Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

42 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Not going to lie, I thought the draft started tonight.  Up until like 15 minutes ago.  I was so pumped.  

oh well.

LOL @ me 

🤣🤣🤣

I thought it was draft week until late Tuesday lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sell me on Tillman over Rice

I soured on Rice mostly because he is not as big as reported early on.  When I watch him, I see slower, not as good Romeo Doubs.  And I expected more, especially given the competition.  

Tillman has a couple of things going for him.  He is legit 6'3, his father played in the NFL, and he put up huge games against the best competition.  He was injured as a senior, but put up 150 against Alabama, and 200 against Georgia, as a junior.  

It is mostly personal preference.  I also see more of a role for Tillman as kind of a mix of Allen Lazard and Geronimo Allison (who I also was high on); whereas, again, I think Rice is a lot like Doubs, just not as good.  I wouldn't break my TV or anything if the Packers preferred Rice.  I think both have the chance to be decent role players.  

[edit] I prefer AT Perry over both of them.  I think he is supposed to go in that range too.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I soured on Rice mostly because he is not as big as reported early on.  When I watch him, I see slower, not as good Romeo Doubs.  And I expected more, especially given the competition.  

Tillman has a couple of things going for him.  He is legit 6'3, his father played in the NFL, and he put up huge games against the best competition.  He was injured as a senior, but put up 150 against Alabama, and 200 against Georgia, as a junior.  

It is mostly personal preference.  I also see more of a role for Tillman as kind of a mix of Allen Lazard and Geronimo Allison (who I also was high on); whereas, again, I think Rice is a lot like Doubs, just not as good.  I wouldn't break my TV or anything if the Packers preferred Rice.  I think both have the chance to be decent role players.  

[edit] I prefer AT Perry over both of them.  I think he is supposed to go in that range too.

Thanks for the reply.  

regarding Rice... I am not concerned with the smaller than reported size profile.  I agree he is not a burner, but I do see enough suddenness to separate and he does have some pretty solid explosion numbers that suggest he has that ability in his physical profile.  I think his college production is as good or better than Tillman.  you can knock the competition but then Tillman was playing opposite another NFL level WR and with a QB that (prior to injury) might have been a first round pick... still might be.  

GB tends to like WR that have early college success and production and I have Rice getting an edge there over Tillman.  I see Rice as a better natural hands catcher from the clips that I watched

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He was playing with a high ankle sprain in 2022. He was a first rounder in 2021. He's got plucky hands and a really nice HWS combination. 

Good breakdown here:

https://youtu.be/M0myc78aYUA

thanks for posting that.   Seemed like he was good when having a free release, but nothing special when the CB was playing more press/rolled up coverage.  the HWS seems ok but nothing that really stands out

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

He's not. Mayer is a more complete prospect and he's 3 years younger than Schoonmaker. There's no world where Luke is a better prospect. 

I wanted to like Mayer but after watching him I wouldn't take him until the late third. Great route running. Good hands. But he's limited athletically. He looks like an Austin Hooper or a Hayden Hurst. I wouldn't use an early pick on that.

Schoonmaker is a natural pass catcher and route runner. Tracks the ball well in the air. His athleticism is obvious. I'd take a shot at his upside before I'd go for Mayer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

I wanted to like Mayer but after watching him I wouldn't take him until the late third. Great route running. Good hands. But he's limited athletically. He looks like an Austin Hooper or a Hayden Hurst. I wouldn't use an early pick on that.

Schoonmaker is a natural pass catcher and route runner. Tracks the ball well in the air. His athleticism is obvious. I'd take a shot at his upside before I'd go for Mayer.

Michael Mayer is going to be a very serviceable TE in the league for 10 years. He's never going to live up to what is expected of him if you grab him in the top 20. 

I'm a Sam LaPorta guy from TE U in late 2 to early 3. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I'm a Sam LaPorta guy from TE U in late 2 to early 3. 

Are you not concerned by his tiny catch radius. Everything he catches is close to his chest, i'm not seeing him regularly reaching out to snag the ball.

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Gimmick infringement.

But in what was supposed to be a good football movie, didn't the celebrated GM pass on the franchise QB in favor of an ILB and a RB???

Sounds like a horrible draft in the first.

Consumers of fiction need to have a handshake agreement with the author that their willingness to suspend disbelief won’t be abused.

Draft Day had all the makings of a sports movie honorable mention. But the draft pick negotiations defied reason, tradition, common sense, gravity, physics, and Sun Tzu.

• Like 1