Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I wasn't arguing that it was different.  I'm saying if you're the Packers, you probably view the 2023 season as a "lost cause" and your biggest goal is to make sure Love succeeds.  Anything beyond that is just a cherry on top.  I really wouldn't be surprised if our first 3 picks were all used on offensive players.  I think there's a very real chance that we end up taking JSN, Darnell Washington, and an OL with our first 3 picks.

Splitting the cap hit allows more flexibility for in season moves.  Buying a player that someone wants to move is more doable with more cap space in 23

30 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Splitting the cap hit allows more flexibility for in season moves.  Buying a player that someone wants to move is more doable with more cap space in 23

Yes and because the cap grows...

if u add the total and divide by the sum of the two years salary cap, it is lower than the proportional cost of 23. Dollars are less valuable in 24

Edited by HokieHigh

10 hours ago, fattlipp said:

So if we play hardball and Rodgers forces his way back..

How does it really affect us,  we know the Jets go from 11-6 to 6-11

Us?  We have to trade Bak, Smith and Clark probably post June 1 to be compliant? Maybe Jones?

No, we gain almost $9m in cap space.

30 minutes ago, dafreak said:

This is a game that the Packers simply should not be interested in playing, for many reasons. 

I think the consensus here is that the packers are in a no-lose situation with the exception of taking a lowball offer before september. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think the consensus here is that the packers are in a no-lose situation with the exception of taking a lowball offer before september. 

From my experience no-lose situations always find a way to bit you in the ***....

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

No, we gain almost $9m in cap space.

I kinda mean in 2024, biggest concern is being able to extend Gary.

and woudnt we have to take on an option by the start of the season that would increase that number.

Edited by fattlipp

4 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean the downside for the Packers is probably "Rodgers retires and they get nothing in compensation".  But knowing how petty Rodgers is, this is pretty unlikely.   He's also not going to show up to OTAs, camps, etc. when he doesn't absolutely have to.

Wouldn't a petty Rodgers retire so Packers get nothing in compensation?

10 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I kinda mean in 2024, biggest concern is being able to extend Gary.

and woudnt we have to take on an option by the start of the season that would increase that number.

We'd start 2024 around net zero in cap space. Rodgers could retire or be traded, and a substantial dead hit (around $70m) would be split between 2024 and 2025. Since the cap goes up between $25m and $30m each of the next two offseasons, this is digestible. We can pretty easily clear about $70m in space next season, which is plenty of space to extend Gary and Love.

For the second question, no. Trading Rodgers gives him a 2023 cap hit of $40.3m. If we activate his option and keep him on the roster, his 2023 cap hit is only $31.6m.

• Like 1