Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

no, it wouldn't have.

it's easy to see the earth is round now because we all have a new perspective.

just like it's easy to see how tradeable the contract is now that everyone is thinking about Rodgers being traded.

It certainly makes a rebuild possible in a shorter time frame while giving the acquiring team a nice 2 year window.  The pain of it is the $40m dead cap hit to trade him and the fact he costs more to trade than to keep.  It doesn't mesh well with the rest of the cap strategy and the Aaron Jones re-do along with all the basic restructurings they did with Bak and others to create room.

They had a real good chance to build back better, but Gute/MLF are playing for their jobs next 2 years it feels like rather than for the long term success. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Then it really isn't that easy to see, as you have suggested.  

Or you would have suggested it waaaay back when.

there are many many many easy/simple things that get overlooked because of perspective, my man

you can use this as a future example when you explain the phenomenon to someone else in the future :)

2 minutes ago, berndt_toast said:

If the whole shebang is going, it's pretty much a done deal.

Until it's not a done deal.   You'd have to think that things are pretty serious to get this far.  You'd think they would be flying him to their facilities for a visit, but maybe that's not the way AR rolls.  He's probably going to take the Jets contingent whale watching or some place to get their butthole's tanned.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

It certainly makes a rebuild possible in a shorter time frame while giving the acquiring team a nice 2 year window.  The pain of it is the $40m dead cap hit to trade him and the fact he costs more to trade than to keep.  It doesn't mesh well with the rest of the cap strategy and the Aaron Jones re-do along with all the basic restructurings they did with Bak and others to create room.

They had a real good chance to build back better, but Gute/MLF are playing for their jobs next 2 years it feels like rather than for the long term success. 

Gute took a gamble on Rodgers with the contract. It didn't work out, because AR didn't commit as expected. That was ultimately a bad business decision. HOWEVER, I see the logic of it, and they did a good job giving themselves flexibility on the cap/compensation by structuring it so his cap hits to a trading team for 2 years are ridiculously appealing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Then it really isn't that easy to see, as you have suggested.  

Or you would have suggested it waaaay back when.

the contract was and is structured in a way that is cap cheap in 2022/23, with an option in 2024 to keep riding that wave.  It was meant to be that way so the Packers could make a final push - and it will be that way for the acquiring team as well.

If he does get traded, Packers will have to pay for half of the deferred money they pushed back in 2022 now, and the acquiring team will get that same window with the crippling dead money in the later years.

• Like 1

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Until it's not a done deal.   You'd have to think that things are pretty serious to get this far.  You'd think they would be flying him to their facilities for a visit, but maybe that's not the way AR rolls.  He's probably going to take the Jets contingent whale watching or some place to get their butthole's tanned.

No no no, you tan the perineum and bleach the butthole.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned Corey Davis (WR) in the trade.  Thought I'd look up their roster on Spotrac and see if they have good players that are tradeable.

Mosely, ILB, is their biggest cap hit at 21.4M.  They gain 7.5M of cap space if he is gone.  No interest in ILB.

Tomlinson, G, is their second biggest.  They lose money if he is traded.  No interest in a G.

Lawson, DE, is their third biggest.  He's tradeable.  No real dead money there at all.

Reed, CB, is their fourth biggest.  They save over 8M if he's traded.  And I don't know who the heck he is.

Franklin-Myers, DE, is their 5th biggest.  They save 11M if he's traded.  Not sure if he's good or not.

Duane Brown...LT, saves them a little under 6M if he's traded.  No thanks, he's ancient.

Corey Davis, WR, they save about 10.5M if he's traded.  No real guaranteed money left.

Then you get to Q Williams, Z Wilson and guys like that that aren't being traded.

Although, Elijah Moore would cost them 500k to trade.

Of that list, if we have to acquire someone, I think it's one of the two WR's.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

the contract was and is structured in a way that is cap cheap in 2022/23, with an option in 2024 to keep riding that wave.  It was meant to be that way so the Packers could make a final push - and it will be that way for the acquiring team as well.

If he does get traded, Packers will have to pay for half of the deferred money they pushed back in 2022 now, and the acquiring team will get that same window with the crippling dead money in the later years.

If that jets staff wastes 2023 and 2024, they wont be around in 2025. If they make it to an afc championship, they probably survive the pair of dead years on a rebuild. 

Ol Rodg is meeting with the Jets for the same reason he met with Packer brass before we gave him that insane grossly overpaid contract with the power that came with it.   He wants to see if he can fool yet another team, how much power will they give him and are they going to load up best they can with talent around him.  That’s why the meeting is happening.  Green Bay is taking as much of that power away as they can.  Making him play within the system and knowing he will be competing throughout the season just to stay on the field.  When they bow to him he’ll agree to a re-structure.  That’s my take.  The Packer brass are done bowing.  Sadly it has cost the team greatly.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

there are many many many easy/simple things that get overlooked because of perspective, my man

you can use this as a future example when you explain the phenomenon to someone else in the future :)

True.

Oh wait.  False.

You are usually so intuned to these things, though.  I'm really surprised that this trade feature and buying into better picks escaped you when that contract was signed.  And for many months afterwards.

I mean, you have long defended Gute.  And this contract is kind of one of those things that is a very clear mark against the front office.  I know I missed the trade portion of that deal and the buying into better picks things.  And I enjoy defending Gute, too.

But, I guess let's see what happens.  If the trade happens, how much of it is eaten and what our return is.

Oh.  Wait.  False.  We don't have to wait.  Because it isn't going to happen.  Because the contract is that bad and because our front office is full of idiots.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Gute took a gamble on Rodgers with the contract. It didn't work out, because AR didn't commit as expected. That was ultimately a bad business decision. HOWEVER, I see the logic of it, and they did a good job giving themselves flexibility on the cap/compensation by structuring it so his cap hits to a trading team for 2 years are ridiculously appealing.

yeah it's super back loaded with some hefty robbing peter to pay paul for the next 2 years.  I think it could work out great for the Jets

Packers really seem split on their plan right now though - they are dumping the guy who they built the whole plan around, but also sticking to the same Rodgers plan with Love?  They made all of these other salary moves in 2023 with an eye on competing now, but now they don't have the guy with an expiring career to justify them.  

They created like $20M in dead cap void years/extra cap charges in 2025 to open up room in 2023 and... why again?  So they can be old and tapped out in Love's 3rd season?  Don't like it.

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

@Sandy is the first one to comment in that Aaron Rodgers contract thread concerning a trade.  November 21. 

8 months after the contract was signed.  Interestingly enough, there was no mention about "buying into" a better draft pick.

@OneTwoSixFive makes this mention and gets 4 likes....on Nov. 22.  As for the trade him for what you can get supporters, That contract coupled with his play this year, means he may well be untradeable, never mind how low the compensation that is asked for.

And I'm 7 pages into that thread...still no mention of how brilliant that contract is because it can be bought into better draft picks.  

you sure got quiet after page 8

maybe because on page 9 (December 2, 2022) I posted this:

"Guys, what if we look at this contract from management perspective:

Did we give ourselves the option to buy better draft compensation? 

Will Rodgers in a trade be far more valuable with us eating a big piece of his contract? Acquiring team gets Rodgers in discount is REALLY attractive. We eat big dead cap hit in Love's cheap year and get significant draft capital."