Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

This I could get on board with. We'd probably have to take Trey Lance back as part of the deal and eat some of his dead money. 

I don't really want Trey Lance, but he'd be worth a flyer as a backup for a year then trade him. 

Why would the Niners trade Lance to a team with a franchise QB? Trade him to Atlanta, Washington, Tenn, Indy, etc...

The part that always hangs me up is how much is one year worth? For the Rams, it was 2 FRPs (Stafford is injured and in decline). Even in retrospect, I doubt they regret that payment. 

For Rodgers, I think 1 year is 1 FRP+ (higher age than QBs in recent deals offset by higher skills than other recent QB deals). The other QBs were traded for as part of a long term solution, but went for multiple 1s.

So I can see #13 for this year (and some combination from players/2nd/3rd), a 2024 FRP if the Jets make the Super Bowl this year (2nd if Championshop, 3rd if playoffs), and the same structure for the following year plus a 4th or something just for suiting up in 2024.

So if the Jets make two consecutive Super Bowls, it's 3 FRPS. If they don't make the playoffs and Rodgers retires after 2023, it's 1 FRP and change. 

I'd be willing to eat all Rodgers compensation under that scenario. 

That may be aggressively unrealistic for some on here (two thirds, really?), but I have a hard time accepting that Rodgers is less valuable (even at his age) than Stafford, Wilson, or Watson. However, because the other QBs were seen as long term solutions (except Stafford who was brought in to win a Super Bowl and shed Goff's contract), they did fetch a large price.

I just can't see Rodgers going for less than Davante and should go for a package similar to Stafford as long as the Packers eat the money. 

Edited by Smidgeon
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

The part that always hangs me up is how much is one year worth? For the Rams, it was 2 FRPs (Stafford is injured and in decline). Even in retrospect, I doubt they regret that payment. 

For Rodgers, I think 1 year is 1 FRP+ (higher age than QBs in recent deals offset by higher skills than other recent QB deals). The other QBs were traded for as part of a long term solution, but went for multiple 1s.

So I can see #13 for this year (and combination of players/2nd/3rd), a 2024 FRP if the Jets make the Super Bowl this year (2nd if Championshop, 3rd if playoffs), and the same structure for the following year plus a 4th or something just for suiting up in 2024.

So if the Jets make two consecutive Super Bowls, it's 3 FRPS. If they don't make the playoffs and Rodgers retires after 2023, it's 1 FRP and change. 

I'd be willing to eat all Rodgers compensation under that scenario. 

That may be aggressively unrealistic for some on here (two thirds, really?), but I have a hard time accepting that Rodgers is less valuable (even at his age) than Stafford, Wilson, or Watson. However, because the other QBs were seen as long term solutions (except Stafford who was brought in to win a Super Bowl and shed Goff's contract), they did fetch a large price.

I just can't see Rodgers going for less than Davante and should go for a package similar to Stafford as long as the Packers eat the money. 

I think it is silly to get a first round pick in the upper half of the draft for a 39 year old QB who was 90% retired a few weeks ago.

Ridiculous really.

But the NFL has kind of set the bar there, regarding recent QB trades.

I view this situation kind of like Baltimore and Jackson. 

GB is Jackson, (Watson got what again?)  Stafford got a lot of picks, Wilson got more, the corpse of Matt Ryan got what again?  Carson Wentz got what again? 

Jets are Baltimore.  Just because someone else made a stupid deal (Deshaun Watson contract), doesn't mean we have to.

Gimme two second round picks and let's move on.  Oh and I want to flip flop our first round picks.  That's do it for me.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Smidgeon said:

Yes, that is how many Packers fans see it.  How many Jets fans see it is that there is a distinction between what Rodgers would be worth in trade compensation in comparison to other player trades vs. how much they would have to give up to a desperate team trying to unload Rodgers (i.e., "How low can we go?") I can't blame Jets fans for thinking that way, especially when some Packers fans preach a "take whatever you can get" (= "Agree to whatever they offer, after all, it is better than nothing.")  Of course, that doesn't mean there can't be a bit of wiggle, a bit of compromise. But there is a significant difference between compromise and flat-out knowingly getting fleeced. The latter many of us must reject on principle in a world increasingly wussified, abandoning all principle.

Edited by DWhitehurst

46 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Would love this,  could end up being a top 15 next year. Love Moore!

him being on the roster on the 5th day of the year is when ? March, he could retire and come out to avoid compensation..

Edited by fattlipp

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think it is silly to get a first round pick in the upper half of the draft for a 39 year old QB who was 90% retired a few weeks ago.

