2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

It really is a nervous feeling. 
We know how stubborn he can be with his decisions. He has yet to fire a coordinator. They all have left.

I don't think the world could have been any louder to fire Bowen. I mean it was expected for him to be fired as soon as the season ended. All he did was make him the absolute DC.  LOL Still can't believe we went with "NO DC." lol 

That defense was historically bad.  Yet here we are with Shane.

Our offense isn't historically bad.  He probably sees how Todd installs plays and teaches and thinks, this man knows football. But he has Daley at LT and no WRs. Jon Robinson's fault. Let me load him up and see what he does. 

I am 55% on Downing being back. 

Then we are looking at Vrabel totally different. 
New GM. Ugh. We could be headed for a whole repeating cycle of GM fired, then coach. New GM hired, New coach....back to the middle of the pack. 

The difference I see between the Bowen situation and Downing is that once we gave Bowen the keys to the defense and brought in Jim Schwartz as an advisor to help him the defense improved greatly. Vrabel tried that same tactic this year with the offense by bringing in Tim Kelly as an advisor to help Downing, and the offense has gotten even worse than last year. I just don't see any way that you can justify keeping him. 

10 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

The difference I see between the Bowen situation and Downing is that once we gave Bowen the keys to the defense and brought in Jim Schwartz as an advisor to help him the defense improved greatly. Vrabel tried that same tactic this year with the offense by bringing in Tim Kelly as an advisor to help Downing, and the offense has gotten even worse than last year. I just don't see any way that you can justify keeping him. 

Yeah.  Bowen had one bad year.  Downing's play calling lost us the playoff game last year (I know I know, Tanny throwing 3 INTs also did, but I think, even with Tanny's **** game, Downing being a halfway decent play caller could have won us the game in spite of Tanny), and he's only gotten worse.  It's a different situation.

But I am also nervous that they won't make the change.  And they're blowing a golden opportunity with Kelly, who very well might be exactly what we need at OC.  but we'll never know as long as they refuse to fire Downing.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

It really is a nervous feeling. 
We know how stubborn he can be with his decisions. He has yet to fire a coordinator. They all have left.

I don't think the world could have been any louder to fire Bowen. I mean it was expected for him to be fired as soon as the season ended. All he did was make him the absolute DC.  LOL Still can't believe we went with "NO DC." lol 

That defense was historically bad.  Yet here we are with Shane.

Our offense isn't historically bad.  He probably sees how Todd installs plays and teaches and thinks, this man knows football. But he has Daley at LT and no WRs. Jon Robinson's fault. Let me load him up and see what he does. 

I am 55% on Downing being back. 

Then we are looking at Vrabel totally different. 
New GM. Ugh. We could be headed for a whole repeating cycle of GM fired, then coach. New GM hired, New coach....back to the middle of the pack. 

To be honest what did Bowen had to work with his 1st yr, let me guess Beasley an all pro at doing nothing clowney an all pro at staying hurt, Jack Crawford just trash, a Johnathan Joseph couldn’t cover a twin bed with king size sheet. Bowen ran the exact same defense the following yr with better players. Bowen was a victim of personnel 

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

could very well be totally made up, but hey I’m in the mood for believing whatever fits my current agenda 

for as freaking smart as Vrabel is, his inability to change what clearly isn’t working is just baffling. Like hard to believe baffling 

Yeah, I don’t know what we’re doing that gives us this injury problem, but we are not gonna win anything as long as we allow half our impact players to get sidelined for the entire season.

We can be the most talented team in the league and we won’t be able to compete if we have to use our C team by season’s end.

Updated plan.

Restructure Byard and Woods.
Woods, I think is better than what is on the market. Keep the evil you know. 
I did a cap hit of Jeffery of about $1 Million. It's unlikely I guess, but I don't know how low they could get it with an extension.

Release the others: Cap money to spend $53 Million. 

Restructured Kevin Byard
(Saved: $8,290,000)
Released Taylor Lewan
(Saved: $14,841,000)
Released Zach Cunningham
(Saved: $9,250,000)
Released Jamarco Jones
(Saved: $1,350,000)
Released Randy Bullock
(Saved: $2,130,000)
Released Geoff Swaim
(Saved: $825,000)
Released Kevin Rader
(Saved: $1,010,000)
Restructured Robert Woods
(Saved: $9,438,749)
Released Bud Dupree
(Saved: $9,350,000)
Jeffery Simmons cap hit changed from $10,753,000 to $1,000,000
(Saved: $9,753,000)

Notable FA Additions

Olamide Zaccheaus 2 yrs, $7,524,720
Jordan Akins 1 yrs, $2,628,102
Zach Gentry 
DeMarcus Walker 1 yrs, $3,275,621 (3 yr. $12 Million)
David Long 2 yrs, $9,871,568
Elgton Jenkins  or Nate Davis 3 yrs, $21,440,773

Draft

20. Broderick Jones OT Georgia

51.Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee

83 Ivan Pace Jr. LB/DE Cincinnati

151Jonathan Mingo WR Ole Miss

171.Wanya Morris OT Oklahoma

215.Harrison Mevis K Missouri

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, I don’t know what we’re doing that gives us this injury problem, but we are not gonna win anything as long as we allow half our impact players to get sidelined for the entire season.

