Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

5 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Fair point. More so just moving up to get their guy. They like trading up with us with great return for us. The mock simulator sends the trade to me. Could be a nice option if the guys board is shot

You are right about Mickey Loomis and the Saints trading up, there is some history there. They traded up for a non-QB before, maybe someone slips to 15 they have a top 10 grade on and they get aggressive again. Always a chance. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R T said:

I've brought this up before and it was ignored, but does any one question why Wright is going to have over twenty 30-visits before the draft? There are 3 reasons why teams bring players in for 30-visits and none of them is to announce to the world they really like that player and would like to draft them. There is either a medical issue, a character issue or for players that are borderline draftable it is a recruitment visit. Teams are scrambling to get a handle on something with Wright before draft, he more than likely is not a clean prospect. 

I haven't heard anything about him, myself.  But the only guy I have heard something about is Jalen Carter, and I don't think I am overstepping by assuming that there are other guys with character concerns.  I do suspect that it is a little more innocent.  Even the draft sites have a big range of rankings for Wright, it isn't beyond reason to think teams also have a wide range where they think he could be taken.  If we think he may be our guy at 15, but the Chiefs also think he may be their guy at 31, teams may want to get an up close look.  

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t really care what anyone thinks of JSN. But he’s not “little”. He’s taller than Greg Jennings and the same weight. He’s not big either, but he’s not little.

How high is up? In MLF's mind tall is 6'3" and up. 

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I haven't heard anything about him, myself.  But the only guy I have heard something about is Jalen Carter, and I don't think I am overstepping by assuming that there are other guys with character concerns.  I do suspect that it is a little more innocent.  Even the draft sites have a big range of rankings for Wright, it isn't beyond reason to think teams also have a wide range where they think he could be taken.  If we think he may be our guy at 15, but the Chiefs also think he may be their guy at 31, teams may want to get an up close look.  

Just pointing out that is a lot of visits, whether it is the 20 that NFL Trade Rumors reported or the 14 that SI reported per Raymond. Usually medical or character questions, doubt the Packers would ever leak any information on it though. 

JSN is such a tough dilemma. I'm not sure he's worthy of the 15th pick but the impact on the team would be immense. The lack of depth and talent this year at WR also complicates the issue.

I also don't know who I'd rather have in the slot- JSN or the 6'4" 250 lbs slightly slower slot who's name rhymes with Walton Sinsayd. 

Always Sunny Charlie GIF

In the draft before Rodgers became the starter TT drafted a WR with his 1st selection. History has been repeating itself a bit lately, does Gutes also pick a WR with his 1st selection in the draft before Love becomes a starter? More history from that draft, TT also drafted a QB in the second round that year. Does Gutes take a QB in the second round this year? 

34 minutes ago, Chili said:

Remind me, why was the Jordy Nelson pick booed?

I remember liking the pick when it was made because I loved the way he roasted Aqib Talib in his college highlights.

Hmmm...don't recall. Packers had Driver, Jennings and James Jones, so WR likely wasn't seen as a big need. Maybe people booing were clamoring for Brian Brohm?🤨

On 4/15/2023 at 7:56 PM, beekay414 said:

Absolutely outside the JSN talk here...wanna compare Watson with Wilson and Olave.

Watson: 66 targets, 41 receptions, 611 yards, 7 TD
Wilson: 147 targets, 83 receptions, 1103 yards, 4 TD
Olave: 119 targets, 72 receptions, 1042 yards, 4 TD

Watson was incredible when targeted. 

Watson is a bum.  Dude hasn't even cracked 650 yards in the NFL yet and all the talk is about how great he is. (green)

12 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

JSN is such a tough dilemma. I'm not sure he's worthy of the 15th pick but the impact on the team would be immense. The lack of depth and talent this year at WR also complicates the issue.

I also don't know who I'd rather have in the slot- JSN or the 6'4" 250 lbs slightly slower slot who's name rhymes with Walton Sinsayd. 

Always Sunny Charlie GIF

I feel like if you take a WR that high, they need to be H/W/S prospects with multiple elite traits.

And to me?  That isn't JSN.

But...for what GB needs in the passing game, he's just what GB needs.  Someone to get open quickly, underneath, and move the chains.  Watson and Doubs can work deep and intermediate.  

So for our needs?  JSN all day long.

And if not him, the other one that works nicely is that Walton Dincade guy.  Those are the two best receiving weapons GB could grab for what they need.

In the end, I'm prepared for GB to pass on both of them, maybe even multiple times.

• Like 1

Bill Huber / SI:  Players who drop passes in college come with an instant buyer-beware tag.

