Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

A lot of Jets fans are going to be very disappointed when they give up a 1st rounder lol. That or they’ll completely ignore their previous statements that there’s no way it’s for a 1st.

I think #13 is very important to the Packers. They kicked so much money into the future that they need those rookie contracts going forward until they can get all that dead money off the books. Plus they know they'll have to pay love if he hits. Four first rounders in two years would help this franchises future cap situation.

Peter Bukowski
@Peter_Bukowski

Also interesting one executive said he doesn’t think Gutekunst WANTS to trade Rodgers until post June 1 (for the cap savings) and that the Jets will have to incentivize the #Packers to do so.

Don't know if there's any validity to this, but it's an interesting take. It would mean no draft picks from the Jets this year, but perhaps a Jets wide receiver could be part of the compensation?

1 minute ago, Brat&Beer said:

Don't know if there's any validity to this, but it's an interesting take. It would mean no draft picks from the Jets this year, but perhaps a Jets wide receiver could be part of the compensation?

Makes sense.

Packers have an incentive to wait, Jets I would assume would want to get him in the building ASAP.  It's frustrating to have this situation keep dragging on but GB has no need to rush anything.  Money wise it doesn't matter until week one, right?

15 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I wanted to scoff at that at first reading, but that would be advantageous from a salary cap standpoint. Draft capital for this year would be a little complicated though. Still could be worked around.  

53 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I think #13 is very important to the Packers. They kicked so much money into the future that they need those rookie contracts going forward until they can get all that dead money off the books. Plus they know they'll have to pay love if he hits. Four first rounders in two years would help this franchises future cap situation.

Absolutely, it would be huge for the franchise. 

I honestly thought The Jets played this as poorly as they possibly could, and now they’re gotta have to pay up. 

• Like 1

I got a question for the Legal Beagles.

If Rodgers wanted to be petty (very, very petty)

Could he go to the Packers or Jets and say "I'm not signing anything unless the Packers are paying X amount of this contract" .   Im sure he likely doesn't care where it comes from, just that he gets it.

My question isn't would he do that, it's COULD he do that? Again it would be very  petty, and unlikely to happen, but just curious if he was really pissed if he could do that.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

I got a question for the Legal Beagles.

If Rodgers wanted to be petty (very, very petty)

Could he go to the Packers or Jets and say "I'm not signing anything unless the Packers are paying X amount of this contract" .   Im sure he likely doesn't care where it comes from, just that he gets it.

My question isn't would he do that, it's COULD he do that. Again it would be very  petty, and unlikely to happen, but just curious if he was really pissed if he could do that.

Tune in to The Pat Show next Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

Well, if the Jets won't make an offer the Packers won't refuse before the Draft, then the Packers probably don't want to trade him until after June 1st for cap reasons.

The Packers reasons to trade Rodgers between now and the draft are "to get picks in this draft"and the Packers reasons to trade Rodgers between April 28th and June 1st are nonexistent.

26 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, if the Jets won't make an offer the Packers won't refuse before the Draft, then the Packers probably don't want to trade him until after June 1st for cap reasons.

The Packers reasons to trade Rodgers between now and the draft are "to get picks in this draft"and the Packers reasons to trade Rodgers between April 28th and June 1st are nonexistent.

If a deal is reached after June 2 the Packers can shift their focus to Jets roster players for compensation this year and then snag a high pick or two from them in 2024.  Then at least we'd have a useful player or two to help us out immediately.