Remainder of the Season QB

Ghostnote

Commander QB  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB should finish the rest of the 2022 season?

• Tyler Heinicke
    • Carson Wentz
    • Sam Howell

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think the second tier qb market is very misunderstood.  It is particularly misunderstood at washington because rivera spent so much money on a below average qb.  Just because Rivera decided to overspend doesn't mean he had to.  Here are some QB contracts from 2022:

Winston- 2022 4m, 2023 11M, 8M
Mariota- 2022 4M, 2023 14.5M or exit for 6M cap hit
Trubisky- 2022 5M, 2023 10.6M or exit for cap hit of 2.6M
Tyrod Taylor- 2022 5M, 2023 10.6M or exit for 2.6 cap hit
Colt McCoy- 2022 6M, 2023 5M or exit for cap hit of 3.5M
Foles- 2022 4M, 2023 3.6 or exit for cap hit of 1.5M
Brissett- 2022 4.6M
Geno Smith- 2022 3.5M

No I would happily pay Heinicke any of these contracts to be a backup.  Ironically, I would have happily paid any of these quarterbacks these contracts instead of Wentz.  Imagine if we had Brissett and >20 million of cap space to play with.

Geno has been incredible for Seattle . Honestly didn't see that one coming .

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I agree.  They gave him a functional offense and haven't asked too mcuh of him and he has been really successful.  I think Mariota is pretty average but he has still kept the Falcons in games.  Brissett has also been decent.  I forgot Dalton, he is 3M and has kept them in games as well.  

But really anyone on this list would have given us similar results to Wentz at a 1/6th of the cost.

19 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I agree.  They gave him a functional offense and haven't asked too mcuh of him and he has been really successful.  I think Mariota is pretty average but he has still kept the Falcons in games.  Brissett has also been decent.  I forgot Dalton, he is 3M and has kept them in games as well.  

But really anyone on this list would have given us similar results to Wentz at a 1/6th of the cost.

I’ll give you Andy Dalton & Wentz have been basically identical. The rest of the FA QBs we could’ve gotten, not so sure. Mariota hasn’t been good passing, the Falcons have a great running game in part bc of him as well. Brissett has arguably the best RB tandem in the NFL. We don’t have that.  Trubisky was benched for Kenny Pickett he was so ineffective.

It’s true we’re overpaying for what Wentz was giving us, it’s also true that he was playing better than outside of Andy Dalton, he was playing better than the FA QBs available.

Signing Andy Dalton should’ve been the move rather than trading for Wentz.

44 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I think it shows how great DJ Metcalf, Tyler Lockett & Noah Fant have been as well as Keneth Walker who I wish we had gotten to take or taken in round 2 & hoped Phil Mathis was there in round 3 instead of taking BRob who’s not very explosive in round 3.

Look, Geno has been great but it shouldn’t be lost on anyone that Russ was great in Seattle as a passer throwing to Metcalf & Lockett. As is Geno. Russ goes to Denv & has struggled to find the same consistency in the passing game. A lot of that has to do with the receivers that are in Seattle & now they have Fant at TE from the Russ/Broncos trade as well.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I think the second tier qb market is very misunderstood.  It is particularly misunderstood at washington because rivera spent so much money on a below average qb.  Just because Rivera decided to overspend doesn't mean he had to.  Here are some QB contracts from 2022:

Brissett- 2022 4.6M
Geno Smith- 2022 3.5M

No I would happily pay Heinicke any of these contracts to be a backup.  Ironically, I would have happily paid any of these quarterbacks these contracts instead of Wentz.  Imagine if we had Brissett and >20 million of cap space to play with.

i agree with you 😎

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

Brissett- 2022 4.6M
Geno Smith- 2022 3.5M

Yep & it is what most of us wanted to do unless we could’ve traded for Rodgers or Russ (thankfully we didn’t do that).

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Snap Count Tracker:

59.94% Wentz

40.06% Heinicke

Rivera sure sounded like a guy that was willing to stick with the "hot hand" in his press call. Until he declares Heinicke the starter the rest of the way, he is leaving the door open for Wentz to cost us a 2nd round pick. 

32 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Rivera sure sounded like a guy that was willing to stick with the "hot hand" in his press call. Until he declares Heinicke the starter the rest of the way, he is leaving the door open for Wentz to cost us a 2nd round pick. 

I think the injury gives him a chance to slow play Wentz back too to make sure. I thought we had two more games until the bye, which to me would help make the decision super easy, but it's three. Either way, I don't expect Wentz to be rushed back this week, on a short one, with no real practice. 

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the injury gives him a chance to slow play Wentz back too to make sure. I thought we had two more games until the bye, which to me would help make the decision super easy, but it's three. Either way, I don't expect Wentz to be rushed back this week, on a short one, with no real practice. 

I think the players will revolt if he starts Wentz ! Our leader #17 loves Heiny .. 

Just read R R said whomever he picks is for the rest of the way and you have to consider momentum and the mood of team . Sounds like it's Taylor Heinicke  to me ..

Edited by RSkinGM

If they beat the Texans and Heinecke goes to 4-1 as a starter and was basically 5 minutes and one bad pass away from 5-0 as a starter I just have no idea how you could possibly justify pulling him? Like what would be the reason? Because Wentz is being paid more and can throw farther? What good conceivable reason could they possibly come up with to bench Taylor at this point?

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If they beat the Texans and Heinecke goes to 4-1 as a starter and was basically 5 minutes and one bad pass away from 5-0 as a starter I just have no idea how you could possibly justify pulling him? Like what would be the reason? Because Wentz is being paid more and can throw farther? What good conceivable reason could they possibly come up with to bench Taylor at this point?

The old QB wins/losses argument. 

Brings back fond memories. 

39 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It wouldn’t be such a big deal if the records weren’t drastically different. I mean, is there any real argument this team hasn’t improved since the QB change? 

This is kind of a loaded question. Yes the entire team has improved in the past 4. From the coaching staff finally developing a gameplan that worked to the defense becoming a force, to the offensive line player better, Joey Slye nailing bombs, Jamin Davis has played significantly better, St. Juste has looked great during this stretch, and Taylor Heinicke has been a fiery force that resonates from the top down. The quarterback play, besides the number of sacks we are taking (partially in credit to the o-line), has not been significantly improved in my opinion. Heinicke is still who he was last year, he sails passes. He makes bad decisions. He misses reads. Do I prefer him to Carson Wentz? Absolutely. The disparity between the two QBs comes down to arm strength to me, that's it. Wentz can make passes that Heinicke can't. At this point I am ok with Taylor not having the arm strength as long as Scott Turner can do what he did against the Eagles. Plus having the 2nd round pick when Wentz is clearly not "the answer" at QB is way more beneficial.

• Like 2

You 100% have to start Heinicke against the Texans this Sunday. Now if he plays bad and we lose because of his poor play, then you can start Wentz against the Falcons the next Sunday and there is real no valid complaint as to why(other then the compensation pick).  To me it's just a no-brainer. Hot hand in Heinicke, Wentz just became eligible to come back. Just makes no sense to rush him back in when he might not be needed.