a bigger receiver.  There's some filthy burst in his game for any receiver, forget just guys his size; I think what we're seeing is a guy who moves like he has a 41" vert, if you follow me.  I'm never really a 1st round receiver guy, but whooo boy the thought of QJ and Watson on the outside with an arm like Love's at QB is making me feel some kind of way I'll tell ya.  There's just very few guys with that kind of frame that can juke a guy in a phonebooth, and that's on top of his willingness to go get it downfield.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

You know, I kinda had the same thought, but as I watch more of him this number actually tracks.  He's fast, but his big plays he generally is already in space, and is just able to keep the cushion rather than creating more.  You don't see him accelerate away from would-be tacklers after he gets the ball, he generally has to rely more on open field running ability at that point (which he has in spades).  This isn't to say he's slow; to be clear, dude has serious wheels, but in a straight footrace he's getting dusted by a guy like Christian Watson.

The thing I think that makes him look so fast is how sudden he is for a bigger receiver.  There's some filthy burst in his game for any receiver, forget just guys his size; I think what we're seeing is a guy who moves like he has a 41" vert, if you follow me.  I'm never really a 1st round receiver guy, but whooo boy the thought of QJ and Watson on the outside with an arm like Love's at QB is making me feel some kind of way I'll tell ya.  There's just very few guys with that kind of frame that can juke a guy in a phonebooth, and that's on top of his willingness to go get it downfield.

Agreed with this. I've been kinda anti-WR lately, but you can't argue that the league values them more than every other position except QB and EDGE currently. And QJ stands alone in the first probably 3 rounds of this draft for a skilled HWS guy. 

Would be very very happy to land him at 15 if the top EDGE guys are gone.

@Packerraymond had a good observation about QJ seeming to have eyes in the back of his head. No wasted steps. So he looks every bit of his timed speed (and more) while playing. 

He, Watson and Doubs would be an absolute dynamite trio for Jordan to grow with. 

It's gonna come down to QJ/EDGE/OT if we stay at 15 I think.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Combine effed up not having this guy there. Has our thresholds in spades to be a guy we look at in the 3-4 round and has some nasty tape.

He also missed the covid season and two season due to injury and was born in 1987.