Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

36 minutes ago, craig said:

Mike, I agree with your logic.  Jets are all-in for now, so very reluctant to trade #13.  I think for us to expect #13 plus other stuff, that's just not realistic for a 39-guy who may perhaps be a 1-year rental with cap problems after this year.  

I think it's totally reasonable to look for more value in the next draft than in this one.  And to have contingencies for those picks, depending on multiple variables (retirement, playoffs, snaps....).

That just seems way more practical, and acceptable to the Jets.  And it would be fine with me.  *IF* we get a 3rd or a 2nd this year, but might get a contingent 1st and maybe more next year, I don't see that as unreasonable.  

Just giving him up for a 2nd with only "what ifs" next year isn't getting any return for Rodgers.  If they do that, the only thing that should count is if he plays not how far they go.  And, the compensation better be significant!

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Just giving him up for a 2nd with only "what ifs" next year isn't getting any return for Rodgers.  If they do that, the only thing that should count is if he plays not how far they go.  And, the compensation better be significant!

I agree that any conditions need to be linked to Rodgers. Not the jets team success.

percent of snaps taken, pass attempts, playing in 2024, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craig said:

The "90% retired" was hyperbole. 

But I'd be surprised if Rodgers promised two years.  He's been going on a year-by-year basis.  So, I don't imagine he gave a super-strong promise that he's in for 2 (or 3) years.  

My thought, here, is that a change of scenery with a better defense and more weapons, this could be super energizing for him.  The energy and buzz will be exciting, and he probably won't want to give it up after only one year.   (Unless he wins it all, or has a terrible year and realizes it's hopeless there, too.). 

Running it back in Green Bay, yet again, had zero appeal.  Boring.  He's heard every boring play-design idea that MLF has, and motivational speech .  He knows every media person in the room.  Boring.  He knows the team wasn't good, with no resources to get better, SB-window closed.  Nothing energizing about running it back for another failure season in Green Bay, with few friends left to share the journey.  

But a fresh start in a new market with a new coach and a new talented team, super energizing!  How could it not be?  New coach, new ideas.  Hackett welcomes Rodgers' play-design ideas, and his vision is not the same as MLF's boring run-oriented offense.  Fun to join a team you think has a really good defense, with SB-window open *IF* you're as good as the MVP-caliber guy you still think you are.  All new coaches and teammates, new personalities and senses of humor to learn.  A new room of media personalities offers a challenge to charm and impress them, another energizing challenge for a guy who thinks he's the smart guy in the league.  Adrenaline rush for his first presser in New York, way more buzz than with the same old crowd in Green Bay. 

Turning the page could be great for him, and I doubt he'll want to give that up after one more season.  

Agree, the relationship became stale.  Time for both parties to move on.

Jets ripping on this even

Those where his last years with Hackett, Rodgers will throw for 4000 yds 35 TDs and 7 picks in 2023 for the Jets.

So 2023 2nd,  2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if ARod has 11’O QB Rating and plays 12+ games and a 2025 2nd if he plays in 2024.

Fair for all.

Expand  

Fair for GB is what you mean

18 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I agree that any conditions need to be linked to Rodgers. Not the jets team success.

percent of snaps taken, pass attempts, playing in 2024, etc.

Not even percent of snaps, pass attempts, etc.  If he gets hurt, that affects the compensation.  If he starts out with the Jets in 2024 and plays period, they pay up and it had better be significant.  

10 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Jets ripping on this even

Those where his last years with Hackett, Rodgers will throw for 4000 yds 35 TDs and 7 picks in 2023 for the Jets.

So 2023 2nd,  2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if ARod has 11’O QB Rating and plays 12+ games and a 2025 2nd if he plays in 2024.

Fair for all.

Expand  

Fair for GB is what you mean

No stipulations on how well he does with the Jets should be in consideration for compensation in 2024.   The question is/was "will he play for more than 1 year".  If he does, much more compensation for him playing .. period.  That's the question .. the results how he does doesn't matter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

No stipulations on how well he does with the Jets should be in consideration for compensation in 2024.   The question is/was "will he play for more than 1 year".  If he does, much more compensation for him playing .. period.  That's the question .. the results how he does doesn't matter.

problem with if Rodgers will play in 2024, that decision may not come until after the 2024 draft.  Jets would want protection on the 2024 pick if rodgers decides to retire, but announces it in may or June.  GB would want protections on a "retire --> unretire" dynamic on any 2024 draft picks

I dont mind Rodgers, I appreciate his game and I'll continue to root for him just like I did with Woodson, Hyde, Matthew's on down the line after being traded.

Now if there are trade conditions involved, that changes EVERYTHING.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Would have been a great question… to see Rodgers dance around that. Haha

Rodgers would probably have gone back to his darkness retreat.

I actually wish the Packers management gives the Jets an ultimatum and goes into their own darkness retreat. They come out and if the Jets don't match their ask, just say that we thought about this in our retreat and feel like Rodgers should retire as a Packer since we feel he is being disrespected by the value the Jets are offering for him.

Just kidding ofcourse but I think the Packers (and Jets) staying mum about what is offered vs what they ask is leading to just wild speculations.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

certain topics were probably off limits.

Which is fine but Pat loves to rag on every other type of media for doing pretty much the exact same thing but for a different type of party.  Totally fine but have to remember going into it that it's literally a Rodgers led PR segment, and that Pat will back up Aaron every way possible(500k+ live stream this week for the decision show).

He's a players mouth piece, which is better I guess but he's still never going to say something that would risk Aaron coming on again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont mind Rodgers, I appreciate his game and I'll continue to root for him just like I did with Woodson, Hyde, Matthew's on down the line after being traded.

Now if there are trade conditions involved, that changes EVERYTHING.

lol, this was the exact reasoning for the entire Philly area to tune into Colts games after Wentz was traded and if he played a % of the snaps or something the pick turned into a an additional 2nd round pick I believe. They used one of them from this transaction to move up to draft Heisman winner Smith at receiver, then doubled down and traded a 1st for Brown the following year.

• Like 1