Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

9 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

...Maybe a starting QB will bust a knee cap into OTAs which could cause the Jets to immediately cave to our demands less another team gets involved...

A common idea is that new bidders might emerge if/when a QB-injury happens.  

Question:  Are there actually teams with enough unused salary cap to absorb Rodgers' cap hit? 

2 minutes ago, craig said:

A common idea is that new bidders might emerge if/when a QB-injury happens.  

Question:  Are there actually teams with enough unused salary cap to absorb Rodgers' cap hit? 

Probably .. his cap hit is only around 15 mil this year.  

Edited by {Family Ghost}

Personally I would like all this resolved before the draft, the longer we wait the more free agents we miss out.

I don't think the Packers can make many more moves without knowing exactly how much cap space is left after the trade is consummated.

I'm getting nervous seeing the TE market slowly being whittled down and Austin Hooper is still there. Won't be long now before other teams start sniffing around.

Have to say… I kind of want this to drag out as long as it possibly can.

the daily group therapy sessions media jets fans go thru is pretty entertaining. For someone that doesn’t want his team to give up draft picks… Rich is pretty desperate for a guy he has been critical of to be on his team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm pretty sure the Packers weren't going to be aggressive in the FA market even if Rodgers was traded 2 months ago.

Agreed. IMO, the Packers contention window closed after 2021. This is easier to defend in hindsight. Even aside even from paying the piper on the cap from all the can-pushing, they need a roster rebuild, or at least a mini one--somewhere between a "reload" and a full rebuild over multiple seasons via draft/free agency. Not ideal for starting the Love era, but it is what it is. When Rodgers mentioned on McAfee that he told the Packers he wanted nothing to do with a rebuild, I can't help but wonder if that was not merely his guess of what was needed to contend again, but also of what Gutekunst might have told him privately in January. Of course, no GM trashes their current players by openly saying they need a rebuild, but it is there, unspoken. Such a rebuild of any proportion will take time, certainly more than just one draft and/or one season of talent development. 

Since Rodgers knows he isn't getting any younger, his time is limited, and he wants another shot at a title, I can't blame him for wanting out of Green Bay, nor can I blame Green Bay for wanting him out of Green Bay! It's a lose-lose proposition for them both to maintain this relationship.

My main point is, the contention window is closed. It will take time and patience to open up another one down the road. That is why I am not fretting about what we get for him in a trade, that is, other than for PR/Brand Image sake, not hastily getting low-balled, at least not by the first team that comes around trying to fleece us because they know we are in a cap pickle. Even if we got the unrealistic 2 FRPs, it still wouldn't be enough to put us back in contention this season and we can't avoid the pain--at least all of it-- from having to pay the piper now on the burdensome Rodgers contract. Call it "scorched earth mentality" all you want, but that unwise Rodgers contract was when the earth first got scorched. We will be in hell for awhile no matter what. What's a little more? I'd rather keep our dignity and self-respect through it all, than allow vultures to start picking at us, at least before it is for certain we are dead and there will be no rescue (i.e., another team entering into the trade mix at some later point). 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

What's the Packers end game if this deal falls apart?  Would they pay Aaron 30 mil to retire?  Would he take it if offered?  If it gets far enough and the Jets are offering peanuts I'd sure want to stick them with nothing .. just not sure how you handle things if Aaron comes to camp.  You can't lock him out of camp .. that would be a circus.  

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

What's the Packers end game if this deal falls apart?  Would they pay Aaron 30 mil to retire?  Would he take it if offered?  If it gets far enough and the Jets are offering peanuts I'd sure want to stick them with nothing .. just not sure how you handle things if Aaron comes to camp.  You can't lock him out of camp .. that would be a circus.  

That's the million $$$ question for sure. I wouldn't take the $30 mil to retire if I were him i'd show up and eat McDonalds on the sidelines instead for my chunk of the $60 million remaining. And like ya alluded to, can't really lock him away, he kind of mentioned they don't want him to show up anyways? But then i'd imagine lawyers and NFLPA would get involved, messy.

Edit: I can't imagine either, even IF it got to this, that they would say... go further nuclear and suspend him for 'conduct detrimental to the team' or whatever the Eagles pulled with Owens after he was doing sit-ups in his driveway.

Edited by Laces Out