2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I want to at least have the hope of winning next year, so anything that trades Tannehill without somehow getting Bryce Young is going to be a negative on my opinion.

You are starting to make me think we don't actually trade/cut Tannehill. I go back and fourth in my mind if we actually will do it or not.

I think alot still has to be determined by what happens in these last two games.

We are inching toward a top 12 pick.

I feel we should do everything we can to secure a better position around a QB, before we go to try to snag one for the future. But who knows what timing will allow.

None of the qbs this year inspire me. 

Embrace the suck next year while rebuilding the offense. Reboot the o line, get another pass catcher across from  Burks. I hope Vrabel is pissed about the situation and wants to tear it down on offense.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I want to at least have the hope of winning next year, so anything that trades Tannehill without somehow getting Bryce Young is going to be a negative on my opinion.

With Tannehill next year, what are we “winning”?

nobody is wanting a 2 win season, but we are literally in qb purgatory with him and if we are being honest with ourselves, that’s been obvious since our 2019 playoff run

He isn’t good enough to win a SB. So we aren’t really winning sh** with him

its time for this team to turn the page on this era. It’s peaked 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I mean, I get not wanting to suck. It's awful to witness as fans. But this team has run its course. If we can get actual value by trading Tannehill, we'd be making a mistake by not trading him. Ignoring that and keeping Tannehill will only delay the inevitable. We don't have the roster or assets to make a real move and win a Super Bowl. Next year has 2 legit potential franchise QBs and either 1 of them would go #1 this season. If we trade Tannehill and turn the team over to Willis next season, Willis either swims or sinks. If he swims then we know we have a QB we can try to build around. If he sinks then we have a chance at a true franchise QB.

This is also just what I/we want. What I actually think is going to happen is we extend Tannehill to lower his cap hit, cut a couple veterans to save some room, and run it back with some fringe free agent signings. As others have said, I don't think Vrabel will be on board with a tanking season.

• Like 2

i’ve been here through the good years and the really, really bad years and can say without hesitation that after the last 3 seasons i’d rather sink or swim with malik than go 9-8, limp into the playoffs, and get bounced for the billionth time straight with a team that everyone on earth knows has zero shot at winning it all.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i’ve been here through the good years and the really, really bad years and can say without hesitation that after the last 3 seasons i’d rather sink or swim with malik than go 9-8, limp into the playoffs, and get bounced for the billionth time straight with a team that everyone on earth knows has zero shot at winning it all.

I hear that, but I also don't enjoy turning on the TV and the team having 1% chance of winning. 
Yesterday was the least excited I've been to watch a game since. 2014. And even then I had some hope because Mettenberger.

I watched yesterday on my desktop instead of the TV. My wife said why you watching there, and not the TV. I said it's whatever right now. At least I can surf the internet during timeouts easier and comment on here. 

Titans football literally gives me something to look forward too and it's really the "only thing that is my thing." I do so much for everyone else and Titans football is for me. But they continue to disappoint. 

Next year if Malik is the QB and we have this same approach to offense, I'm going to be sad. Because Vrabel won't likely be here and what faith in this organization will we have?

But hey, we should have a nice stadium soon to go 2-15 in right? lol

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

With Tannehill next year, what are we “winning”?

nobody is wanting a 2 win season, but we are literally in qb purgatory with him and if we are being honest with ourselves, that’s been obvious since our 2019 playoff run

He isn’t good enough to win a SB. So we aren’t really winning sh** with him

its time for this team to turn the page on this era. It’s peaked 

I don't know about you, but I have more fun watching the Titans with a healthy Tannehill than I did when we had a healthy Zach Mettenberger. We were the one seed with him last year. He isn't the problem. Put him on the 49ers and they're the Super Bowl favorite out of the NFC.

You can wish for Malik to start and hope that we get lucky and find a QB after a 2 win season, but that hasn't exactly worked for everyone else. How long were the Jags at the bottom of the league before they got Lawrence? 

