Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not saying it's a red flag, but why is he playing RT instead of LT?

Probably not the biggest red flag to be concerned about. The guy has 30-visits scheduled with 20 teams. He either has a medical red flag that teams want to take another look at or he has an off the field red flag that teams are trying to get comfortable with by hearing things straight from the horse's mouth. Something is amiss in Rocky Top. 

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Generally speaking, you put your bests pass protector on your QB's blindside.  It seems odd that if Wright was their best OL, they'd want him at LT not RT.

You're seeing less and less of that and more of "we need our 5 best out there." Wright can and did play RT at a high level, it sounds like their other tackle options had only ever played on the left side. If you're more confident in your backup LT than your backup RT, you get your best 5 out there. Blindside stuff is kind of dead with so much shotgun anyway.

• Like 3

Just now, CWood21 said:

Generally speaking, you put your bests pass protector on your QB's blindside.  It seems odd that if Wright was their best OL, they'd want him at LT not RT.

Coaching staffs can get hung up about who's played where. They had a log-jam of players behind Wright that only played on the blind side, and as we saw with Yosh, there can be some growing pains shifting around like that. Seems like to them, Wright was the better guy to shift around thanks to his prior experience and his relative skills, which could hurt his draft value but apparently gave Tennessee better chances of victory.

As for the guys who did play at LT, I doubt very much that they were scrubs at the Collegiate level.

1 hour ago, Zycho32 said:

...outside of QB and the OL, I don't think Games Started means much anymore. The better question would be what percentage of snaps would Kincaid see on offense?

Case in point, the snap percentages of the TE we used last year;
Tonyan: 3 GS, 591 Snaps, 54%
Deguara: 3 GS, 258 Snaps, 24%
Lewis: 17 GS, 451 Snaps, 41%
Davis: 1 GS, 174 Snaps, 16%

That's why I like Washington, I can see him being on the field a lot, as a 6th Oline in the run game and safety outlet in the passing game. For me I love his blocking and I'm not sure if we draft an OT in the 1st/2nd he gets on the field with Bakh, Nijam, Tom ahead of him. Washington will get on the field and plenty I feel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leader said:

I know jack **** about Smith...but a question that came to me while reading along was if he could be pushed around at the next level. Apparently he's got speed and toughness in spades....but it concerns me if that can be negated by an inability to get past (or off) blockers.

From what I have heard he is an amzaing techincan, hand usage, angles etc. I would love to have his attirude for this defence.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Would you give Gute a pass for drafting with the future in mind this season, if it led to a worse record and possibly little first year impact?

It would depend on the development of the 2022 class along with the promise of the 2023 class.

It also depends on the return in the trade od AR.  If we get close to nothing for Rodgers, then he may already too far gone. I really have a hard time with keeping AR last year and giving him the horrible contract that put us in the current position.  

If he doubles down with a bunch of win now moves that only get us to .500 but don't help the franchise in the long run why wouldn't every Packer fan want to move on?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:09 AM, Sandy said:

After watching a bunch of the top WRs, here's my rankings:

1. JSN - best WR in the draft. Will not bust.

2. Quenton Johnson - draws you in with H/W/S, but you stay for the short area agility and open field ability to make people miss. Deep ball tracking is on point.

3. Zay Flowers - he's the best of the little guys and it's not even close. He's going to be a star, no question about it.

4. Jalyn Hyatt - every single play he is noticably the fastest player on the field. Great deep tracking skills. Surprisingly natural pass catcher.

5. Jonathan Mingo - every play he seems to do something amazing. Might end up higher on this list. Take him in the late second if you want him. 

6. Bryce Ford-Wheaton - his quarterback play was god-awful, yet he could still use his incredible athletic ability to come back to the under thrown balls and wrestle it away from often multiple defenders.  He's going to be a stud.

On 4/8/2023 at 12:09 AM, Sandy said:

7. Xavier Hutchison - smooth athlete on the field. Seems to have a knack for getting open.

8. Dontravyous Wicks - imposing yet smooth athlete who is a natural hands catcher that could be a steal late in the draft.

