Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Someone remind me...what forced the Packers to give Rodgers a new contract when he was still under contract for 2-3 more years under his old deal?

Did Rodgers threaten to do something that forced the Packers to extend his contract to smooth things over?

Yah no crap.  I've been wondering that same thing for awhile now.  Think he was under contract for 2 more years their was no reason re-do his contract.  I guess they were desperate to get him back and bent over to make sure it happened.  Or it's my cahoots conspiracy theory. 

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Someone remind me...what forced the Packers to give Rodgers a new contract when he was still under contract for 2-3 more years under his old deal?

Did Rodgers threaten to do something that forced the Packers to extend his contract to smooth things over?

Not sure what it was other than GB trying to smooth things over with Rodgers for the 2022 season after Rodgers was back to back MVP. 

Rodgers wanted to see GB committed to him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Not sure what it was other than GB trying to smooth things over with Rodgers for the 2022 season after Rodgers was back to back MVP. 

Rodgers wanted to see GB committed to him.

but....the Packers were committed to him under his old contract.

Rodgers could whine all summer but there was nothing he could do. Play on his current deal or retire (or he could demand a trade which would've been very lucrative for us coming off two MVP seasons)

Somehow Rodgers with zero leverage was able to force the Packers to extend his contract and add lots of new guaranteed money. I remember at the time being surprised at that....why would the Packers put themselves in that situation? why allow themselves to lose their leverage.

Something happened last summer that isn't adding up. We're missing a crucial part of the equation.

Just now, Chili said:

but....the Packers were committed to him under his old contract.

Agree.  Not sure why GB did the new deal.

Just now, Chili said:

Rodgers could whine all summer but there was nothing he could do. Play on his current deal or retire (or he could demand a trade which would've been very lucrative for us coming off two MVP seasons)

Could be Love wasn't ready, so appeasing Rodgers was the play.

Just now, Chili said:

Somehow Rodgers with zero leverage was able to force the Packers to extend his contract and add lots of new guaranteed money. I remember at the time being surprised at that....why would the Packers put themselves in that situation? why allow themselves to lose their leverage.

Something happened last summer that isn't adding up. We're missing a crucial part of the equation.

Agreed and not sure other than the above that Love wasn't ready and GB lacking the balls at that time to hold firm on the existing contract vs doing an extension 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

I still think 2024 picks might be the way forward and forget this year's draft. ...

A 2024 1st is considered a 2023 2nd.  ...

Packers are supposedly building for future ...so really a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick. For us, a 2023 pick shouldn't be worth more than a 2024 pick.

The issue is Jets may pick later in 2024. So you throw in conditional extra picks if Jets make the play-offs. If they do that which devalues the pick/s they send then we get extra stuff.

Mike, I agree with your logic.  Jets are all-in for now, so very reluctant to trade #13.  I think for us to expect #13 plus other stuff, that's just not realistic for a 39-guy who may perhaps be a 1-year rental with cap problems after this year.  

I think it's totally reasonable to look for more value in the next draft than in this one.  And to have contingencies for those picks, depending on multiple variables (retirement, playoffs, snaps....).

That just seems way more practical, and acceptable to the Jets.  And it would be fine with me.  *IF* we get a 3rd or a 2nd this year, but might get a contingent 1st and maybe more next year, I don't see that as unreasonable.  

24 minutes ago, Chili said:

Simple… GB wasn’t where they are now with Jordan, confidence wise, Rodgers had the hammer and wanted control.

So to keep things good with Rodgers for 2022, they did a deal that gave Rodgers “control over his future”. Because it put some hurt to GB in different aspects.

Basically because GB wasn’t ready for Love in 22 they had to do this deal with Rodgers. The other option was to just risk it with Love and get what you get. In hindsight they should have given the results Rodgers delivered. But I’m assuming they still felt like the roster was Super Bowl worthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green19 said:

Simple… GB wasn’t where they are now with Jordan, confidence wise, Rodgers had the hammer and wanted control.

So to keep things good with Rodgers for 2022, they did a deal that gave Rodgers “control over his future”. Because it put some hurt to GB in different aspects.

Basically because GB wasn’t ready for Love in 22 they had to do this deal with Rodgers. The other option was to just risk it with Love and get what you get. In hindsight they should have given the results Rodgers delivered. But I’m assuming they still felt like the roster was Super Bowl worthy.

