Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

55 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I just wish it was literally any team other than the Jets. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Rodgers turns them down for no other reason than not wanting to repeat the Favre storyline.

Is NY really only a decent QB away from the SB?  This is what Rodgers should consider more than anything else.  If not AR may decide to stay in familiar surroundings.  I just hope if this happens he isn't booed at home games in 2203.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

It's very clear the purpose of the extension was to have Aaron retire a Packer, but our FO feels like they didn't get what they paid for. Props to them for having a contract structured so it's easily moved on from, I mean 16m cap hit for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is absurd value. The option bonus gives them an opportunity to essentially purchase value back from the acquiring team, I don't see what your obstinance to admit this is. 

It’s not just 16m for 1 year of AR. There’s another $43.7m of prorations from the option bonus on top of that, which would accelerate onto their cap when he would leave in 2024.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

TBH I was hoping to get rid of Barry instead of Rodgers.  IMO our DC is holding this team back more than anything else.

Barry performed better than Rodgers without his star EDGE rusher. Didn’t allow 21 points in the final five games.

Twice his defense held the top 5 Lions offense under 21 points. The top 5 offense, worst defense. Rodgers scored 25 points total in those two games.

Aaron’s final 5 games he wasn’t above a QB rating of 96 once. He had 5 total touchdowns and 3 interceptions in his final 5 games.

So your opinion is wrong.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

And he'll probably spin it as "I love GB so much that I had all these meetings with the Jets and decided I couldn't leave.  I did all of this for the Packers organization and the fans!"

Nah...he's going to be a Jet unless a last minute suiter swoops in. 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I mean, I literally saw it months ago already and it's been discussed on here for a long time already. The contract itself is more complex than most, but it seemed pretty clear to me that it was designed to make him tradeable. That's the simplicity I see.

I personally never looked at the trade options until after the season, though. Most everyone else in the world didn't either.

Oh....you literally saw it months ago.  Okay.  

But not when it was signed.  

It's a simple contract now.  Now that it has been talked about to death and there is a chance Rodgers might be moved.

But if it was that easy to see, it would have been reported on a ton when it was signed as being a win/win for the player and the organization.  Instead the contract was viewed as giving all the power to the player.

Just now, Pugger said:

Is NY really only a decent QB away from the SB?  This is what Rodgers should consider more than anything else.  If not AR may decide to stay in familiar surroundings.  I just hope if this happens he isn't booed at home games in 2203.

I don’t think anybody would boo a 200+ year old QB.

• Like 3

Just now, TransientTexan said:

It’s not just 16m for 1 year of AR. There’s another $43.7m of prorations from the option bonus on top of that, which would accelerate onto their cap when he would leave in 2024.

His hit in 2024 would be 31m, another great value. 2025 and 2026 are dummy years, which yes would have some dead cap. That's the NFL now thanks to Covid, any start player has dead cap tacked on to a teams cap for years they aren't expected to be on the roster. This isn't a negative to anyone like it would've been prior to Covid, these are the waters everyone navigates now. 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's very clear the purpose of the extension was to have Aaron retire a Packer, but our FO feels like they didn't get what they paid for. Props to them for having a contract structured so it's easily moved on from, I mean 16m cap hit for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is absurd value. The option bonus gives them an opportunity to essentially purchase value back from the acquiring team, I don't see what your obstinance to admit this is. 

This ^

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Barry performed better than Rodgers without his star EDGE rusher. Didn’t allow 21 points in the final five games.

Twice his defense held the top 5 Lions offense under 21 points. The top 5 offense, worst defense. Rodgers scored 25 points total in those two games.

Aaron’s final 5 games he wasn’t above a QB rating of 96 once. He had 5 total touchdowns and 3 interceptions in his final 5 games.

So your opinion is wrong.

Damnit man....there's a moratorium on Rodgers playing poorly posts right now.  The Jets are watching......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I certainly don't think so and furthermore think he'd be nuts to go to the AFC. It's why I think this is more about the "wooing" for him than any honest consideration of playing there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Exactly what I expect

Like a lot of your posts Mr. Anonymous but you are way off base on this one.  Rodgers wouldn't meet with the Jets if he's planning on coming back to GB.  Discussions have been had and both sides agreed to move on.  This probably occurred well before his "Darkness Retreat".  Rodgers will not be playing for the Packers next season mark it down. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Do the reading.  We talked about it 

Final musings

This is all probably too much information, sorry about that. For me, there are three clear takeaways:

• We cannot cut Rodgers.
  • It will be very hard to find a trade partner, and if we do, the haul will probably be a lot lower than many of you expect. With a choice of 60M for one year or 110M for two years plus all the questions about this year's performance, I think we'd be lucky to see a first rounder.
  • If Rodgers does not want to retire and we find no trade partners, the Packers are pretty much doomed. We'd be forced to carry him next year with a 31M cap hit and be saddled with a colossal dead cap of 68M in 2024, assuming we get rid of him then.

Honestly, I always liked Gute but looking at the details of this contract, it's extremely hard to defend it. This contract will single handedly destroy the Packers for the next 2-3 years unless Rodgers retires or we find a trade partner.

Didn't find anything in the original about how great this contract is for trading Rodgers....

You know, on November 1 of 2022.  When the contract was signed in March of 2022.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I mean 16m cap hit for 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is absurd value. The option bonus gives them an opportunity to essentially purchase value back from the acquiring team, I don't see what your obstinance to admit this is.

cash? or cap hit?

I'm really only objecting to this deal being some masterstroke of tradability that is somehow netting us all these special considerations.

The two separate option bonuses are muddying the waters and it's an albatross for the acquiring team because it creates this future cap problem once he's gone so the acquiring team needs to know if he's in for 2+ years.  If they had just given him 2 year 100M with 2x void years or 3 years 150M with 2x void years they are in the exact same situation they're in right now without that hangup.