2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I don't think Burks has to be like that to be considered a good group. if it ends being 2018 Corey Davis who had about 900 yards. Room was Darius Jennings, Cameron Batson, Tajae Sharpe, Taywan Taylor.

Team went 9-7 lost to the Colts in that game with no Marcus. 
I think people would consider that a successful season. 

Now, Burks can't top off there. He would need to be better long term, but next year, I think that would do.

....if you consider that to be a good receiving group, or anything close, then we're just living in entirely different universes here.

Just now, Daniel said:

If Burks isn't a 1000 yard receiver, and we have nothing behind him, I don't see how that's remotely anywhere near enough.  Like, that would definitely make this the worst group of receivers in the NFL.

Was that 2018 room any better? I'm not saying we'd be calling for them to go to the Hall of Fame. 
I'm saying if he just was 2018 Corey Davis next year. Say Moore gets you 500 yards like Taywan did that year, Phillips gives you 300 yards like Sharpe did that year.

Chig gives you 500, which would be about what Firsker and Jonnu combined did. 
Spears/Henry gives  400 yards which is what Dion Lewis gave that year. 

And so on.....

Production wise, you match that year.  Which a low target, but better than last year of course. And if Derrick/Spears gives you more than the 1500 yards rushing that Henry and Lewis gave that year, you have a more competent offense that last year (again low bar) and combined with hopefully a solid defense, that gives you 7-8 wins or maybe the 9-8 record mark with good coaching. 

And if that happens considering most people's prediction of the bottom falling out for the team, that would be a good year, would it not?

I guess I fail to see how that wouldn't be enough from Burks. 
Don't confuse it with me saying that is a great year, but I'm saying if he did just that alone and if the others contribute along with those predictions, people would be very optimistic bout the future. 

7 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

....if you consider that to be a good receiving group, or anything close, then we're just living in entirely different universes here.

Again......

I'm not saying that is a "Good group" or what we are hoping to have. 
He said Burks would have to be as good as Brown, and I'm saying even if he is just as good as Corey Davis was in 2018 then it would be a major improvement and set us going in a more positive direction. 

And I mention that group and Davis because, our group this year, is about on par with that 2018 group that still got us to 9-7.

I routinely said it's a low bar to clear, but the production from that 2018 group was good enough to get us to 9-7. 

SOOOO....

If this group can just match that group, we could have a better year than the expected 5-6 wins. 

To respond to the statement:  Burks has to have a Brown like year for this group to be considered successful. I disagree. 
I think he could be 2018 Corey Davis and the WR group could be "successful" enough to provide a winning season. 

Low bar to clear and not what we should be aiming for, but it would be an improvement in the right direction. 

Burs needs to be as good as Brown because he was acquired to be as good as Brown. Unfair to him? Yes, but that’s what happened.

Good-to-great receiver play is becoming more and more necessary come January (unless you have Mahomes). A Corey Davis stat line from your #1 just isn’t gonna cut it, even if you’re a “run first” team

Burks has to turn a corner. Need to start seeing legit #1 receiver traits from him, otherwise he’s gonna turn into JAG like every WR we have recently had besides AJ

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Again......

I'm not saying that is a "Good group" or what we are hoping to have. 
He said Burks would have to be as good as Brown, and I'm saying even if he is just as good as Corey Davis was in 2018 then it would be a major improvement and set us going in a more positive direction. 

And I mention that group and Davis because, our group this year, is about on par with that 2018 group that still got us to 9-7.

I routinely said it's a low bar to clear, but the production from that 2018 group was good enough to get us to 9-7. 

SOOOO....

If this group can just match that group, we could have a better year than the expected 5-6 wins. 

you are literally the only person in this whole thread bringing up expected win totals. that's not what this conversation is about- it's about having a good receiving group, which the titans are uniquely bad at doing. i don't give a **** about 9-7 or 6-10. what i do care about is a team-building philosophy that is fundamentally broken.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

you are literally the only person in this whole thread bringing up expected win totals. that's not what this conversation is about- it's about having a good receiving group, which the titans are uniquely bad at doing. i don't give a **** about 9-7 or 6-10. what i do care about is a team-building philosophy that is fundamentally broken.

ok...you right. I'm wrong. 

14 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Burs needs to be as good as Brown because he was acquired to be as good as Brown. Unfair to him? Yes, but that’s what happened.

Good-to-great receiver play is becoming more and more necessary come January (unless you have Mahomes). A Corey Davis stat line from your #1 just isn’t gonna cut it, even if you’re a “run first” team

Burks has to turn a corner. Need to start seeing legit #1 receiver traits from him, otherwise he’s gonna turn into JAG like every WR we have recently had besides AJ

Yeah. they are linked. 
Long-term he has to become one of the best to make most Titans fans feel somewhat justified or Arthur has to fall off a cliff somehow. 

I brought up Davis for the purpose of this coming year and what it would take to start changing how people view this group of WRs. 
I mention record because ultimately that is what it is about. What good is it to have two 1400 yard WRs if we lose every game. 

Titans football won't be "pretty" for the foreseeable future. 

But if the group as a collection can help us win in some kind of way, will we hold up a championship trophy arms folded saying, "yeah but we didn't have a 1,000-yard receiver." 

But yes, Burks needs to be great to turn the perception of our WR crew from abysmal to respectable. 