9. Jadon Haselwood - holy **** I did not expect this. His combine numbers do not do him justice. This is a quick, elusive receiver who has excellent body control. Shoulder lean for days. Makes defenders miss on every play. Great size too. He's going to be a steal for someone.

10. Rashee Rice - looks smooth as well. Not sure why his draft stock is slipping, he was better than I thought he would be.

11. Cedric Tillman - gives me James Jones vibes in a good way. Looks large on the field and uses that size.

12. AT Perry - this guy looks even bigger. A bit lumbering but he can cut and move fairly effortlessly. 

13. Nathaniel Dell - tiny dude but fun to watch! He's so shifty and slippery that he piles up YAC.ww won't draft him for his size, but he'll be a solid NFL player.

14. Andrei Iosivas - for such a combine warrior, he seems slower on the field than he should be. Not a natural pass catcher. But lots of potential.

15. Matt Landers - another combine warrior, in about five minutes of "highlights" I didn't see him break one tackle or evade one defender. Seems off-balance frequently. That said, he does churn yards upfield and his athleticism was a noticable step up from anyone else on the field.

16. Josh Downs - a move-the-chains slot guy who's most notable trait on film is his quick burst off the LOS. I wasn't very impressed.

17. Marvin Mims Jr - the definition of "meh".

18. Jordan Addison - looks even smaller on the field than he is. Struggled to create separation. If I'm watching a "highlight" reel and feel underwhelmed it's not a good sign for you. 

Worked in Bryce Ford Wheaton, Matt Landers and Jadon Haselwood 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

It would depend on the development of the 2022 class along with the promise of the 2023 class.

It also depends on the return in the trade od AR.  If we get close to nothing for Rodgers, then he may already too far gone. I really have a hard time with keeping AR last year and giving him the horrible contract that put us in the current position.  

If he doubles down with a bunch of win now moves that only get us to .500 but don't help the franchise in the long run why wouldn't every Packer fan want to move on?

I was mostly just messing with you. 

To me, Gute's fate is tied to Love.  It is really as simple as that.  

18 minutes ago, Sandy said:

9. Jadon Haselwood - holy **** I did not expect this. His combine numbers do not do him justice. This is a quick, elusive receiver who has excellent body control. Shoulder lean for days. Makes defenders miss on every play. Great size too. He's going to be a steal for someone.

I really like Haselwood.  He re-ran his 40 at his pro-day and got 4.47 and 4.56 vs the 4.66 from the combine.  I kind of believe the middle.  A couple of scouting reports said he can't block.  I just watched his game against Texas from 2021, and I have no idea what they were talking about.  He had two key blocks, and while he won't confuse anyone with Allen Lazard, he blocked just fine for a WR.  And nothing that would say that he couldn't turn into an MVS type of blocker given a couple of years in the league.  

OU vs Texas 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwwBCDj3-I&ab_channel=EquableRogue

Now, this isn't the answer to the WR room.  But I think he can be well worth a 6th or 7th round pick, while a lot of sites have him going undrafted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I really like Haselwood.  He re-ran his 40 at his pro-day and got 4.47 and 4.56 vs the 4.66 from the combine.  I kind of believe the middle.  A couple of scouting reports said he can't block.  I just watched his game against Texas from 2021, and I have no idea what they were talking about.  He had two key blocks, and while he won't confuse anyone with Allen Lazard, he blocked just fine for a WR.  And nothing that would say that he couldn't turn into an MVS type of blocker given a couple of years in the league.  

OU vs Texas 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GwwBCDj3-I&ab_channel=EquableRogue

Now, this isn't the answer to the WR room.  But I think he can be well worth a 6th or 7th round pick, while a lot of sites have him going undrafted.

I see us drafting at least two WRs and wouldn't be mad with him in the 4th. His tape was very, very good.