That's what life without Tannehill is going to look like. We'll be a bottom of the league team for awhile just hoping to get lucky that the QB we take first overall is Trevor Lawrence and not Zach Wilson or Baker Mayfield.

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I don't know about you, but I have more fun watching the Titans with a healthy Tannehill than I did when we had a healthy Zach Mettenberger. We were the one seed with him last year. He isn't the problem. Put him on the 49ers and they're the Super Bowl favorite out of the NFC.

You can wish for Malik to start and hope that we get lucky and find a QB after a 2 win season, but that hasn't exactly worked for everyone else. How long were the Jags at the bottom of the league before they got Lawrence? 

That's what life without Tannehill is going to look like. We'll be a bottom of the league team for awhile just hoping to get lucky that the QB we take first overall is Trevor Lawrence and not Zach Wilson or Baker Mayfield.

Just want to point out the reasoning for wanting to keep Tannehill is the same as wanting to keep Robinson. 

Both keep you from being terrible. 

Change is always unknown. But either you change with a plan or stay the same hoping to find the right mix to win. 

27 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

Having watched since 2000, I 100% disagree. 

I think a lot of people think it's just going to be one bad year and we'll find out QB and bounce back.

I would imagine we'd be bad for multiple years. Potentially firing our HC after consecutive losing seasons.

Complete rebuild of the organization. 

I'd rather just rebuild the OL and continue to try to win the division and hope we can build a great OL and put playmakers on the offense for Tannehill.

The idea that Tannehill is the issue blows my mind.

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Just want to point out the reasoning for wanting to keep Tannehill is the same as wanting to keep Robinson. 

Both keep you from being terrible. 

Change is always unknown. But either you change with a plan or stay the same hoping to find the right mix to win. 

Robinson was making us horrible. Look at our roster. Fans didn't want to believe it.

Otherwise we're not having this conversation.

He was massively overrated because of a 2019 draft class.

22 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Having watched since 2000, I 100% disagree. 

I think a lot of people think it's just going to be one bad year and we'll find out QB and bounce back.

I would imagine we'd be bad for multiple years. Potentially firing our HC after consecutive losing seasons.

Complete rebuild of the organization. 

I'd rather just rebuild the OL and continue to try to win the division and hope we can build a great OL and put playmakers on the offense for Tannehill.

The idea that Tannehill is the issue blows my mind.

literally nobody thinks tannehill is the issue. nobody’s said that but you. tannehill is a good quarterback and there’s not a doubt in my mind he’d have serious success with the jets, commanders, etc. i’ve said this repeatedly, so i don’t know why you’re putting those words in my mouth.

the issue is we need to completely gut rebuild the offense and tannehill is old, expensive, and only gives us a real chance when he’s surrounded by talent- which he won’t be for a minute. “i’d rather just build up the OL” as though that’s guaranteed to be the quicker and easier option is a pretty optimistic thing to say when we have to replace, at MINIMUM, 3 of the 5 spots and are unlikely to immediately hit on all of them in one offseason. by the time we’ve built up the offense again his contract will be up and he’ll be in his late 30s, at which point we will be searching for a QB regardless. there’s no avoiding that part of the game. i’d just prefer to get a jump on that rather than hanging around in mediocrity for yet *another* year.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 1

But yes, tanking and just assuming the QB you get is going to be the answer is wishful thinking and still a leap of faith.

So many said Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Lance, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, were going to be good pros if not HOF track. 

Even Lawerence isn't "THE MAN" he has improved but we saw how the wrong staff can really ruin a QB. 

The best drafted QB's in the last 15 years-Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Dak, Luck

Honorable Mention: Tannehill, Cousins, Carr, Jimmy G, Watson, Murray, Tua, Lawrence.

7 Franchise QB's in 15 years isn't an encouraging rate of success. lol

Most of the QB's you get will have to be the right QB for what you want to do. Best case scenario is likely getting a Tannehill, Cousins or Carr. 
Unlikely to get a Burrow.
Likely to get a Mayfield, Goff. 