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah. they are linked. 
Long-term he has to become one of the best to make most Titans fans feel somewhat justified or Arthur has to fall off a cliff somehow. 

I brought up Davis for the purpose of this coming year and what it would take to start changing how people view this group of WRs. 
I mention record because ultimately that is what it is about. What good is it to have two 1400 yard WRs if we lose every game. 

Titans football won't be "pretty" for the foreseeable future. 

But if the group as a collection can help us win in some kind of way, will we hold up a championship trophy arms folded saying, "yeah but we didn't have a 1,000-yard receiver." 

But yes, Burks needs to be great to turn the perception of our WR crew from abysmal to respectable. 

Even trying to be optimistic, I don’t see how this group helps us win in any sense without becoming “very good”. Because it’s hard to win in todays NFL without very good receivers. 

if Burks/Chig/Phillips can become a very productive trio… that’ll be huge for us. But based on last year and last year alone…that’ll require big steps from Burks and Phillips especially. 

8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Even trying to be optimistic, I don’t see how this group helps us win in any sense without becoming “very good”. Because it’s hard to win in todays NFL without very good receivers. 

if Burks/Chig/Phillips can become a very productive trio… that’ll be huge for us. But based on last year and last year alone…that’ll require big steps from Burks and Phillips especially. 

And I'm trying to think what a realistic step is if healthy. (If healthy, it's crazy how that has to be said about all our players, because we don't know considering the last two years.)

But is it realistic to think he can double his output, playing in 16 full games, a better (hard to be worst) offensive line, better play caller and consistent QB play? I think so. Based off what he showed. 800-900 yards would be very welcomed. 

Same for Phillips. Gave us pretty much one game and approached almost 100 yards in that one. 
If he plays the season, could we not reasonably expect him to give us about 500 yards? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Was that 2018 room any better? I'm not saying we'd be calling for them to go to the Hall of Fame. 
I'm saying if he just was 2018 Corey Davis next year. Say Moore gets you 500 yards like Taywan did that year, Phillips gives you 300 yards like Sharpe did that year.

Chig gives you 500, which would be about what Firsker and Jonnu combined did. 
Spears/Henry gives  400 yards which is what Dion Lewis gave that year. 

And so on.....

Production wise, you match that year.  Which a low target, but better than last year of course. And if Derrick/Spears gives you more than the 1500 yards rushing that Henry and Lewis gave that year, you have a more competent offense that last year (again low bar) and combined with hopefully a solid defense, that gives you 7-8 wins or maybe the 9-8 record mark with good coaching. 

And if that happens considering most people's prediction of the bottom falling out for the team, that would be a good year, would it not?

I guess I fail to see how that wouldn't be enough from Burks. 
Don't confuse it with me saying that is a great year, but I'm saying if he did just that alone and if the others contribute along with those predictions, people would be very optimistic bout the future. 

Bold: Not really, and that year, wide receiver was one of our biggest needs, so we drafted AJ Brown.  Because it wasn't enough.  That was also the season that Derrick Henry came on, and we don't have that Derrick Henry any more.  We also don't have the constant bottom tier Jaguars to beat 9-6 either.

And even then, we're assuming a lot of growth, and health.

On the second bold, that's a big assumption.  The 2018 Titans had a great offensive line, with prime Lewan, Kelly, and Ben Jones.  Guard wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  That's way better than we'll have this year, and Henry is almost certainly going to be regressing.

Lastly, our defense is good, but 2018 had Jurrell Casey, Logan Ryan, Jayon Brown, Malcolm Butler, and Kevin Byard all playing at their best.  Not to mention Wesley Woodyard and Harold Landry playing well.  That's also very likely better than we're gonna put forward this year.

And even then, is 9 wins really what we're saying is "good" for now?  That just keeps us out of contention for the playoffs and in middle purgatory.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And even then, is 9 wins really what we're saying is "good" for now?  That just keeps us out of contention for the playoffs and in middle purgatory.

9 wins is what we fired mike mularkey for lol. how quickly people forget.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Bold: Not really, and that year, wide receiver was one of our biggest needs, so we drafted AJ Brown.  Because it wasn't enough.  That was also the season that Derrick Henry came on, and we don't have that Derrick Henry any more.  We also don't have the constant bottom tier Jaguars to beat 9-6 either.

And even then, we're assuming a lot of growth, and health.

On the second bold, that's a big assumption.  The 2018 Titans had a great offensive line, with prime Lewan, Kelly, and Ben Jones.  Guard wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible.  That's way better than we'll have this year, and Henry is almost certainly going to be regressing.

Lastly, our defense is good, but 2018 had Jurrell Casey, Logan Ryan, Jayon Brown, Malcolm Butler, and Kevin Byard all playing at their best.  Not to mention Wesley Woodyard and Harold Landry playing well.  That's also very likely better than we're gonna put forward this year.

Yeah...

I guess assume the worst or least really with this team. No real reason to think otherwise. History tells us they won't meet expectations and likely underperform.

We are a middle class organization really. That's about where we are going to be. 

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

9 wins is what we fired mike mularkey for lol. how quickly people forget.

Gonna be a rough next couple years. No real solution in sight. 
Levis isn't well thought of by the masses. 
No WR help in sight. Herny is getting old. 
Line is only moderately better. 

When Vrabel gets fired because of his offensive approach and being tied to Levis, likely looking at a full on rebuild, again.