Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

25 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Why in the hell would the Packers decide to have Rodgers come back?  IT IS TIME TO MOVE ON ..  it's Love time. 

Heard the Packers tried at some point before the darkness to get him to commit to the offseason stuff and he didn’t or wouldn't.  If that's true, I'm sure it didn't go over well at 1265.

This should be the end of the leverage debate:

Jets FO jobs are tied to Aaron Rodgers

GB FO jobs are tied to Jordan Love

GB interests are secure, whatever happens to Aaron Rodgers is irrelevant to keeping their jobs. Everything is tied to Jordan Love and the rosters they give him now.

Jets FO quite simply need him (or another, more desperate move) to keep theirs.

• Like 2

Like the worst case scenario for the Packers is to eat $31,623,568 in cap space to have Rodgers around (which is accounted for already) and then to cut him in 2024 for $24,480,000 in dead cap.

Meanwhile the worst case scenario for the Jets is that they roll out with Zach Wilson again, and go like 6-11 because the defense is still good which isn't bad enough to get Caleb Williams but both Saleh and Douglas would likely be (justifiably) fired.

Like Saleh is a good coach and I think highly of him, but he's 10-23.  He needs to make the playoffs to keep his job.  The job of "figuring out who's going to be the for the Jets in 4 years" can either fall to Saleh and Douglas if they can make a run at it this year, or it can fall to the next HC and GM, it's up to them.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

It's like they forget that this contract was DESIGNED to have Rodgers be around for the first three years of the deal. It was also made so it was tolerable, if painful, to have him retire - or be traded - at any point.

Not to mention that if Rodgers is done after 2023, he'd have zero reasons not to rework his 2024 salary to the vets' minimum and have them file his retirement paperwork after June 1st (a common practice for retiring players on bigger contracts) to spread the hit into 2025, when the salary cap is expected to be $50m higher than it is now. 

This whole situation has really made me question Joe Douglas as a GM. Gute is gonna eat his lunch.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

If pick #13 is the hold up could they settle it with something like this?

Packers get #13 in 2023, but if Aaron only plays one season with the Jets the Packers give them a 2nd in 2024.  If Aaron plays a second season with the Jets the Packers keep the 2nd. 

It would be a 2025 second (to avoid having Rodgers "retire" for the draft), but yes totally feasible.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

So is GB just supposed to accept a “conditional 7th”? F that. GB could take their lumps in 2024, & then be home free in 2025. cut Bak & Rasul as expected, then add a couple restructures. 

& NYJ FO can kiss their jobs goodbye. 

When you face the reality that we need multiple seasons for a rebuild anyways and Love likely will need at least a couple seasons to reach his full potential (whatever that ceiling is, good, fair, or bad), it makes consideration of the "worst case scenario" much easier to handle. None of us wants that, but as you said in an earlier post, you have to be willing and resolved to walk away from the table--genuinely, not just bluffing. That doesn't mean you can't budge whatsover, but it does mean you will not allow yourself to be run over. If they sense you do not have the will nor the resolve to walk away, you've already lost the negotiations. And why do some assume it is absolutely ruled out that another potential trade partner might come along, not to mention one that might offer at least a little more than the peanuts the Jets Vultures apparently are offering? My dream is Belichick suddenly enters the mix. Can you imagine the conniption fits of the Jets fans?! 

Edited by DWhitehurst

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If pick #13 is the hold up could they settle it with something like this?

Packers get #13 in 2023, but if Aaron only plays one season with the Jets the Packers give them a 2nd in 2024.  If Aaron plays a second season with the Jets the Packers keep the 2nd. 

Yes.  But what @Sandy would be the correct way to protect it.  Either that, or put the protection on something like Rodgers' being under contract by Day X of the new league year.  Basically, either he retires or the Jets cut him and eat a ton of dead cap if they want their pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

I find it interesting that we never heard anything about Love being shopped. Its not like the packers were just doing diligence on all potential avenues while rodgers was in darkness. 

There was no talk of Love for a first to help rodge run it back. This org feels so highly about love

I doubt they would've gotten a first back or even fair value just due to the lack of playing time Love has received and the fact they were in a pinch with Rodgers on the roster. Even if he was coming back, keeping Love always made the most sense because AR probably has 1, maybe 2 years left at max.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I doubt they would've gotten a first back or even fair value just due to the lack of playing time Love has received and the fact they were in a pinch with Rodgers on the roster. Even if he was coming back, keeping Love always made the most sense because AR probably has 1, maybe 2 years left at max.

Why just "1, maybe 2 years left at max"? Is that guess based on his physical capacity to play at a sufficient level? Or is it based on a potential waning interest in the yearly grind? Or?

Reason I ask is that my own guess is that ideally Rodgers wants at least one more ring before he retires, and if he is on a team that he thinks can legitimately contend in one or more upcoming seasons, then he's going to keep playing...at least until age has its way and he can't perform at a level he can be satisfied with. So that could be possibly be even 3 seasons, that is, unless you think your Jets wouldn't be legit contenders with Rodgers as your QB over the course of the next 3 seasons.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dafreak said:

So Jordan Love is the next generational Packers QB to win 1 super bowl? I'll take it! :D

If we get another Super Bowl in the next 15 years, I will also take it!

Compared to the alternative of zero in 50 years. (If we're saying history repeats itself for Love's tenure)

Edited by HighCalebR

1 minute ago, DWhitehurst said:

Why just "1, maybe 2 years left at max"? Is that guess based on his physical capacity to play at a sufficient level? Or is it based on a potential waning interest in the yearly grind? Or?

Reason I ask is that my own guess is that ideally Rodgers wants at least one more ring before he retires, and if he is on a team that he thinks can legitimately contend in one or more upcoming seasons, then he's going to keep playing...at least until age has its way and he can't perform at a level he can be satisfied with. So that could be possibly be even 3 seasons, that is, unless you think your Jets wouldn't be legit contenders with Rodgers as your QB over the course of the next 3 seasons.

He said that he was close to retiring this off-season and typically guys call it quits fairly quickly once they start mentioning the "R" word. His decision to play this year makes sense because he'll avoid being in the same HOF class as Brady and he gets a $60M bonus. If the Jets win the Super Bowl I could see him retiring after next year, if they get close I could see him coming back for 2024 (I believe he's set to make $50M cash in '24), but if things don't go as planned I just have a hard time seeing him playing beyond next season. 

I'd say 2 years max because if they're good but don't get over the hump he can chase another ring in '24 with $50M in cash incentives. But if they don't win it in 2024, I don't see anyway that he comes back for 2025 considering his potential earnings take a nose dive after 23/24. I'd imagine that seeing guys like Peyton, Brees, and Brady hanging on a little too long will probably factor into his decision as well. 

And I'm not a Jets fan.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Nah. None of this matters for the FO keeping their jobs. They are tied to Jordan Love's success. It doesn't matter one tiny bit how this Rodgers situation turns out for them for them keeping their jobs.

I do not believe for one second that this is true. I don't think anyone is on the hotseat, but if the FO decides to make some of the moves the fanbase seems to be suggesting they would be shown the door in a heartbeat. There is a lot of emotion here. I saw someone say that keeping Rodgers for 2024 would be preferable to two third round picks. That decision would get the FO fired.