Ridiculous really.

But the NFL has kind of set the bar there, regarding recent QB trades.

I view this situation kind of like Baltimore and Jackson. 

GB is Jackson, (Watson got what again?)  Stafford got a lot of picks, Wilson got more, the corpse of Matt Ryan got what again?  Carson Wentz got what again? 

Jets are Baltimore.  Just because other someone else made stupid deals (Deshaun Watson), doesn't mean we have to.

Gimme two second round picks and let's move on.  Oh and I want to flip flop our first round picks.  That's do it for me.

90 percent retired .. that was bull.  He's going to wind up playing two or three more years .. just doesn't like the offseason crap.  Even at that any deal is going to be conditional past 2023.  I think he's easily worth pick #13 to that Jets team.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

90 percent retired .. that was bull.  He's going to wind up playing two or three more years .. just doesn't like the offseason crap.  Even at that any deal is going to be conditional past 2023.  I think he's easily worth pick #13 to that Jets team.

I'm taking Rodgers on his word.  And yeah...I get yah.

If he's playing 3 years, I'm wanting more, I'm getting more. 

I don't see him playing 3 more years.  I see him playing one.  He just doesn't want to retire with Brady.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree. Rodgers had mentioned on McAfee how he told the Packers he "didn't want to be part of a rebuild." A rebuild--or at least a mini one--is what the Packers need, which will not happen overnight. I can't blame him for that. He knows he has limited time left and wants another ring. His consideration of retirement more likely was along the lines of that he knew his contention window with the Packers was done and what if he didn't end up being traded to another team that immediately would be a legit contender with him as their QB (e.g., what if the Packers ended up trying to trade him to the Texans?)

5 hours ago, spilltray said:

Yes 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

OMG.  YES!!!

Let him retire a Packer after only having worn our jersey.  Brandt put it out there very nicely.  

Blows my mind the amount of Packer fans in this thread that agree with this sentiment. You can't just assume that Rodgers will retire if GB does not trade him. In fact, I would bet against him retiring. To recap, if Rodgers is on the Packers this season then he will cost $60M in cash payouts, and around $100M worth of cap charges over the next couple seasons. Taking two 3rd in order to get rid of his contract is 1000 times the better move then holding onto him out of “respect/pride”. NOT saying that the Jets will acquire him for two 3rds by the way, or that he’s only worth that. I believe he’s worth more and the Packers will definitely get more.

Edited by BlaZeN37
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Blows my mind the amount of Packer fans in this thread that agree with this sentiment. You can't just assume that Rodgers will retire if GB does not trade him. In fact, I would bet against him retiring. To recap, if Rodgers is on the Packers this season then he will cost $60M in cash payouts, and around $100M worth of cap charges over the next couple seasons. Taking two 3rd in order to get rid of his contract is 1000 times the better move then holding onto him out of “respect/pride”. NOT saying that the Jets will acquire him for two 3rds by the way. 

Its not even really about forcing him to retire here. 

But if we hold on to him until Sept, and then "fold" for your two 3rds, thats still mutual destruction. 

Rodgers starts cold. And with absolutely zero practice work with his new squad and coach do you think he's coming out guns blazing? As you may, or may not, have seen with the Packers this year, he cant necessarily claw himself back into contention. Couple slip ups early, did you just miss your little Rodgers window, while still not finding a QB of the future?

**** us? Well, also **** you.

Edited by HighCalebR

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm taking Rodgers on his word.  And yeah...I get yah.

If he's playing 3 years, I'm wanting more, I'm getting more. 

I don't see him playing 3 more years.  I see him playing one.  He just doesn't want to retire with Brady.

If the jets play half way decent in 2023, Rodgers won't retire in 2024.  There's no way that happens, Rodgers likes to play and be the man.  If the jets stink, maybe just maybe he's gone but I don't see it that way.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Its not even really about forcing him to retire here. 

But if we hold on to him until Sept, and then "fold" for your two 3rds, thats still mutual destruction. 

Rodgers starts cold. And with absolutely zero practice work with his new squad and coach do you think he's coming out guns blazing? As you may, or may not, have seen with the Packers this year, he cant necessarily claw himself back into contention. Couple slip ups early, did you just miss your little Rodgers window, while still not finding a QB of the future?

**** us? Well, also **** you.

If (they won't wait this long) GB has Aaron on their roster within days of the option date (your reference to September), GB starts talking about sending a 1 with Aaron in exchange for a 7th rounder just so they don't have to stomach the 60 million 1 year cap charge or deal with a 70 million dollar dead charge next year.