Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping for the same .. I want to see the Packers stick it to the Jets.  Their fans are obnoxious.  There's a couple of youtube goofs I want to see cry.

I haven’t had much interaction with Jets fans prior to this. 

They may be one of the most delusional fan bases out there. Many of them are throughly convinced they’re trading a 3rd for Aaron Rodgers.

5 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I find this stance to be incredibly disingenuous, and I keep seeing it mentioned on here and Twitter. Can the Packers keep Rodgers in a literal sense? Sure, but would they ever? Absolutely not. It would be significantly more beneficial for them to trade Rodgers for a future 7th round pick than it would be to not trade him before the season. Which is why I can’t help but shake my head when someone acts like the Packers can or would just hold onto Aaron if they don’t get what they are asking for. 

It's not so much a matter can the Packers do it but more would they do it and the answer is probably no.

That doesn't mean they should give him away for nothing now. They can easily wait this out to July/August if need be, given that it's very likely he is traded to the Jets at some point, and that Bahktiari is likely cut/traded in 2024, The Packers future cap prospects are much better than they have been since Covid forced them to "kick the can".

13 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

I find this stance to be incredibly disingenuous, and I keep seeing it mentioned on here and Twitter. Can the Packers keep Rodgers in a literal sense? Sure, but would they ever? Absolutely not. It would be significantly more beneficial for them to trade Rodgers for a future 7th round pick than it would be to not trade him before the season. Which is why I can’t help but shake my head when someone acts like the Packers can or would just hold onto Aaron if they don’t get what they are asking for. 

Can GB keep Rodgers for 2023, yes.

Is it a good decision from a cap perspective in 2024, no

Would GB push the limits of holding out for " better" trade value, unknown.

Similarly,  what's the alternative for NYJ is Rodgers isn't traded for?

Curious what you feel a fair trade value for Rodgers would be?

15 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Can the Packers keep Rodgers in a literal sense?

No.  But they can make it incredibly painful for the Jets in the process.  I think we can both agree that the Jets want/need Rodgers to be on the roster before the start of training camp.  Last year, that was end of July I believe so it's probably around the same time.  The longer that Rodgers isn't in camp helping teach the rest of the offense Hackett's offense and building his relationship with his receivers and OL, the harder it's going to get off on a good start offensively to begin the year.  And by that point, the QB market is going to dry up even more by then.

I mentioned it earlier, but if they don't agree to a trade by the end of this week I'm not sure we have a deal until the week of the draft.  At that point, neither side has any pressure to change their trade demands.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

And that period between the first week-ish of TC and the start of the regular season is probably when the Jets have the most leverage.  If the Packers wait until the week before the regular season, all their leverage goes out the door.

23 minutes ago, R T said:

And why would they do that? To win a pissing match with the Jets over a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick? Bakhtiari and Douglas are very good payers for the Packers and isn't that what they are trying to do? Get as many good players as possible is the point of building a team. All these people with a scorched earth mentality says an awful lot about them. 

The trade will get done and it will be fair value, just probably not the fair value that many have convinced themselves it should be. 

I sincerely doubt it's going to that point.  At the very latest, he'll be dealt a few weeks before the regular season for less than the Packers wanted to get in return.  That's Green Bay's "floor" in those trade discussions.  And I'd imagine they'd be able to get at the very least a Day 3 pick or two.  Let's say that they're confident the Jets would offer a 5th round pick for Rodgers at that point.  If you believe the Jets' offer is somewhere in the realm of the Favre trade, you're probably talking about a conditional pick somewhere in that 2nd-4th round range.  Would I make the Jets sweat over Rodgers being available for risking a 3rd round pick as opposed to a 5th round pick?  Absolutely.

37 minutes ago, R T said:

And why would they do that? To win a pissing match with the Jets over a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick? Bakhtiari and Douglas are very good payers for the Packers and isn't that what they are trying to do? Get as many good players as possible is the point of building a team. All these people with a scorched earth mentality says an awful lot about them. 

The trade will get done and it will be fair value, just probably not the fair value that many have convinced themselves it should be. 

Do you honestly think that Bak is not going to be a cap casualty next year, regardless? Or that GB would refuse to make their #3 CB a cap casualty at $11+m? 

it’s dumb to call this “scorched earth”. It’s negotiating. 

Edited by TransientTexan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And that period between the first week-ish of TC and the start of the regular season is probably when the Jets have the most leverage.  If the Packers wait until the week before the regular season, all their leverage goes out the door.

Unless there is an injury at QB for some team with playoff aspirations. 

27 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

It’s not disingenuous. It’s accurate. It’d be a lie to say that they “couldn’t”. 

I don’t think GB will refuse to budge from the “two 1st’s” demand. But a conditional 7th? I’m telling NYJ to get the F lost w/ that . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Can GB keep Rodgers for 2023, yes.

Is it a good decision from a cap perspective in 2024, no

Would GB push the limits of holding out for " better" trade value, unknown.

Similarly,  what's the alternative for NYJ is Rodgers isn't traded for?

Curious what you feel a fair trade value for Rodgers would be?

To be fair, I find Jet fans saying “we can just pivot back to Zach Wilson” to be just as disingenuous as Packer fans saying they can hold onto Rodgers this year. However, the long-term ramifications of GB keeping Rodgers this year is far worse than the Jets having to acquire & start a veteran QB like Ryan Tannehill or Teddy Bridgewater. Because of this, the Jets are the only team with any kind of leverage (and it’s not much). 

My belief is both teams are probably much closer to a deal then us fans are to agreeing on fair value. I think Rodgers is worth a late 1st round pick (at least in total value of compensation), but firmly believe he’s not worth the 13th overall pick. Something near a 2nd/3rd this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd in ‘24 that can escalate to a 1st rounder with realistic conditions based on Rodgers play (not team success), IE. Packers get a 1st if Rodgers throws for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. Could also see the Jets sending the Packers a mid-round pick (4th?) in ‘25 if Rodgers plays in 2024.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

It’s not disingenuous. It’s accurate. It’d be a lie to say that they “couldn’t”. 

I don’t think GB will refuse to budge from the “two 1st’s” demand. But a conditional 7th? I’m telling NYJ to get the F lost w/ that . 

And I’m telling you, not trading Rodgers for lesser compensation than desired just out of spite would be a historically bad business move and would almost assuredly cost Gutey his job. 

Gutey can “cave” and it won’t lead to his firing. His job security is directly tied to the future success of Jordan Love. He has no reason to even risk the worst case scenario coming true over getting a little less compensation than he wants. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

And I’m telling you, not trading Rodgers for lesser compensation than desired just out of spite would be a historically bad business move and would almost assuredly cost Gutey his job. 

Gutey can “cave” and it won’t lead to his firing. His job security is directly tied to the future success of Jordan Love. He has no reason to even risk the worst case scenario coming true over getting a little less compensation than he wants. 

Though I agree GB wants to make a deal, your selling point misses the mark. Hands down, the GM with job insecurity in this transaction is JD. He hands the ball to Zach to start the season...he better have his office stuff boxed up already.