16 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Robinson was making us horrible. Look at our roster. Fans didn't want to believe it.

Otherwise we're not having this conversation.

He was massively overrated because of a 2019 draft class.

I will continue to disagree. 
Arguments could be had about Tannehill (who Robinson brought in). 
Every argument you had about Marcus being  a version of Robinson.. can be said about keeping Tannehill. 
Despite the arguments about the roster or even facts about the roster, the results were cold hard facts. 

Keeping Tannehill to avoid being a bottom team was pretty much the argument to keep Robinson. He was keeping us from being the bottom. And again despite any opinions or facts of the players, it came together somehow to produce nothing but winning seasons. Maybe it was knowing what Vrabel wanted and finding players that can do that, but not the best, maybe it was just finding the right players to do just enough...whatever it was. the mix of him, Vrabel and the players produced nothing but winning seasons. 

Graded on it's own the players were falling below expectations.
Graded on his own, same can be said about Tannehill.
Graded on his own, Vrabel rates well. 

Nothing I say will help you see that, and that's cool.  But to keep talking like Robinson was the worst thing to ever happen or that he was horrible is ridiculous.The last draft is trending to be a good one, on average with most GMs. Like I've said a MILLION times, show me the gold standard of GM and their track record and let's compare it. 

But to the main point. keeping Tannehill to me does nothing for this team moving forward. Just keeps us in the middle or slightly below, while we continue the offensive rebuild we started this season. 

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

But yes, tanking and just assuming the QB you get is going to be the answer is wishful thinking and still a leap of faith.

So many said Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold, Lance, Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, were going to be good pros if not HOF track. 

Even Lawerence isn't "THE MAN" he has improved but we saw how the wrong staff can really ruin a QB. 

The best drafted QB's in the last 15 years-Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Dak, Luck

Honorable Mention: Tannehill, Cousins, Carr, Jimmy G, Watson, Murray, Tua, Lawrence.

7 Franchise QB's in 15 years isn't an encouraging rate of success. lol

Most of the QB's you get will have to be the right QB for what you want to do. Best case scenario is likely getting a Tannehill, Cousins or Carr. 
Unlikely to get a Burrow.
Likely to get a Mayfield, Goff. 

Idc how we get our guy. Just get our guy.

The mindset should never be just tank for x player. I think you play it out. Then let the chips fall how they may.

Also, being in the top 5 and just having to draft a guy because he is the "consensus guy" is a whatever position. I am of the mentality if you have a guy you have scouted as your guy, do what you gotta do to get him. Finding a franchise QB is clearly a crap shoot, as you have stated.

Look at how the Chiefs got Mahomes and the Bills got Allen. They both traded up because they felt those were the guys who could transcend them. They weren't the typical, we have the first pick we have to pick x player.

So in the mean time, build a great culture, and stack assets to be ready to maybe move on a guy you love.

Edited by twotonebluenation

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

We aren’t the 49ers and putting Tannehill on them doesn’t make them a SB favorite, because there’s consistent examples of Tannehill crumbling in the playoffs 

I don’t even get the point you’re trying to make, because it’s not really rooted in reality or what we’ve seen from tannehill

Sure, Ryan makes us more competitive than Malik. Nobody would disagree with that. But Ryan also costs a ton of money and we have a dearth of talent at other positions. We aren’t even close to having a roster around him that can both help him reach his max potential AND shield his glaring limitations.

There is no right or wrong answer here … we either tear it down and rebuild and stick it out with Tanny and hope we can build thru the draft. 

but the idea that Tanny = winning is like the most insignificant definition of “winning” in sports. Because he turns into a pumpkin in January, so none of it really matters in the grand scheme of things 

last year was an awesome run to the 1 seed, had so many great regular season memories. But it ended in the most crushing of ways that soured the entire season… all those wins you want…because of Ryan Tannehill more than anyone else

• Like 2