Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

8 minutes ago, spilltray said:
22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The trade compensation in all of this is easy. It's not hard to work out compensation, I don't doubt that it's already done. The contract is the sticking point in anything like this. The Jets take on a meager cap hit, so that's fine, but do they pay all 60m of the cash? How much of it do the Packers take? It does nothing to our cap, but you're paying millions in what is essentially a buyout. So that's all going to the expense category with nothing returning to the sales end. Let's face it, for 2023 Jordan Love is making the Packers far less revenue than Rodgers would. We'll be on primetime less, and unless Love starts out of the gate roaring, I doubt he'll be close to as marketable until he establishes himself. 

Basically it comes down to, you're buying draft capital, how much is it worth to you and how much is it worth to the Jets ? 

It doesn't matter who is on primetime. Revenue is completely split other than what direct team owned facilities make, everything from the Pro Shop to gamedays

Yeah, there's no way Love brings is less revenue than Rodgers...

Fans are going to be a lot more excited for him than another year of Aaron.

Love jersey sales in 2023 will be greater than Rodgers were in 2022.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Glad you see it as well, and I certainly agree. Rodgers has a wealth of strengths Love doesn't, but not sure those strengths help(ed) our team much anymore.

He wouldn't throw over the middle and routinely missed open receivers.  He hadn't thrown for 300 yards in a game since early December of 2021.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, R T said:

And the spotlight finally lands on why the compensation is not going to be what many are dreaming it will be. 

I don’t think it will be as high as many think but isn’t this quote saying compensation will be higher if the Packers eat some of Rodgers salary?

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Hell, Justin Fields jerseys outsold Aaron Rodgers jerseys in Wisconsin last year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don’t think it will be as high as many think but isn’t this quote saying compensation will be higher if the Packers eat some of Rodgers salary?

That is a given. 

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I wonder about Love vs Watson in jersey wars. 

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He wouldn't throw over the middle and routinely missed open receivers.  He hadn't thrown for 300 yards in a game since early December of 2021.  

He's expert at getting his OL and pass pro set up and on the same page. That will be missed. That's the biggest thing I can think of.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

As was posted a day or so ago, I think it was less Rodgers "missing" open receivers as it was Rodgers having decided pre-snap that he wasn't even going to consider the routes he didn't like.  It makes no sense for Rodgers to have forgotten how to read a defense and/or go through progressions.  It's far more likely that he actively decided to ignore those options altogether.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

could be of note regarding compensation 

I don't have much, if any, real knowledge of how finances work for NFL teams, but I have to think the Jets org would make that extra $60m back real quick through increased ticket sales, advertising, and TV time just by having Rodgers on the team.  That first game would absolutely be in prime time and the Jets would be the headliner in sports news for months leading up to it.  The biggest thing the Jets have been in the news for recently is Zach Wilson banging his mom's friends so this would be a good change of pace for them. 

With that said, if I were GB I would ask NYJ to throw in another day 2 pick for every $10-15m of that salary GB has to eat.  The Jets' cap hit will only be $15m and some change, so it's not like it will hamstring them from a team building standpoint.  They also might be able to salvage something from Wilson if Rodgers is there to teach him how to play football for a couple seasons.  Woody Johnson is a freaking multi-billionaire, anyway.  He could pay $60m for a cup of coffee and not even notice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So you are clearly of the opinion Watson is more likely to progress like Deguara? And that Wyatt is the next Keke? That's a fine opinion for you to have. I disagree with it.

What corner did Barry turn prior to 2022? What did he adjust in his scheme?

I'm confused about your identity comment. A first year starting QB on a team will still have an identity. Ours will rely more on our running game and timing passing than it did under Rodgers. 

Dillon was a second round pick who has not progressed.  Deguara is a third who has not progressed.

How much progression was there from MVS?

I mean, I love the optimism, and am HIGHLY optimistic on Watson and Doubs.  It's just the past drafts have not offered that much in the way of development.  Jenkins was good out of the gates, period.  Regressed this past year, probably injury related.  Gary progressed.  Savage regressed, badly.

Wyatt was a 24 year old rookie who should have been ready to play a bigger role as a rookie.  It didn't work out for him.  I think he will be a bust unless we go to that better 3 DL/DE hand in the dirt line with another OLB standing up.  Then he could be a force.  But here's the thing, it isn't up to him, it is up to.....

Barry.  I have little confidence that he will roll with a 4 man line with 3 guys having their hands in the dirt.  I have full confidence that we will be a 2DL and 2 OLB standing up right...again.  It's what he wants to do.  It just doesn't work.  

Identity.  Teams always need to find an identity with a new QB.  And it takes time, unless the QB is Mahomesesque.  Even Hurts took time and they had to build in the QB runs for him.

Maybe ours will be handing the ball off.  That doesn't seem to be a great identity to me.  Seems like a game manager's identity.