Nothing stopping the Packers from trading Rodgers and bring in a bridge QB whilst we wait for Love to develop.

That was an option.

The Packers had all the leverage and yet somehow Rodgers had them by the balls.

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Agree.  Not sure why GB did the new deal.

Could be Love wasn't ready, so appeasing Rodgers was the play.

Agreed and not sure other than the above that Love wasn't ready and GB lacking the balls at that time to hold firm on the existing contract vs doing an extension 

Could it be that Gute and Murphy were….. shocker…. Giving him the respect he deserves and giving him the chance to finish his career in Green Bay? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Chili said:

It was an all-in cap-saving deal.  Rodgers' deal freed up tons of cap space for last year.  Rasul, Campbell, Preston, Lowry, Packers were really hard-up against the cap, and would have needed to lose several guys who had been very productive the previous season, and were thought to be essential to our run-it-back chances. 

Coming out of the San Fran loss, everybody seemed to think our defense was perhaps poised to be one of the best in the league.  That we'd not need a great offense to perhaps go far.   And that if Myers and Bakhti and Jenkins came back, that our o-line could be superb, and might enable a great running attack to go with Rodgers the MVP QB.  

It was all about saving cap space for 2022.  

16 minutes ago, craig said:

Mike, I agree with your logic.  Jets are all-in for now, so very reluctant to trade #13.  I think for us to expect #13 plus other stuff, that's just not realistic for a 39-guy who may perhaps be a 1-year rental with cap problems after this year.  

I think it's totally reasonable to look for more value in the next draft than in this one.  And to have contingencies for those picks, depending on multiple variables (retirement, playoffs, snaps....).

That just seems way more practical, and acceptable to the Jets.  And it would be fine with me.  *IF* we get a 3rd or a 2nd this year, but might get a contingent 1st and maybe more next year, I don't see that as unreasonable.  

I think one could argue because they are all in that they need to give up the 13.

If the 13 is the only way to get Rodgers… that’s them going all in.

I don’t think it’s crazy to think that if Jets roll with another option or Wilson again that they will have similar results. And any rookie QB would require 1. More draft capital to go get and 2. A longer time line that the Jets coaching staff and GM potentially don’t have.

This is where everyone says the packers leverage comes from. Because it’s not crazy to say… given the options for the jets… that a deep playoff run or playoffs in general hinge on getting Rodgers.

Personally I think GB isn’t hard up to get the 13th, as I would be or as some fans are. I think their floor though is they need to walk away with the 43 pick. But it will be interesting.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

It doesn't sound like the Jets wants to give us their 2023 1st round pick because if they did the trade would've been completed by now.

There is a compromise that allows us to get substantial picks providing Rodgers does not retire next year.
At a minimum:

2023 2nd round pick
2024 1st round pick (if reaches superbowl or Rodgers doesn't retire) or 3rd round pick (If Rodgers retires)

The jets would take on Rodgers contract and give up little if he retires after one season. We get him off the books and gain some useful compensation. We win they win.

If the Jets reaches the superbowl or Rodgers chooses not to retire then we get a first round pick out of it thus making the trade more substantial for us and the Jets benefits from at least two years of high level QB play that may or may not result in a superbowl win. I think the Jets would be willing to give up a first round pick in this scenario.

A 2nd round pick and/or a very useful player or a 3rd for this years draft.  Next year if he plays a 1st round regardless how they do.  I don't want anything tied into how well they do next year .. if he plays, GB gets a 1st rounder.

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

Nothing stopping the Packers from trading Rodgers and bring in a bridge QB whilst we wait for Love to develop.

That was an option.

Like Craig mentioned above… it’s also cap saving move too. And again a bridge QB isn’t likely viewed as someone that would come in and deliver playoffs.

The front office was riding a fine line it seems. They didn’t want a bridge veteran. It was either all in with Rodgers and when those wheels fall off or Love “arrives” we are building with Jordan. And they likely viewed the first few years with Love as lost season from truly competing so all the cap hurt from Rodgers can be put on those years.

Im not saying it was the right approach, but they clearly wanted to be all in, until Love. So that required Rodgers. And it think this is what bugged Rodgers. Because it would be a year to year thing based solely on Loves development. It’s one of the reasons why I bet he felt throughout the 2022 season that they were ready to move on. He has eyes, he knows QBs… he likely saw the jump everyone else did.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

That was an option.

Because they thought they still had a chance at a super bowl. 

• Like 1