Zach Wilson

biggie.

31 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Teams are so desperate to miss out on the “next Mahomes” that any guy with a big arm who can make cool “off platform throws” is getting over-drafted 

THIS. People seemingly ignored Wilson was widely forgettable at BYU outside of a completely wacky year where entire teams sat due to contact tracing and crowds were missing.

Wilson was a 3-4th round talent when you actually watched him play - physical tools were over the moon, but actually using said tools in a football game wasn’t really on the table.

45 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Teams are so desperate to miss out on the “next Mahomes” that any guy with a big arm who can make cool “off platform throws” is getting over-drafted 

There’s honestly nothing wrong with that. Those are the types of QBs that matter in todays NFL, just look around the league. I would agree that barring something substantial Wilson’s probably not the guy, but at least they tried. What’s the alternative? Draft Mac Jones and hover in mediocrity for the next decade?

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

There’s honestly nothing wrong with that. Those are the types of QBs that matter in todays NFL, just look around the league. I would agree that barring something substantial Wilson’s probably not the guy, but at least they tried. What’s the alternative? Draft Mac Jones and hover in mediocrity for the next decade?

Somewhere in there you need some sort of actual production in a normal environment. Outside of the pandemic season, Wilson was a largely forgettable college QB.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been drafted, just that he shouldn’t have been the #2 pick in the draft. 

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Somewhere in there you need some sort of actual production in a normal environment. Outside of the pandemic season, Wilson was a largely forgettable college QB.

I’m not saying he shouldn’t have been drafted, just that he shouldn’t have been the #2 pick in the draft. 

What blew my mind then and even more now was how he was set in stone as consensus guy at #2. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

What blew my mind then and even more now was how he was set in stone as consensus guy at #2. 

I never had him as that guy - I was honestly dumbfounded why everyone shot past Justin Fields as QB2.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

in principle i agree, but the alternative in the jets' case was to draft justin fields, who was the superior prospect in every conceivable way- traits, production, character, you name it. he's not setting the world on fire through the air but he's a much better fit for the jets' offense and would likely be a much more effective player for them than wilson (not to mention he'd be working with a lot more talent in NY). it was baffling at the time and it's even more baffling now.

• Like 3