Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

56 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Did some internet searching on option bonuses.  Some links for those interested.

https://frontofficenfl.com/2017/03/10/nfl-contracts-explained-option-bonus/

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-salary-cap-terms-tricks-to-know-ahead-of-nfl-free-agency-2021

Key concept:  

Option bonus: Gives a team (or, at times, a player) the ability to exercise the current or future years of the contract by paying a bonus. Prorated over the life of the contract (like a signing bonus, up to a max of five seasons).

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. 

If I'm reading this right, Rodgers' cap hit will not reflect any of the $58.3m option bonus until it's activated and prorated. Which means we don't need to clear $59m in cap space just to trade him. 

This means that we have $14.575m more in cap space than OTC is reporting. 

We do still need to clear about $25m to cover his dead cap charge (should he be traded) plus more for re-signings, draft picks, etc. But this does make trading him a lot easier than I thought it would be.

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

If I'm reading this right, Rodgers' cap hit will not reflect any of the $58.3m option bonus until it's activated and prorated. Which means we don't need to clear $59m in cap space just to trade him. 

We do still need to clear about $25m to cover his dead cap charge (should he be traded) plus more for re-signings, draft picks, etc. But this does make trading him a lot easier than I thought it would be.

That's not necessarily a good thing. The higher the charge we have to eat vs the receiving team, the higher we can ask for in draft capital.

22 minutes ago, Sandy said:

It all depends on when GB decides to exercise the bonus.  But that is how I am understanding the option bonus 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That's not necessarily a good thing. The higher the charge we have to eat vs the receiving team, the higher we can ask for in draft capital.

Agreed.  I think that becomes the negotiation part for a possible trade of Rodgers.  How much a prospective team is willing to take on vs GB.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If we don't have to squeeze $104m into our cap over the next two seasons, they can keep the draft picks.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

Agreed.  I think that becomes the negotiation part for a possible trade of Rodgers.  How much a prospective team is willing to take on vs GB.

Not certain I agree with that sentiment. Rodgers has already said he'd renegotiate his contract to free up money.

Hell, Denver gave up the world for Wilson, then turned around and gave him a brinks truck full of cash. Teams know they are going to have to pay Rodgers elite money, even if he's not elite anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Not certain I agree with that sentiment. Rodgers has already said he'd renegotiate his contract to free up money.

Hell, Denver gave up the world for Wilson, then turned around and gave him a brinks truck full of cash. Teams know they are going to have to pay Rodgers elite money, even if he's not elite anymore. 

Wilson had 2 years remaining on his contract. Rodgers has 4 years remaining. 

The disaster that Wilson became for Denver may limit Rodgers trade value

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

You guys are saying waller is worse than our TEs which is completely false. To think otherwise you'd literally have to be brain dead. 

Adams is a HOF player to say Watson will be better next year than Adams is idiotic. Your username as bad as your takez

LOL .. to each their own.  Adams has been a great player in the past, Watson looks to be a great player in the future.  *** for tat .. nobody really knows until next year. 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Wilson had 2 years remaining on his contract. Rodgers has 4 years remaining. 

The disaster that Wilson became for Denver may limit Rodgers trade value

From Pete Dougherty's latest column .. he pooled some front office folks and they basically said this.

All four front-office executives consulted this week – three with teams, plus a former GM who still works in NFL circles – predicted the Packers would get at least a first-round pick. Three thought they’d get another pick as well.

One said a first-rounder and a third-rounder that could escalate to a second based on Rodgers’ performance in ’23. Another said a first-rounder and a third- or fourth-rounder. Another said a first-rounder and flip-flop of picks after the first round. And the other said a first-rounder straight up as long as the pick wasn’t near the top of the round.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2023/01/25/what-might-the-green-bay-packers-get-if-they-trade-aaron-rodgers/69837051007/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

What do you guys think a potential Rodgers trade would look like in terms of compensation for the Packers?

With Vegas I'm sure the initial asking price will be your first straight up with some later picks/ pick swaps. I'd settle for a swap of 1sts and your 24 first or your 2nd and a 24 1st.   

17 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I doubt Seattle is in play.  Geno is a FA and they want him to return.  They also have Drew Lock who they wanted in the Wilson trade.  They also have the 5th pick so a top QB could be an option if they like someone.  Seattle has options.

They'd rather have Rodgers than Geno.  And Drew Lock?  Uh....

But that 5'th pick?  I had forgotten about that.  To me it makes sense to have either Rodgers or Smith for a few years while they groom a QB of the future that could be taken with that 5'th pick.  

Thanks for reminding me!