“Let me tell you something,” the scout said. “It’s not easier to catch the football in the NFL. The ball is bigger, the quarterbacks throw it harder and the defensive backs are better"

Here are the top 20 receivers from NFL.com’s draft rankings and their drop percentages from PFF.

Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee: 6.9 percent.

Zay Flowers, Boston College: 10.3 percent.

Josh Downs, North Carolina: 3.1 percent.

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State: 5.9 percent in 2021.

Quentin Johnston, TCU: 11.8 percent.

Cedric Tillman, Tennessee: 5.1 percent.

Jordan Addison, USC: 3.3 percent, a huge improvement over 9.9 percent during his Biletnikoff Award-winning 2021 at Pittsburgh.

Tyler Scott, Cincinnati: 11.3 percent.

Tank Dell, Houston: 7.7 percent.

Marvin Mims, Oklahoma: 6.9 percent.

Jonathan Mingo, Mississippi: 7.3 percent.

A.T. Perry, Wake Forest: 9.0 percent.

Elijah Higgins, Stanford: 6.3 percent.

Charlie Jones, Purdue: 2.7 percent.

C.J. Johnson, East Carolina: 4.3 percent.

Justin Shorter, Florida: 0.0 percent. (Shorter was one of three players without a drop.)

Tre Tucker, Cincinnati: 10.2 percent.

Kayshon Boutte, LSU: 12.7 percent.

Michael Wilson, Stanford: 12.9 percent.

Rashee Rice SMU: 8.6 percent.

Gutekunst drafted three receivers in last year’s draft, three receivers in his first draft and seven overall. They’re obviously small sample sizes but it appears Gutekunst took the ability to catch passes to heart last year.

Christian Watson: 8.5 percent in 2021; 12.6 percent for career.Lost amid Watson’s off-the-charts testing numbers: Enormous 10 1/8-inch hands. So, there was no physical reason why Watson dropped too many passes at North Dakota State. As a rookie, Watson had 22 catches and five drops in his first nine games, then 19 catches and zero drops in his last five games.

Romeo Doubs: 4.8 percent in 2021; 5.8 percent for career.
Doubs had 10-inch hands, which he put to good use at Nevada.

Samori Toure: 4.2 percent in one year at Nebraska.
The seventh-round pick had 9 3/8-inch hands. For reference, the smallest of the Ted Thompson- Gutekunst era was 9 inches.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber / SI:  Players who drop passes in college come with an instant buyer-beware tag.

“Let me tell you something,” the scout said. “It’s not easier to catch the football in the NFL. The ball is bigger, the quarterbacks throw it harder and the defensive backs are better"

Here are the top 20 receivers from NFL.com’s draft rankings and their drop percentages from PFF.

Jordan Addison, USC: 3.3 percent, a huge improvement over 9.9 percent during his Biletnikoff Award-winning 2021 at Pittsburgh.

Justin Shorter, Florida: 0.0 percent. (Shorter was one of three players without a drop.)

Gutekunst drafted three receivers in last year’s draft, three receivers in his first draft and seven overall. They’re obviously small sample sizes but it appears Gutekunst took the ability to catch passes to heart last year.

Christian Watson: 8.5 percent in 2021; 12.6 percent for career.Lost amid Watson’s off-the-charts testing numbers: Enormous 10 1/8-inch hands. So, there was no physical reason why Watson dropped too many passes at North Dakota State. As a rookie, Watson had 22 catches and five drops in his first nine games, then 19 catches and zero drops in his last five games.

The seventh-round pick had 9 3/8-inch hands. For reference, the smallest of the Ted Thompson- Gutekunst era was 9 inches.

Good data

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

I like Charlie Jones from Purdue even more!!!

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like if you take a WR that high, they need to be H/W/S prospects with multiple elite traits.

And to me?  That isn't JSN.

But...for what GB needs in the passing game, he's just what GB needs.  Someone to get open quickly, underneath, and move the chains.  Watson and Doubs can work deep and intermediate.  

So for our needs?  JSN all day long.

And if not him, the other one that works nicely is that Walton Dincade guy.  Those are the two best receiving weapons GB could grab for what they need.

In the end, I'm prepared for GB to pass on both of them, maybe even multiple times.

In my opinion, the only pass catcher worthy of a first round selection in this draft class is JSN.  And even then, I am not over the moon in love with him.  Just because we NEED pass catchers doesn't really justify reaching to take one.  If the season started before the draft, you would see production from the guys that we have, more targets -> more production.  Are we going to get the most efficient production from Nick Guggemos and Jeff Cotton? Probably not.  But, they will get yards, and probably TDs, if they get enough targets.  

So, is Jalin Hyatt better than Jeff Cotton?  Most likely.  But are we willing to skip out on say LVN or Darnell Wright for Hyatt? I am not.  

• Like 1