2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

Hi there, wasn’t saying he wasn’t worth of being a 2nd overall pick notice how i said I hope you’re not comparing skillset. Skillset they are not the same mariota skillset is more similar to VY, just a better throwing motion vs VY side arm throwing style. Stroud mechanics, ball placement & throwing with anticipation far better than mariota 

I don't think I agree there.  Mariota looked like a perfect prospect, but the issue was his offensive system asked him to do so little, there were only like a handful of throws where he didn't throw to his hot read.  On those few, he did look good, but with so few, there was just no way of knowing if he could operate in a pro system.

1 hour ago, TitanRedd said:

More so injuries, though he had 4 OC’s the system only change twice he never could throw outside the #

I do think you're probably right there.  Injuries were probably the biggest issue, and his constant injuries bled into the rest of his game.  It was awful having Mariota as a QB, because he showed enough to make it look like he was about to finally truly break out the next year, but he never took that step.  Made it hard to break up with him til Tanny fell into our laps.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I don't think I agree there.  Mariota looked like a perfect prospect, but the issue was his offensive system asked him to do so little, there were only like a handful of throws where he didn't throw to his hot read.  On those few, he did look good, but with so few, there was just no way of knowing if he could operate in a pro system.

I do think you're probably right there.  Injuries were probably the biggest issue, and his constant injuries bled into the rest of his game.  It was awful having Mariota as a QB, because he showed enough to make it look like he was about to finally truly break out the next year, but he never took that step.  Made it hard to break up with him til Tanny fell into our laps.

Marcus 2016 was when I thought we had the guy. Build around him some more and watch us fly. 

Injuries and the yips got him. He was holding the ball too long and wasn't trusting his eyes. Statistically he and Watson was pretty neck and neck their first couple years, that's what's wild. 

But, I didn't want to draft him really. I just wasn't sold on the arm. Then the system conversion to the NFL worried me.

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2024-nfl-mock-draft-caleb-williams-drake-maye-bo-nix#gid=ci02be28d780002732&pid=32-kansas-city-chiefs 

Always interesting. Most these names won't be in the mix. I don't think we will be picking #4 but if we do then I guess we can be like Arizona and draft a QB back to back, like Rosen and Murray. 

Do people actually think we’re going to be picking #4? Is that assuming Tannehill isn’t starting? It has to be, right?

3 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Do people actually think we’re going to be picking #4? Is that assuming Tannehill isn’t starting? It has to be, right?

I guess ending the year losing what 7 games will do that people. 

At the least, I see us winning 7 games again. 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

At the least, I see us winning 7 games again. 

If we don't get injuries under control, I could easily see us vying for the first overall pick.

Henry will be 30, our QB will either be an aging Tannehill or rookie Levis with no one to throw to, we've turned over pretty much the entire OL, and the Colts and Texans both got young, talented QBs.  Oh yeah, and the Jags pulled almost as big a positive turnaround as our negative one at the season's end.

We get healthier, things look much better, but that offense is already shaky.  One or two key guys go down, it could turn into a mess really quickly.

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If we don't get injuries under control, I could easily see us vying for the first overall pick.

Henry will be 30, our QB will either be an aging Tannehill or rookie Levis with no one to throw to, we've turned over pretty much the entire OL, and the Colts and Texans both got young, talented QBs.  Oh yeah, and the Jags pulled almost as big a positive turnaround as our negative one at the season's end.

We get healthier, things look much better, but that offense is already shaky.  One or two key guys go down, it could turn into a mess really quickly.

I mean, last year was a pretty big disaster as far as injuries go. As long as Tannehill stays healthy there’s no way we’re picking in the top 10. 

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015mmariota.php

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marcus-mariota/32004d41-5218-6347-2b09-64276fa61f68

@Daniel so I won’t sound like a mariota hater, I can keep posting more scouting reports but I’m leave it at 2. This I response to you saying MM was the perfect prospect, No he never wasn’t on all his scouting reports even you look at the majority of his college highlights you see a QB throwing to wide open guys, he played in a 1 read spread offense like VY, he struggled with pocket awareness, & ball placement & footwork was sloppy, & like you said he didn’t play in a pro style offense, mostly compared to Kapernick coming out.

His best season was in 2016 because Mularkey understood his strengths & weaknesses, he struggles driving the ball throwing outside the #s which is why him & Corey Davis never click, though I know Davis didn’t play with him in 2016 stay here with me. Marcus go to playmakers we’re Delanie & Rishard Matthews because he could get them the ball in the middle of the field & on the move. Once defenses figured that out they took a way the middle playing cover 2, sitting underneath an a shell bracket in the middle & would disguise coverage pre snap forcing him to hold on the ball all day long, not trusting his eyes. He simply was worthy of being picked #2 because he dominated on the college level won a championship & there’s always a love for dual threat QB’s & you thought about his upside if you develop him. 

Edited by TitanRedd

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I mean, last year was a pretty big disaster as far as injuries go. As long as Tannehill stays healthy there’s no way we’re picking in the top 10. 

The Colts thought they were a playoff team and wound up picking #4. Life comes at you fast.

40 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

The Colts thought they were a playoff team and wound up picking #4. Life comes at you fast.

I think the difference was they were banking on an unknown to their team in Matt Ryan. And maybe never was as great the media said they were.

Tannehill and Henry are a very known commodities for our team along with Vrabel. 

I mean yeah to your point things change fast. You could be picking #4 in a hurry.

or

You could be the Niners who were 6-10 of 2020, that traded up for Trey Lance and had Jimmy J. Then 2021 Niners and go 10-7 losing in the NFC Championship game. Added some people via 1 year contracts. (one being Arden Key.lol) 

And they righted the ship to the franchise we see today. 

Never know. 

The offensive line needs a lot to break right in order for it to not be bad. Banking on Dillard actually being good instead of a bust, a rookie starter, Aaron Brewer being a better center than guard, Brunskill being something more than a good reserve swing OL and NPF taking a massive step. All of those things, individually, are certainly possible. But there isn’t anything resembling a sure thing on that OL.

With the way Vrabel wants the offense to function, there’s still a very clear and possible path to them tanking the entire offense. Especially when you factor in that we have one receiver with above average NFL talent and he’s coming off of a rookie year where he dealt with injuries most of the season.

Basically, what I’m saying, is that we aren’t that different than the team that lost seven straight to end the year. And if the OL gets Tannehill killed, or we just release him/trade him and/or move Henry, it’s certainly possible we’re picking top 5 next year.