Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

It doesn't really matter.  The extra dead cap is less rollover.  Splitting it means GB rolls over more from 23 into 24.  

The total dead cap is the same.

Helpful point, squire.  Splitting it, were that to happen, would not need to deplete 24 cash by anything or by much.  I don't know how much a "split" could divide it; instead of 40 this year could it be 20-20?  Or could even more than 20 then get split back into 24?  

Either way, if it works out where it's better to take on 36 this year and push 4 back to next year, it's no big deal.  Or taking on 20 this year, while pushing 20 in underspent cash to next year to cover the extra 20 cap hit then, what's the harm?  Just gives you a little more flexibility.  

3 other possible factors:

1. The note suggested that *IF* Gute did this, it could incentivize the Jets to pay a little more to hustle it up.  If one piece becomes a 2nd instead of a 3rd, that would be nice.
  2. As mentioned by others, if Jets need to pay zero 23-draft picks, how would return change in Gute's favor?  With some cap space made available, then perhaps he could take back a salaried play from jets that he likes?  That he couldn't fit if trade is made tomorrow?
  3. And/or get a richer collection of draft picks in 24 (and 25?).  Given the principle that for all-in-now Jets, surrendering picks in 24 (and 25) will be more distant and less painful.

55 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Word in NY & NJ is Arron Rodgers wants to go into the HOF, as a JET.

Clearly, you either know nothing about the NFL Hall of Fame or you are a troll. Which one is it? 

Players don't go into the Hall of Fame representing a certain team. 

We should turn our attention away from getting pick #13 and instead try to get Jermaine Johnson.   He's got three years left on his deal and a 5th year option.  He'd fill a critical need for the Packers now.  Rich Cimini mentions the possibility in the link below. We could then use pick #15 on offense.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/91530/examining-the-challenges-of-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-between-jets-packers

1 hour ago, craig said:

Trey Wingo said his understanding was that the "wish list" story wasn't real.  

Rodgers said he discussed players he'd like with the Jets.  He said he didn't hand them a list and demand they get these players.   

I believe he's committed to the Jets as far as you can be without officially being a Jet yet and his alleged demands haven't been fulfilled yet except for Lazard.  I dont see those as demands but each person can decide.

What I do find funny is Rodgers reportedly bitched about his weapons over the years in Green Bay and now he reportedly wants many of those same weapons in NY.  I wish him well, but he's just too high maintenance. JMO.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Rodgers said he discussed players he'd like with the Jets.  He said he didn't hand them a list and demand they get these players.   

I believe he's committed to the Jets as far as you can be with officially being a Jet yet and his alleged demands haven't been fulfilled yet except for Lazard.  I dont see those as demands but each person can decide.

What I do find funny is Rodgers reportedly bitched about his weapons over the years in Green Bay and now he reportedly wants many of those same weapons in NY.  I wish him well, but he's just too high maintenance.

"He's a complicated fella"....Thompson had a way of saying so much with so few words.

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

"He's a complicated fella"....Thompson had a way of saying so much with so few words.

I agree on TT and his less is more approach to speaking, but that quote about Rodgers was from Mark Murphy. 

*looking it up, I guess Murphy was saying Ted would use that line about Aaron and other players so was falling back on it when asked. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Word in NY & NJ is Arron Rodgers wants to go into the HOF, as a JET.

You don't go into the Pro Football hall of fame with a team.  That's baseball.  The reasons for this are structural- in the Baseball HoF you're wearing a hat in on your plaque with a hat on because baseball players wear hats.  In the Pro Football HoF you're not wearing a helmet on your bust- it's just your head.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Clearly, you either know nothing about the NFL Hall of Fame or you are a troll. Which one is it? 

Players don't go into the Hall of Fame representing a certain team. 

Also clearly didn’t listen to Rodgers… when he said GB will always be home.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We should turn our attention away from getting pick #13 and instead try to get Jermaine Johnson.   He's got three years left on his deal and a 5th year option.  He'd fill a critical need for the Packers now.  Rich Cimini mentions the possibility in the link below. We could then use pick #15 on offense.  

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/91530/examining-the-challenges-of-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-between-jets-packers

We could get Johnson, Moore and Ruckert and No Draft Picks and get BPA in the draft

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

For some reason, I was thinking Murphy said this of AR just a couple years ago. Perhaps he was quoting TT?

He was… Ted always told people that got annoyed with Rodgers to relax and that Rodgers is a complicated fella.

• Like 1