We can be the most talented team in the league and we won’t be able to compete if we have to use our C team by season’s end.

This is the only reason why I wasn't totally against Robinson. 
No mater the "talent" of the team, hard to be your best when your best never plays. Maybe that's his fault for drafting or Maybe It's Vrabel for not trusting some of the draft picks. (Radunz vs. Daley). 

I'm 100% sure we'd have a different product if Phillips and Burks were able to play even 80% of the games this year. Along with Lewan. If Radunz could have taken Brewer spot with a  line of Lewan, Radunzn, Jones, Davis, NPF with back up of Jamarco Jones and (ugh) Daley, who we'd likely have a different view if he was filling at OG for one game. 

The offense would likely be about 19-24th in the league opposed second to last. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Updated plan.

Restructure Byard and Woods.
Woods, I think is better than what is on the market. Keep the evil you know. 
I did a cap hit of Jeffery of about $1 Million. It's unlikely I guess, but I don't know how low they could get it with an extension.

Release the others: Cap money to spend $53 Million. 

Restructured Kevin Byard
(Saved: $8,290,000)
Released Taylor Lewan
(Saved: $14,841,000)
Released Zach Cunningham
(Saved: $9,250,000)
Released Jamarco Jones
(Saved: $1,350,000)
Released Randy Bullock
(Saved: $2,130,000)
Released Geoff Swaim
(Saved: $825,000)
Released Kevin Rader
(Saved: $1,010,000)
Restructured Robert Woods
(Saved: $9,438,749)
Released Bud Dupree
(Saved: $9,350,000)
Jeffery Simmons cap hit changed from $10,753,000 to $1,000,000
(Saved: $9,753,000)

Notable FA Additions

Olamide Zaccheaus 2 yrs, $7,524,720
Jordan Akins 1 yrs, $2,628,102
Zach Gentry 
DeMarcus Walker 1 yrs, $3,275,621 (3 yr. $12 Million)
David Long 2 yrs, $9,871,568
Elgton Jenkins  or Nate Davis 3 yrs, $21,440,773

Draft

I already see flaws with this plan.
WR- Burks, Woods, Phillips, Hyatt, Zaccheaus, Mingo, McRath, NWI.  I know Vrabel isn't going to just not try to get NWI back.  

F..lol They not gonna do this.

Forget this whole thing. It was fun to do but eh. Not gonna work. 

10 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Draft

I would absolutely love this draft.  Broderick Jones is a little short, but he's comepletely shut down several talented pass rushers and surrendered zero pressures on the season.  He's a beast, and likely a Day 1 starter.  He could probably also be an elite guard, if this is how the draft shook out and Morris turned into a good LT.

Hyatt is the perfect fit for what our offense needs, but I think he's going to have a fast forty and be long gone before pick 51.  The NFL seems to have put a high premium on his kind of receiver lately.  But I have trouble finding any player in this draft that fits one of our needs as well as Hyatt.

Pace I'm not super familiar with.  Same with Mevis, but we need a kicker.  Mingo, eh, yeah it'd be nice, but I would rather not spend multiple draft picks at receiver.  I'd rather also get another TE.  Chig is great, but we generally like two TE sets, and getting someone else to put on the field with Chig, especially a guy who can also block well already, would more complementary than adding more receivers we won't use.

Morris I love.  He's got NFL build for a LT, but he's been second fiddle this season to Harrison, who's a great tackle himself.  He'd be a fantastic pickup that late in the draft, though if the plan would be for Jones to play OT, I'm not sure how well Morris swings inside.

10 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I'm 100% sure we'd have a different product if Phillips and Burks were able to play even 80% of the games this year. Along with Lewan. If Radunz could have taken Brewer spot with a  line of Lewan, Radunzn, Jones, Davis, NPF with back up of Jamarco Jones and (ugh) Daley, who we'd likely have a different view if he was filling at OG for one game. 

That's another thing we haven't gotten into about the Radunz/Daley situation.  Kick Daley inside, and he's probably better.  He's not an awful run blocker, and that's more important as a guard.  He also wouldn't have to worry as much about anyone who can take one step outside immediately beating him.

And Radunz seems better as a tackle.  And yet, for reasons that don't make sense to anyone, they have been absolutely set on seeing Radunz as a guard, and Daley as a tackle all ******* season.  Like, if you pitched this as something coaches did in a movie, you'd get pushback for it being too unrealistic.