Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

I went to Taco Bell and after I ordered I said "Not going to lie, I want 20 to 30 mild sauce packets." and there was a long pause but then the microphone person said " I gotchu". I was very pleased when I got them. I hope we get a lot of picks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

problem with if Rodgers will play in 2024, that decision may not come until after the 2024 draft.  Jets would want protection on the 2024 pick if rodgers decides to retire, but announces it in may or June.  GB would want protections on a "retire --> unretire" dynamic on any 2024 draft picks

If that's how it's played .. even more compensation for the delay.  Point being, put it in any way they see fit but if he plays more than 1 year the Packers get more draft picks.

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Don't know if there's any validity to this, but it's an interesting take. It would mean no draft picks from the Jets this year, but perhaps a Jets wide receiver could be part of the compensation?

If you're the Packers, why would you want Rodgers' cap hit spread over the next 2 seasons rather than eating it all this season?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If you're the Packers, why would you want Rodgers' cap hit spread over the next 2 seasons rather than eating it all this season?

I'd prefer they pay it all this year, but if they get past June 2 they can take a look at the market and see if there are any free agent bargains out there. If there are they could split it up.

I’m all about getting fair value but the Org. cornered itself with the contract.  I say recognize the value of moving ON and take a bit less if necessary because he’s just a cancer in the building now.   Can’t have that cancer for another 11 weeks. 

(and let AR deal with the NY media asking him why GB sold him as close-out). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Starchisaga said:

I’m all about getting fair value but the Org. cornered itself with the contract.  I say recognize the value of moving ON and take a bit less if necessary because he’s just a cancer in the building now.   Can’t have that cancer for another 11 weeks. 

(and let AR deal with the NY media asking him why GB sold him as close-out). 

Agree with this, and at some point couldn't Rodgers simply say "trade me by this day or I am retiring"?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure they would. But one reason they might is that some are projecting the salary cap will be as much as 30 million higher in 2024.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

It doesn't really matter.  The extra dead cap is less rollover.  Splitting it means GB rolls over more from 23 into 24.  

The total dead cap is the same.

7 hours ago, craig said:

Mike, I agree with your logic.  Jets are all-in for now, so very reluctant to trade #13.  I think for us to expect #13 plus other stuff, that's just not realistic for a 39-guy who may perhaps be a 1-year rental with cap problems after this year.  

I think it's totally reasonable to look for more value in the next draft than in this one.  And to have contingencies for those picks, depending on multiple variables (retirement, playoffs, snaps....).

That just seems way more practical, and acceptable to the Jets.  And it would be fine with me.  *IF* we get a 3rd or a 2nd this year, but might get a contingent 1st and maybe more next year, I don't see that as unreasonable.  

I don't hate the idea that the Jets are making the 13th pick untouchable.  I really don't.  I'd do the same thing if I were the Jets.  That's the best chance of adding a blue chip to the puzzle.  But the notion that it's only going to cost what the Jets deem as "extra" is fascinating.  I believe I saw one Jets' fan say that they'd offer a 3rd round pick and a conditional Day 3 pick in 2024.  That's not a serious offer, especially after Matt Ryan fetched a 3rd round pick from the Colts the year before.

And I come from the belief that if you don't want to offer much now, be prepared to offer more in the future.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

It doesn't really matter.  The extra dead cap is less rollover.  Splitting it means GB rolls over more from 23 into 24.  

The total dead cap is the same.

I wasn't arguing that it was different.  I'm saying if you're the Packers, you probably view the 2023 season as a "lost cause" and your biggest goal is to make sure Love succeeds.  Anything beyond that is just a cherry on top.  I really wouldn't be surprised if our first 3 picks were all used on offensive players.  I think there's a very real chance that we end up taking JSN, Darnell Washington, and an OL with our first 3 picks.

• Like 1