Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Gute is going to ride it out with Rodgers in Green Bay another year

His job is one the line if he gets rid of Rodgers and Love fails.

If Rodgers walks away after next year, you hand it over to Love for 2024, it softens the blow on Gute making a cutthroat decision on QB right now.

With Murphy retiring in two years I'd be pretty shocked if he fired Gute after next season. Making that big of a move knowing you have one season left kind of puts your successor in an awkward situation. The new guy (likely Policy) is either stuck with a guy he didn't pick to start or stuck firing a guy with a one year resume as his first move. Neither of those seems ideal.

20 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

With Murphy retiring in two years I'd be pretty shocked if he fired Gute after next season. Making that big of a move knowing you have one season left kind of puts your successor in an awkward situation. The new guy (likely Policy) is either stuck with a guy he didn't pick to start or stuck firing a guy with a one year resume as his first move. Neither of those seems ideal.

Unless Murph makes the decision with Policy/other successor's input

Edit: but yeah you're probably right. And either way Gute has done enough to have a two-year leash

Edited by Sandy

16 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That was the line of thinking for last year. It doesn't work this year. You can't string Love along for another year unless you pay his 5th year option. That would stupid without seeing him play a full year. The time to move Rodgers is right now and Gute is in a perfect position to do it after Rodgers' down year compared to 2021 and 2022. 

I really want to disagree with his post.  But I cannot.  The only thing I can counter with is....Aaron Rodgers sentiment.

The right thing to do, as a franchise long term, is move Rodgers now.  Get what you can and start the process of getting out from under his contract.  Play Love and see what you have.

I still would be fine with Rodgers coming back, because I'd love it if he would play for one organization his entire career.  I also know that we don't win in the post season with Rodgers any longer. 

I just get this feeling, kindda like climbing the rope in gym class, that Love is going to exceed expectations. 

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Apparently a good year to need a TE?

The free agent class is pretty good, too.

Last time I checked Spotrac, they had Tonyan's projection at 1 year, 4.5M.  Which is a tick more than Hayden Hurst.

No issue with either guy at that number breaking in a rookie draft pick.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Darnell Washington is my early draft crush.  He is a giant, and we need a TE.  It is so simple.  I don't care about value, especially when the season isn't even over yet.  

Admittedly, I know nothing of Washington.

But...we signed a giant already, right?  If I'm taking a tight end in the top 50 or top 2 rounds, he needs to be a sub 4.55 40.  With an all around skill set.  Movement, blocking, route running, hands.  And we know it will take a few years for the kid to do much in the NFL.

Since Washington is your draft crush...I assume that you've watched some tape on him.  How does his movement looks?  Lumbering or smooth?  Does he have NFL speed?  I'm sincerely curious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Admittedly, I know nothing of Washington.

But...we signed a giant already, right?  If I'm taking a tight end in the top 50 or top 2 rounds, he needs to be a sub 4.55 40.  With an all around skill set.  Movement, blocking, route running, hands.  And we know it will take a few years for the kid to do much in the NFL.

Since Washington is your draft crush...I assume that you've watched some tape on him.  How does his movement looks?  Lumbering or smooth?  Does he have NFL speed?  I'm sincerely curious.

Even Travis Kelce looks lumbering on tape, but it works. You just look lumbering being 6'7 270 on the field running around 6'1 190 DBs. Washington is a smooth athlete for his size, but he's not Kelce or Gronk. His best comp is the young version of the guy on our team, Big Dog. Lewis has 3 500+ yard seasons in 17 years. I see Washington as a similar player. 400 yards a season and one of the best run blockers in the league at his position. You get that for a decade and it's surely worth pick 45, I wouldn't touch him with pick 15 though. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Even Travis Kelce looks lumbering on tape, but it works. You just look lumbering being 6'7 270 on the field running around 6'1 190 DBs. Washington is a smooth athlete for his size, but he's not Kelce or Gronk. His best comp is the young version of the guy on our team, Big Dog. Lewis has 3 500+ yard seasons in 17 years. I see Washington as a similar player. 400 yards a season and one of the best run blockers in the league at his position. You get that for a decade and it's surely worth pick 45, I wouldn't touch him with pick 15 though. 

Any clue what he is going to run in the 40?

BTW....Kelce is just amazing.  I've known he was very, very good for a long time.  But, I didn't realize his total dominance until I looked at his career stats.  Damn.  And we took Eddie Lacy 2 picks ahead of him.  And I was excited for that!