Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

From a franchise point of view, Packers need the trade more than Jets.  If the Jets don't get him it will be very embarassing. But from a franchise point of view, there is a way around it - you probably just have to start Zac who will be ultra motivated and assuming it doesn't work draft one next year. You probably lose a year but its not catastrophic.

If Packers don't get a trade done then its going to be pretty catestrophic. Not sure what they do - you can't obliterate the salary cap whilst having him as 3rd string or something. Surely they can't play him.  Don't think cutting is an option - there is no real option to a trade at this point. You might have to give him away for a conditional 7th  if it got to roster cut down day.

The whole thing is a bit daft on both sides. How did they not sort out a deal before hand. Its nuts.

I'll agree with this on the GB side if we get to mid August and the trade is still pending.

I think you are greatly understating the fallout on the Jets side if their season goes off the rails after a failed Rodgers trade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Got to at least get pick #43 from them this year.  Even that would be underwhelming. 

Not enough.  Think Packers could be holding firm on #1 this year and maybe a conditional #2 that could escalate to a #1 if Rodgers returns in 2024.  Yah seems  high but considering what Rodgers brings to the table not really.  All this talk of a 3rd round pick is Jets fans dreaming.  OK so what's fair?  Probably a swap of 1st rounders and #43 this year.  Conditional #2  if Rodgers plays in 2024.  That's a good deal for the Jets and probably on the low end for the Packers.  Jets may have to throw in a player. This assumes no money involved.  Whatever speculation is endless.  We'll just have to wait and see.  Rodgers showcase on NFL network playing the Jets.  Kumerow just scored a TD.  

Edited by Scoremore

Question for the masses:

Do you think Rodgers personality and off field activities had anything to do with the Packers decision to move him?

No, not at all. It was Love, Rodgers declined play and contract.

Maybe, a little bit,  his exhausting ways didn't help

Yes, dude is getting weird

Your thoughts?  Add your own category if you choose.

• Like 1

It doesn't sound like the Jets wants to give us their 2023 1st round pick because if they did the trade would've been completed by now.

There is a compromise that allows us to get substantial picks providing Rodgers does not retire next year.
At a minimum:

2023 2nd round pick
2024 1st round pick (if reaches superbowl or Rodgers doesn't retire) or 3rd round pick (If Rodgers retires)

The jets would take on Rodgers contract and give up little if he retires after one season. We get him off the books and gain some useful compensation. We win they win.

If the Jets reaches the superbowl or Rodgers chooses not to retire then we get a first round pick out of it thus making the trade more substantial for us and the Jets benefits from at least two years of high level QB play that may or may not result in a superbowl win. I think the Jets would be willing to give up a first round pick in this scenario.

Edited by Chili

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

Do you think Rodgers personality and off field activities had anything to do with the Packers decision to move him?

It's a culmination of things to include his off the field stuff. I think the two bigger issues were his failures in big games and his running his version of MFL's offense rather than MFL's offense. 

HIs problem is the same as Favre's, his ego got too big. 

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

I think you’re right. However his rolling eyes at and cursing at guys he sees as making mistakes gets real old. Seems very passive aggressive.

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's a culmination of things to include his off the field stuff. I think the two bigger issues were his failures in big games and his running his version of MFL's offense rather than MFL's offense. 

HIs problem is the same as Favre's, his ego got too big. 

I thought because he observed Favre being a diva he would end up different. They ended up way more the same than different. 

edit - in terms of ego. I think Brett’s morals are worse. Rodgers is just weird.

Edited by packerstk7

6 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

AR's personality, age, performance and potential replacement are all factors. 

It's not as complicated as people want it to be.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

It doesn't sound like the Jets wants to give us their 2023 1st round pick because if they did the trade would've been completed by now.

There is a compromise that allows us to get substantial picks providing Rodgers does not retire next year. At a minimum:

2023 2nd round pick
2024 1st round pick (if reaches superbowl or Rodgers doesn't retire) or 3rd round pick (If Rodgers retires)

The jets would take on Rodgers contract and give up little if he retires after one season. We get him off the books and gain some useful compensation. We win they win.

If the Jets reaches the superbowl or Rodgers chooses not to retire then we get a first round pick out of it thus making the trade more substantial for us and the Jets benefits from at least two years of high level QB play that may or may not result in a superbowl win. I think the Jets would be willing to give up a first round pick in this scenario.

That may have been fair before the owner opened his big mouth and offered, he'd pay 2 -1FRPs. 

If the Jets FRP is off the table, in their opinion, for 2023, the Packers can wait this out until it's either in the trade or somebody else comes knocking. Don't rule that out. Not wishing it but players get hurt all the time in the off season and suddenly you have to make a move. 

What if Indy is sitting at pick 4 and someone slides in front of them at Arizona's spot to grab a quarterback. They may not be in love with Will Levis and want a solution this this year. They have made desperate moves at QB two years in a row. Their owner is not the smartest guy and likes the headlines/spotlight. 

Rodgers is one heck of a consolation prize for all but about 10 teams in this league.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Agreed.  Jets holding ontil pick 13.  Once that pick is made, the dynamics change a bit.

There is a compromise that allows us to get substantial picks providing Rodgers does not retire next year.
At a minimum:

2023 2nd round pick

I want the future picks tied to Rodgers play in 2023, not the team's success.  Games played or % snaps played.  That is the asset in consideration, the team's success has too many variables to reduce that pick value.

The retirement piece should influence 2025.  Rodgers could "retire" pre draft then unretire past draft and GB loses pick value...so that needs work.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That may have been fair before the owner opened his big mouth and offered, he'd pay 2 -1FRPs. 

If the Jets FRP is off the table, in their opinion, for 2023, the Packers can wait this out until it's either in the trade or somebody else comes knocking. Don't rule that out. Not wishing it but players get hurt all the time in the off season and suddenly you have to make a move. 

What if Indy is sitting at pick 4 and someone slides in front of them at Arizona's spot to grab a quarterback. They may not be in love with Will Levis and want a solution this this year. They have made desperate moves at QB two years in a row. Their owner is not the smartest guy and likes the headlines/spotlight. 

Rodgers is one heck of a consolation prize for all but about 10 teams in this league.

Agreed.  Draft gets interesting if some teams miss out on a QB and see Rodgers potentially costing a less than what might have been perceived.

If Washington or Atlanta gets left out of rookie QB's or a team like Seattle or Detroit take a rookie, then it becomes a numbers game.

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I want the future picks tied to Rodgers play in 2023, not the team's success.  Games played or % snaps played.  That is the asset in consideration, the team's success has too many variables to reduce that pick value.

I am torn on this.  Part of me would rather have future compensation linked to some combination of Rodgers performance and team success just because I assume the Jets would almost certainly agree to a higher ceiling on compensation using that model, and I think the Jets ceiling is pretty high with a motivated Rodgers at QB.

Edited by Mazrimiv

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Indianapolis is one heck of a wild card that might be worth holding off the trade until draft day. We might come out of it better with a #4 FRP instead of #13 (if it's even on the table).

Does Aaron Rodgers have trade veto written into his contract?

Edited by Chili